A nice cup of coffee!

I spent ages trying nespresso then good filter coffee & self grind etc.
Then my wife introduced me to Dowe Egberts Gold.

I now have more space on my kitchen worktops having binned all the half arsed machine crap.
Dowe Egberts Gold is the coffee I've got but I only really have a cup every couple of months or so. (I've got one on the go right now, purely because of this thread but give me a cup of Assam any day.)

A poorly sourced lynch mob ....... I see rolling-pins but nary a bill-hook or proper pitchfork amongst the lot......that's not PROPER mobbing
( just can't get the staff these days - and when you can they don't want the work! )

@exsniffer - thanks for that ...to The Times extra large Atlas!

Shares a short border with Yemen - where a recently re- discovered breed of arabica coffee bean has just been named.
But look at the diversity....

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
For instant coffee I rather like Lavazza Prontissimo Intenso which for me makes a great cup of coffee regardless if I have it with milk, sugar or black.

I'm working my way through several bags of beans mainly by Costa and Lavazza.

However I'm trying to find coffee beans with the notes of wood and tobacco if anyone has any recommendations?

Chaps, thank you all so much for your brilliant contributions so far! As stated by many, for me it's all about the taste and I have decided to try and find 'my' ideal mug of coffee, be it what it will be! Today I tried Puerto Rican with (UHT) cream and sweeteners - meh OK, but nothing to write home about. I'd rather use brown sugar (even though it's been banned!) but SWMBO disagrees..... We had a couple of the local coffees when we were out - delicious! I have the same packet in my cupboard - why doesn't it taste the same!!??

Their "battle bags" are a game changer
No, they’re not. I bought a shit load of these to save space in luggage upon recommendation. I ended up having to use two of them in a mug to illicit any taste. I’ll stick with Taylor’s Hot Lava Java.

Chaps, thank you all so much for your brilliant contributions so far! As stated by many, for me it's all about the taste and I have decided to try and find 'my' ideal mug of coffee, be it what it will be! Today I tried Puerto Rican with (UHT) cream and sweeteners - meh OK, but nothing to write home about. I'd rather use brown sugar (even though it's been banned!) but SWMBO disagrees..... We had a couple of the local coffees when we were out - delicious! I have the same packet in my cupboard - why doesn't it taste the same!!??
Banned brown sugar?

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
No, they’re not. I bought a shit load of these to save space in luggage upon recommendation. I ended up having to use two of them in a mug to illicit any taste. I’ll stick with Taylor’s Hot Lava Java.
Liked for the Taylor's Hot Lava Java, that makes a very nice morning coffee.

This from waitrose
1634635386469.jpeg

Been in the coffee shop this morning - got another 'test packet' of their Costa Rica, which is quite nice. The girl said it was her favourite too, but that she'd recently had some called 'Cafe Ingles' - literally English Coffee. It's Arabica with some caramel added.

So I've bought 100g of it as a test! As it'll be tomorrow morning's coffee, stand by for a report!

quilter

War Hero
Chaps??????? some of us are chapessies I'll have you know:grin:

A chap that used to work with me a few years ago brought some of that cat-poo coffee in to the office one day - with great ceremony he brewed two small cups and then looked crushed when I sipped it and declared, ‘Cpl W, this tastes like sh1t!’. What else could one say? And, frankly, joking aside, it was pretty poor.

Ever since my best chum was DA in Bogotá, I’ve always tried to buy Colombian coffee - ‘Morrison’s best’ is the current brew & made in a cafetière is most pleasing.

I despair when I happen across a, so called, coffee aficionado who then tips milk (other types of similar coloured pollutants are apparently available) in to his cup. Adding sugar is likewise a crime. Proper coffee should be drunk black.

I sail with a chap, admittedly very much a ‘first generation gent’ (but a rich one - it’s his yacht!) who likes to portray himself as an expert when it comes to whisky, wine and, indeed, coffee. But he takes milk in the latter - how we all laughed when I served him a mug of Millicano and he then launched in to a preprepared set of tasting notes thinking he was sipping the expensive stuff he’d brought on board (and that the rest of us were drinking).

Millicano is actually ok as an office brew, I reckon.