A Night of Heroes: The Sun Military Awards.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Dec 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

(Apologies PTP,posting it here as it'll get more exposure than tv boards)

OK.It's the Sun but it's good it's on prime time TV for a change & not buried on ITV2 or similar.
  2. Will McNib be wearing a mask then?
  3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Black nasty!
  4. With any luck someone will thump McNasty
  5. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I find the whole thing tacky, over sentimental and patronising that is there to generate advertising revenue, newspaper sales, SMS revenue and publicity for booksales

What next, best stump or celebrity come Barma
  6. There is only one reason the sun is involved, increased exposure to the toilet paper it tries to pass of as a newspaper :evil:
  7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Ooh careful old son

I said something similer last year and got called very name under the sun (no pun)

Try not to swim against the tide

The outrage bus will be on it's way to you as fast as Chubb and her civvy mates can get tickets
  8. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Why not wait to see how it goes off? The concept is sound and while I despise the massive focus on celebs in current (and forseeable) UK culture, this is a case of "if you can't beat em, join em" - you need the celebs to make it work.
  9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I agree it's a good cause and the publicity is certanly good and nobody can complian about what H4H are doing

Just can't help myself thinking that the Sun is a bit self serving and have kind of hi jacked it a bit it's gone from H4H to the Sun gets this and the Sun does that

I'll still watch it though and well done to all service men and women involved

Why has it come from Sky anyone know?
  10. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Love it or loathe it, The Sun is the bestselling newspaper in the UK, which makes it an appropriate sponsor for this kind of thing.

Looking at recent history, I don't recall any time - bar the immediate aftermath of the Falkands - when the public has been as pro-Armed Forces as now. So when it comes to charity work, make hay while the sun (pun unintended) shines.
  11. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Bet it won't be you eh?

You'll be too busy polishing your DCM & MM?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mixed feelings on this. Initially I baulked in horror, as I find these newspaper awards pretty pointless. If someone's deserving of an award then get 'em down the Big House. What's the betting Cyclops gets involved in some shape or form. He even muscled in on the Wogan love-in FFS. Let's see how it goes... then shred it.
  13. Nothing wrong with the Sun doing this sort of thing at all, its positive stuff.
  14. I think it's a good idea. Whilst I don't read the Sun as it normally contains celebrity drivel, at least they seem to go out of their way to support the Armed Forces. I don't see any other papers supporting anything other than their own sales!
  15. Lets hope everyone can remain happy bedfellows next time the rag splashes unsubstantiated claims of bullying/rape/abhorrent behaviour across it’s front pages accusing ‘our boys’ of being thugs. Then print f*ck all when it is found that there is no case to answer

If I had the misfortune to be approached to have anything to do with this I would politely decline. When you watch count how many times you get a visual or audio advert of the toilet paper.