A nurse stole a dying war veterans wallet

they walk among us......

A nurse stole a dying war veteran's wallet to pay a telephone bill, Liverpool Magistrates' Court heard.
Veronica Harold, 47, admitted theft and fraud by falsely using 83-year-old Albert Davies's Barclays Bank card to pay a £248 BT bill.

She took the wallet while it was inside his bedside locker at Fazakerley Hospital in Liverpool last August.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/6970412.stm

Well what do you expect with the words "Nurse and Liverpool in the same sentence"

burn the witch.... she obviously is....

I feel for the nurses, as they are an underpaid, under-acknowledged, and highly skilled set of key workers (much like the Army), but theft is theft, and it's wrong!

chimp503 said:
Well what do you expect with the words "Nurse and Liverpool in the same sentence"
This is not the NAAFI bar, this the serious bit. So are there not many hundreds of Nurses in Liverpool who look after the many hundreds of Veterans there too? I myself have been looked after in in a number of hospitals accross Liverpool and found the nurses and staff to be spot on.
Unfortunately this isolated incident has happened and without sounding like I am defending the woman which I am not, does anyone else not find the fact that a nurse has to steal to pay her phone bill pretty terrible too? She should not have done what she did but she has been punished now and hopefully realised what she did was very wrong, especially to a man of that age and background.

Mag_to_grid said:
chimp503 said:
This is not the NAAFI bar, this the serious bit. So are there not many hundreds of Nurses in Liverpool who look after the many hundreds of Veterans there too? I myself have been looked after in in a number of hospitals accross Liverpool and found the nurses and staff to be spot on.
Unfortunately this isolated incident has happened and without sounding like I am defending the woman which I am not, does anyone else not find the fact that a nurse has to steal to pay her phone bill pretty terrible too? She should not have done what she did but she has been punished now and hopefully realised what she did was very wrong, especially to a man of that age and background.
Apologies you are right - should of not made light of it....but

Mag_to_grid did it not occur to her not to use her mobile, I dont know but I suspect that is what her phone bill is for... not actually a neccessity is it, priorities is something sadly lacking when money and debt rear their ugly heads, I tend to lean on the side of pessimism when it comes to someones character, you can rest assured she is only sorry because she was caught

Mag_to_grid said:
Unfortunately this isolated incident has happened and without sounding like I am defending the woman which I am not, does anyone else not find the fact that a nurse has to steal to pay her phone bill pretty terrible too?
Nope cos the article says she was also giving money to her druggie son.

chimp503 said:
Mag_to_grid said:
chimp503 said:
Apologies you are right - should of not made light of it....but

Mag_to_grid did it not occur to her not to use her mobile, I dont know but I suspect that is what her phone bill is for... not actually a neccessity is it, priorities is something sadly lacking when money and debt rear their ugly heads, I tend to lean on the side of pessimism when it comes to someones character, you can rest assured she is only sorry because she was caught
My bold. I agree with that statement 100%. It's the wishy washy "You've paid your debt now carry on" attitude tha's resulted in half the theft that goes on in the country (In lots of countries).

Mag_to_grid said:
does anyone else not find the fact that a nurse has to steal to pay her phone bill pretty terrible too? She should not have done what she did but she has been punished now and hopefully realised what she did was very wrong, especially to a man of that age and background.
No. She has been found guilty.

Given that she :
a) is female
b) is a mother
c) is a nursing assistant
d) has a socially excluded son (i.e. has drug debts)
e) is bereaved of another son
f) has paid (or will pay, I forget) back the money
g) and this suggests that this is the first time she has been caught (I detest the term "first offence")

could she expect a conditional discharge?

Note that she is suspended on full pay. Free holidays for thieves in the NHS? I'd have had her cutting the grass with nail scissors from the moment she was suspected until she pleaded guilty. Then it would be instant chop - and if she needed treatment for some future medical condition, bring a tent.

chimp503 said:
wind yer neck in you cnut, the nurses are on the whole a dedicated, overworked, underpaid, decent group ofpeople who dont deserve shite like that thrown at them

One person caught should not throw sh1t on the whole profession.

Your personal kit is at far greater risk of theft from some of the visitors who wander unchecked through any hospital. The only reason I did not cross the road to avoid them was that I couldn't get my dripstand over the kerb.

Hear hear Auxie. There are always a few bad apples. All the nursing staff i ever met were good eggs.

I agree withe Carftsmanx. But shouldnt we be having a pop at BT as well for robbing the Nurse blind (On her low wage).... £248 phone bill, FFS how many people here have got close to that?

She still needs her hand cutting off for theft (See, we can learn from the Muslims)

Latest Threads