A Northern Biff In The Souths Return To Modelling

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
In a blatant rip off of TheManWhos thread, and between reading all your posts this last few months and the big sister buying me the revell Star Wars Millennium Falcon for christmas ( the tiny one, the stingy cow ) I finally (re)took the plunge and went and stocked up the last couple of days between Hobbycraft and hamazon. now I was very keen on model building in the past (if not finishing them) and still have a load of kit (pardon the pun) in storage since I moved down to the lawless and Hollands steak pudding-less wastes of Surrey.

modelling 1.jpg

not bad at all - nicely detailed, clean moldings and for a four inch long kit quite acceptable on the detail front.
however, not wanting to screw it up on the first go I thought I'd get my eye in a bit first, so I picked up the Rebel Snowspeeder kit as well to have a bit of a practice on, and I won't feel guilty if I screw it up -

modelling 3.jpg

same size when finished, and again, nice moldings and really good detail for the size -

modelling 6.jpg

only a couple of bits of flash and a nice canopy -

modelling 7.jpg

and the usual overkill on the paint and bits and bobs -

modelling 8.jpg

and as Hobbycraft very kindly gave me a 15% off voucher with the first load of gear, I picked up their Airfix F.22/24 Spit -

modelling 4.jpg

same price on amazon so I got it a bit cheaper with the HC voucher (and you get another for a fiver on your birthday). very nice on first glance, but then after one of you mentioned this is a rebox of an Eduard kit I'm not surprised. (although looking around I see Eduard's 'weekend editions' are going online for a lot cheaper, so I will definitely be trying one of those at some point, or one of the profipack offerings if I think I can do it justice.)

so made a minor start on the Snowspeeder tonight - I'll definitely want some new brushes at some point, but I don't want to go bonkers either as I don't have a lot of room here. still, was lovely to be back in the saddle and I was reminded how therapeutic it is. I'm definitely going to have to be careful I don't pick up AMS from you lot however...

incidentally, for you armour heads on here, HC are doing Tamiya's Chieftain for £21 and the Stug for £17. I was tempted but tbh I don't know where these are going to go when (not if!) I get them finished. oh, and the hankering for a Harrier I mentioned? I found the gr.1 Transatlantic Air Race boxing from Italeri on Amazon for £14 posted. so that's on the way too.

thanks to everyone who's answered my (possibly bone) questions the last week or so. this is a really nice little corner of Arrse.

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Yeah I "dipped my toe back in" a short while ago and now have sixteen kits boxed up in the shed with an strong intent to build them "sometime soon". The first step to joining a support group is getting yourself a solid addiction in the first place - welcome back to the fray.

Welcome on board and good to have you In the forum.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
In a blatant rip off of TheManWhos thread, and between reading all your posts this last few months and the big sister buying me the revell Star Wars Millennium Falcon for christmas ( the tiny one, the stingy cow ) I finally (re)took the plunge and went and stocked up the last couple of days between Hobbycraft and hamazon. now I was very keen on model building in the past (if not finishing them) and still have a load of kit (pardon the pun) in storage since I moved down to the lawless and Hollands steak pudding-less wastes of Surrey.

View attachment 566168

not bad at all - nicely detailed, clean moldings and for a four inch long kit quite acceptable on the detail front.
however, not wanting to screw it up on the first go I thought I'd get my eye in a bit first, so I picked up the Rebel Snowspeeder kit as well to have a bit of a practice on, and I won't feel guilty if I screw it up -

View attachment 566170

same size when finished, and again, nice moldings and really good detail for the size -

View attachment 566171

only a couple of bits of flash and a nice canopy -

View attachment 566172

and the usual overkill on the paint and bits and bobs -

View attachment 566174

and as Hobbycraft very kindly gave me a 15% off voucher with the first load of gear, I picked up their Airfix F.22/24 Spit -

View attachment 566175
same price on amazon so I got it a bit cheaper with the HC voucher (and you get another for a fiver on your birthday). very nice on first glance, but then after one of you mentioned this is a rebox of an Eduard kit I'm not surprised. (although looking around I see Eduard's 'weekend editions' are going online for a lot cheaper, so I will definitely be trying one of those at some point, or one of the profipack offerings if I think I can do it justice.)

so made a minor start on the Snowspeeder tonight - I'll definitely want some new brushes at some point, but I don't want to go bonkers either as I don't have a lot of room here. still, was lovely to be back in the saddle and I was reminded how therapeutic it is. I'm definitely going to have to be careful I don't pick up AMS from you lot however...

incidentally, for you armour heads on here, HC are doing Tamiya's Chieftain for £21 and the Stug for £17. I was tempted but tbh I don't know where these are going to go when (not if!) I get them finished. oh, and the hankering for a Harrier I mentioned? I found the gr.1 Transatlantic Air Race boxing from Italeri on Amazon for £14 posted. so that's on the way too.

thanks to everyone who's answered my (possibly bone) questions the last week or so. this is a really nice little corner of Arrse.
...And the best of British luck to you in your blatant plagiarism!

In all seriousness, good to see someone else taking the plunge; modelling has definitely filled a gap in the last 4 months for me. When (and if) lockdown is unlocked, I will be hoping to continue , but it does appear to become increasingly expensive...

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
...And the best of British luck to you in your blatant plagiarism!

In all seriousness, good to see someone else taking the plunge; modelling has definitely filled a gap in the last 4 months for me. When (and if) lockdown is unlocked, I will be hoping to continue , but it does appear to become increasingly expensive...

I don't know. kits definitely seem to - hence my questions re Airfix and 'are they really worth it now?' (£40 for a 1/48 meteor?? even Amazon want £20 for their 1/72 gr.3 harrier ffs.) Hobbycraft have been handy - one next to the Asda round the corner from me and their Tamiya acrylics are £2.20 a pot.

but yeah. should have done this ages ago. now whether I can keep putting the time in...

I don't know. kits definitely seem to - hence my questions re Airfix and 'are they really worth it now?' (£40 for a 1/48 meteor?? even Amazon want £20 for their 1/72 gr.3 harrier ffs.) Hobbycraft have been handy - one next to the Asda round the corner from me and their Tamiya acrylics are £2.20 a pot.

but yeah. should have done this ages ago. now whether I can keep putting the time in...
Have a look at hobbyking for cheap stuff...I've had RC kit from them, and generally not bad...

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
oh, the Airfix Spit I picked up? Amazon are knocking it out for £15 atm -

Amazon product