A Night Of Heroes "Millies"

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by slopey_shoulders, Dec 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok this may be the wrong forum for this post, Mods please move if needed.

Tonight 2100hrs the Annual Millie Awards Ceremony on ITV1

Should be a very humbling watch....
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Should be boring I'd imagine.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Not a fan of this sort of thing. Creeping Americanisation of the Armed forces for purely commercial reasons by the Sun.
    There is absolutely no doubt that the individuals concerned will be highly honourable, brave people. Unless things have changed radically over the last 10 or so years I suspect that they would rather not be involved with it.
  4. Don't know what to think of it. I'm sure soldiers would rather be honoured officially, than by The Sun. However if it's a case of being honoured and having your 15 minutes on a programme like this or nothing, then it's not doing anything wrong.

The Sun's always been supportive off our forces, and I'd rather they had stories about soldiers, even if it was to sell papers, than be forgotten about and have a 2 page article on Katy Price's latest fella or whatever.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Oh really :roll:
  6. Yes especially all the crap sex stories they report on that ruin peoples lives. Funny we never here about the tescos employees shagging in the stock room!!
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Really?

No, but.... REALLY?
  8. Sgt.Slingsby

Sgt.Slingsby War Hero Good Egg (charities)

Permission to vomit?

I will not be watching, mainly because I'm in a parcel in the 'care' of the Post Office.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I can't take The Sun seriously as a "champion of the Armed Forces" - I remember their rabid treatment and pillorying of Lee Clegg et al at the start of the Glenn Road case in 1991, with the amazing volte face four years blater with the associated claims that his freedom was down to their (ahem) tireless campaigning.
  10. Nightrained....you must have a short memory...The Scum will do whatever it can to grab a headline. If this fuels the current 'pro forces' attitude then we tend to think it's fine, but it's not that long ago they were shitting on the forces and destroying reputations - fairly or unfairly, to grab those same headlines. As said before, they have muscled in on the current feeling towards the forces and no doubt intend to take the credit. Self serving bastards. I'll get off the fence soon :roll:

The brave guys & girls who will be used tonight deserve better than that.
  11. This is going to be fcuking horrendous, much like all the other overt grief whoring and faux forces supporting shite.

It's trendy at the minute, but just wait until the fickle public get sick of it all.
  12. Actually met and worked with him in 2003, top bloke.
  13. Currently watching this with mixed emotions (ok a couple of beers down)

Firstly, immense pride of the humility of the royal who just accepted the through adversity award

Secondly, extreme sadness that the "celebrities" who honoured him with said award will no doubt be releasing singles shortly

Can we not do the "millies" without corporate whoring of what should be a immensely proud national event?

14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

One of my first job's working for NTL as an engineer was up in Glenbawn Ave,Walked in the house to see a picture of Karen Reilly in that 'shrine' in the front room....It was her aunt's house!!