A Night of Heroes: The Sun Military Awards.

(Apologies PTP,posting it here as it'll get more exposure than tv boards)

A Night of Heroes: The Sun Military Awards

ITV1, 9pm 21/12/09

Phillip Schofield and Amanda Holden are the hosts at the Imperial War Museum in London for the ceremony to honour the bravery of the Armed Forces, especially those currently serving in Afghanistan. The “Millies” were founded by the Prince of Wales and held for the first time last year. Speaking at the launch of this year’s event, the Prince said that troops on the front line are too often out of mind: “Sometimes it is not until they return home in flag-draped coffins that we become truly aware of all that we are asking of them.” This event aims to change that and this year Princes William and Harry will be presenting awards, alongside the England captain John Terry, Jeremy Clarkson, Myleene Klass, Ross Kemp and the former SAS soldier Andy McNab
OK.It's the Sun but it's good it's on prime time TV for a change & not buried on ITV2 or similar.

I find the whole thing tacky, over sentimental and patronising that is there to generate advertising revenue, newspaper sales, SMS revenue and publicity for booksales

What next, best stump or celebrity come Barma

There is only one reason the sun is involved, increased exposure to the toilet paper it tries to pass of as a newspaper :evil:

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
meridian said:
I find the whole thing tacky, over sentimental and patronising that is there to generate advertising revenue, newspaper sales, SMS revenue and publicity for booksales

Ooh careful old son

I said something similer last year and got called very name under the sun (no pun)

Try not to swim against the tide

The outrage bus will be on it's way to you as fast as Chubb and her civvy mates can get tickets

Andy_S

LE
Book Reviewer
Why not wait to see how it goes off? The concept is sound and while I despise the massive focus on celebs in current (and forseeable) UK culture, this is a case of "if you can't beat em, join em" - you need the celebs to make it work.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Andy_S said:
Why not wait to see how it goes off? The concept is sound and while I despise the massive focus on celebs in current (and forseeable) UK culture, this is a case of "if you can't beat em, join em" - you need the celebs to make it work.
I agree it's a good cause and the publicity is certanly good and nobody can complian about what H4H are doing

Just can't help myself thinking that the Sun is a bit self serving and have kind of hi jacked it a bit it's gone from H4H to the Sun gets this and the Sun does that

I'll still watch it though and well done to all service men and women involved

Why has it come from Sky anyone know?

Andy_S

LE
Book Reviewer
Love it or loathe it, The Sun is the bestselling newspaper in the UK, which makes it an appropriate sponsor for this kind of thing.

Looking at recent history, I don't recall any time - bar the immediate aftermath of the Falkands - when the public has been as pro-Armed Forces as now. So when it comes to charity work, make hay while the sun (pun unintended) shines.

Mixed feelings on this. Initially I baulked in horror, as I find these newspaper awards pretty pointless. If someone's deserving of an award then get 'em down the Big House. What's the betting Cyclops gets involved in some shape or form. He even muscled in on the Wogan love-in FFS. Let's see how it goes... then shred it.

I think it's a good idea. Whilst I don't read the Sun as it normally contains celebrity drivel, at least they seem to go out of their way to support the Armed Forces. I don't see any other papers supporting anything other than their own sales!

Lets hope everyone can remain happy bedfellows next time the rag splashes unsubstantiated claims of bullying/rape/abhorrent behaviour across it’s front pages accusing ‘our boys’ of being thugs. Then print f*ck all when it is found that there is no case to answer

If I had the misfortune to be approached to have anything to do with this I would politely decline. When you watch count how many times you get a visual or audio advert of the toilet paper.

The Sun only wants to sell newspapers, they'll jump on any populist bandwagon passing.

I find this whole awards thing distasteful, there are only nice categories, where's the Most Severe Brain Injury award or Most Disfiguring Injury award?

It's known as the Scum for a reason.

I was under the impression that we already had a well-established system for granting honours and awards. Ones that were actually worth something, seeing as how they come from Brenda and all.

Or do we suddenly see a tax-dodging Australian smut-merchant's opinion as better than hers? Sorry if that sounds churlish and fair play to the recipients, but the whole thing just seems distastefully X-Factorish to me. What next, a phone in poll for which units go on ops?

the_boy_syrup said:
Just can't help myself thinking that the Sun is a bit self serving and have kind of hi jacked it a bit it's gone from H4H to the Sun gets this and the Sun does that
Nice to see the British talent for understatement thriving in these difficult times.

C_C

meridian said:

I just dont we think we find it comfortable applauding ourselves, I still think it is a good idea and will at least bring it home to civvies what it is like to serve away, not only just at christmas, even if it does seem OTT!

Wonder what category of awards they'll have should we ever withdraw from Afghanistan?

'Best Naafi Pie'
'Most amount of splashing down in one month'
'Sailor most careless with his money'

They'll probably just knock it all on the head I reckon.