A "Oh no, not another question about wearing medals" question...

Afternoon All

Apologies, I've probably posted this question into the wrong forum....but it has been like seven years since I last posted so bear with me!!

I've been asked to attend a funeral of WW2 Veteran on Friday in my role at RBL Branch Secretary; question I have, is it protocol/requirement to wear medals and/or beret with regi blazer and tie? I appreciate I'm now a Civvy and can wear what I want without fear of a wombat-bashing on Monday morning and more change parades than at a Lady Gaga concert, but I want to do my best for the Veteran.

Cheers

Schmoo

Afternoon All

Apologies, I've probably posted this question into the wrong forum....but it has been like seven years since I last posted so bear with me!!

I've been asked to attend a funeral of WW2 Veteran on Friday in my role at RBL Branch Secretary; question I have, is it protocol/requirement to wear medals and/or beret with regi blazer and tie? I appreciate I'm now a Civvy and can wear what I want without fear of a wombat-bashing on Monday morning and more change parades than at a Lady Gaga concert, but I want to do my best for the Veteran.

Cheers

Schmoo
Take your pick from any of the answers here: Search Results for Query: medals, funeral | Army Rumour Service

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
British veteran - wear battledress and tin lid
German veteran - wear a nice black Hugo Boss suit

Afternoon All

Cheers

Schmoo
This will move to an appropriate forum quite soon.

As a Branch Officer you should have easy access to the Ceremonial Handbook. You cannot "wear what you want" if you are representing the RBL.

Try here for starters.

RBL - Members' etiquette - dress code, medals and badges

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Greatcoat, wellies and a baseball cap worn with the peak at the back is the order of the day. Shovel GS (in case the gravediggers aren't quite finished) and a tin of baked beans (held in the left hand) optional.

MsG

This will move to an appropriate forum quite soon.

As a Branch Officer you should have easy access to the Ceremonial Handbook. You cannot "wear what you want" if you are representing the RBL.

Try here for starters.

RBL - Members' etiquette - dress code, medals and badges
Hi Arte_et_Marte

Thanks for the comments. I'm new to the role, so still wet behind the ears so to speak. The funeral is not an official RBL event, as the Veteran is not a RBL member. However, the family have asked if we can attend given his service. As it is my first funeral, I want to ensure I follow the protocols as accurately as I can.

I tried the link you kindly gave, but couldn't find an answer to what I was asking.

Thanks

Schmoo

@Schmoo27,

Your Google must be broken.

Look at https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/media/1968/membersetiquettefaq.pdf

Does the Legion provide any guidance on the wearing of medals outside Legion events?
The Royal British Legion has no jurisdiction to issue any guidance on medal wearing at non-Legion
events.
Either Google is broken or I'm being dull, but I couldn't find anything to help answer my query in the link attached. I think all I need to know is if I'm attending a funeral for a Veteran (unknown to me) as a RBL Branch Officer, is there a requirement to wear medals and beret.

Cheers

Schmoo

Either Google is broken or I'm being dull, but I couldn't find anything to help answer my query in the link attached. I think all I need to know is if I'm attending a funeral for a Veteran (unknown to me) as a RBL Branch Officer, is there a requirement to wear medals and beret.

Cheers

Schmoo
Nobody can force you to wear anything.

However the RBL can enforce protocols if you are at an official event, as an official representative and actually wearing medals.

If I was you (and I am a member of the RBL) I would wear blazer with my old Corps tie and issued medals (no bling) no beret, and otherwise cleany presented.

Remember though, this day, it's not about you. Low key and respectful is the answer.

Cheers

Schmoo
I was being a bit flippant.

From the link:
Does the Legion provide any guidance on the wearing of medals outside Legion events?
The Royal British Legion has no jurisdiction to issue any guidance on medal wearing at non-Legion
events.

That tells me that if you are attending a Funeral (which is not an RBL event), the RBL has no say in whether you should wear medals.
I would contact the Funeral Director and get them to ask the Next of Kin (unless you are already in contact with Next of Kin) what they would like you to wear.

Nobody can force you to wear anything.

However the RBL can enforce protocols if you are at an official event, as an official representative and actually wearing medals.

If I was you (and I am a member of the RBL) I would wear blazer with my old Corps tie and issued medals (no bling) no beret, and otherwise cleany presented.

Remember though, this day, it's not about you. Low key and respectful is the answer.
Thanks Arte_et_Marte. This was along the line I was thinking but suppose wanted confirmation. First time of being asked to assist at funeral (and of a Veteran of whom I did not know) and wanted to ensure whatever I did/wear was respectful and right for the Veteran.

By bling, are you referring to pin badges such as the Legion pin badge and Veteran's badge?

Thanks

Thanks Arte_et_Marte. This was along the line I was thinking but suppose wanted confirmation. First time of being asked to assist at funeral (and of a Veteran of whom I did not know) and wanted to ensure whatever I did/wear was respectful and right for the Veteran.

By bling, are you referring to pin badges such as the Legion pin badge and Veteran's badge?

Thanks
No mate. Wear your veterans badge and RBL colours with pride.

I am talking about purchased medals (BAOR medal and suchlike) when I refer to 'bling.'

(Although, interestingly, RBL standard bearers are not allowed to wear a veterens badge when on duty.)