A nice cup of coffee!

Overpriced military branded hype.

You can get better tasting coffee bags, beans or grounds from any supermarket for much much cheaper.

That said, I do like the brand and I respect what they've done. But for a coffee to keep at home and for daily personal use, not the one.
There's an element of "overpriced" with all fresh, quality produce. You gets what you pays for. Supermarket brands can be fine, Lidl own brand beans are decent enough but not as good as the Union, which is fresher. A decent local roaster should be better still if they're any cop.

It's worth testing and tasting the difference with any stuff. Then make your choice. I drink coffee twice a day, usually done by 10:30 and it's onto tea. I want it to be good.

There's an element of "overpriced" with all fresh, quality produce. You gets what you pays for. Supermarket brands can be fine, Lidl own brand beans are decent enough but not as good as the Union, which is fresher. A decent local roaster should be better still if they're any cop.

It's worth testing and tasting the difference with any stuff. Then make your choice. I drink coffee twice a day, usually done by 10:30 and it's onto tea. I want it to be good.
Tea first thing, then coffee at 11.00hrs the rest of the day its tea. If the family come around, then its tea and coffee as required, with biscuits and cakes, As stated up thread, i have no palate for the finer points of roasted "Real" coffee. I do appreciate the finer points of different teas.

Last edited:
Tesco instant coffee first thing - £6.25 for 500g, bargain! Tea for the rest of the day.
BURN HIM !!!!!

eayLlsqerLaA_0L1rq51VUYIYjvKn3t-70L5ylE_Srw.png

Does he weigh the same as a duck, though?

WhiskeyTango

War Hero

You missed my point (or I think I was very unclear) you buy contact coffee for the branding, not the quality of coffee. Which in my opinion, is sub-par. (Having helped myself to my OCs generous supply).

The original question was for good quality coffee, not which coffee made you look ally.

£7.00 for contact coffee vs £4.00 for the most expensive equivalent in a shop.

Tesco finest: £3.25
Lavazza: £3.50
M&S: £3.00
ALDI: £2.00

I agree that coffee should be of the finest quality. I'm happy to pay £7.00 a bag. But not if it tastes worse than tesco own.

Tool

LE
I plugged for Matthew Algie up-thread. I've seen people mention the Aeropress - I used to use Lavazza but swapped to Illy Classico in mine, but don't use it often. For the sandal-wearers, you can cold press coffee through your Aeropress. We also have a Nespresso machine - at about 50 shiny new pence per capsule, it;s not cheap, but quite good flavour. We used to use Rosa Beya (sp?) from the Nespresso range, but the new machines don't have it. The closest is Columbie. We only use Nespresso capsules. Sometimes, I sling a bit of Nescafe Gold instant into the cup with the Nespresso for a bit more of a hit.

Tea first thing, then coffee at 11.00hrs the rest of the day its tea. If the family come around, then its tea and coffee as required, with biscuits and cakes, As stated up thread, i have no palate for the finer points of roasted "Real" coffee. I do appreciate the finer points of different teas.
Horses for courses. PG tips or Yorkshire normally, green tea occasionally.

You missed my point (or I think I was very unclear) you buy contact coffee for the branding, not the quality of coffee. Which in my opinion, is sub-par. (Having helped myself to my OCs generous supply).

The original question was for good quality coffee, not which coffee made you look ally.

I agree that coffee should be of the finest quality. I'm happy to pay £7.00 a bag. But not if it tastes worse than tesco own.
Fair cop...yeah branding and Contact is expensive but when were your brands roasted? They'll have a best before date but not a "roasted on" date.

I spent ages trying nespresso then good filter coffee & self grind etc.
Then my wife introduced me to Dowe Egberts Gold.

I now have more space on my kitchen worktops having binned all the half arsed machine crap.

Daz

LE
Currently worthing though 6kgs worth of The Coffee Collaborative Genius blend as well as 2kgs worth of San Francisco Bay Organic Rainforest Blend Whole Bean Coffee........When that runs out, it will be whatever else that's on offer :)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Currently worthing though 6kgs worth of The Coffee Collaborative Genius blend as well as 2kgs worth of San Francisco Bay Organic Rainforest Blend Whole Bean Coffee........When that runs out, it will be whatever else that's on offer :)
Planning on longer lockdowns or armageddon, were we?

Daz

LE

exsniffer

War Hero
Just like Granny made when I was a ver' small child......it was truly vile.

This is probably the right thread to ask this;

Do they actually grow coffee in Arabia anywhere these days? If so - where?

( @lokiuk @AlienFTM @naffnickname - Support Proposition 13 - Mas Café por La Puebla! https://tinyurl.com/ha6xe7vk )
Yes in Asir province. I think it is all consumed in Kingdom as I have never hearf of any being exported

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
BURN HIM !!!!!

eayLlsqerLaA_0L1rq51VUYIYjvKn3t-70L5ylE_Srw.png
A poorly sourced lynch mob ....... I see rolling-pins but nary a bill-hook or proper pitchfork amongst the lot......that's not PROPER mobbing
( just can't get the staff these days - and when you can they don't want the work! )
Yes in Asir province. I think it is all consumed in Kingdom as I have never heard of any being exported
@exsniffer - thanks for that ...to The Times extra large Atlas!

Shares a short border with Yemen - where a recently re- discovered breed of arabica coffee bean has just been named.

Last edited:
//
Time for a dit!

Once upon a time in a land far away, my boat was in New London, Connecticut. We'd had some Elmer chaps down the boat and I asked one in passing if he could get me a can of US Navy coffee....... thinking a nice tin of say half to a pound of genuine US Navy coffee.

Next day I'm called to the brow (gangway) where my new best friend is standing with a huge square/cube tin on his shoulders! It was solder sealed and must have been at least 25lb of coffee. Naturally, I took it below and stashed it.

On our arrival back in Plymouth it is always dodgy going into the Naval bit from the Dockyard bit. The MoD Plod stopped and searched me, found only what I was entitled to (that time ;) ) and I asked him about the coffee. He said as it was not UK Government or RN issue he didn't see a problem. So before he went off watch I went back down the boat, got it past him and into my accommodation! On my next patrol I saved up all the empty 1lb porridge tins with re-sealable lids from the galley, so I could eventually open the huge tin and decant the coffee. Kept me going for years.

Wasn't that great actually!

//

jmb3296

LE
Book Reviewer
I have had several bags of this at £12.99 a kilo delivered, they do more mainstream stuff like Java at similar prices ( very nice as well)
I got a bag of Indian monsoon coffee as something different, quite liked it, had several more

It's the taste which does it for me entirely and that's why I bought another 100 bags after my first smaller purchase. Then another and another. I was previously never a coffee fiend, but find it not sharp, bitter or overly smooth, just somewhere in between with a bit of tang. Could even take it black at a pinch.

I've only ever tasted a coffee I enjoyed better once. We were carrying out a land survey on Mull when I had to speak to one of the land-owners whom it turned out had been 'big in the City' (not particularly unusual for Mull) and left for the rural lifestyle. He offered me a coffee and for the first time in my life thought, 'Crikey, that's a braw cup of coffee!' Turns out he had also bought a coffee plantation in Brazil and supplied the beans to one of the big UK coffee shop chains (Caffe Nero?).

Latest Threads