A nice cup of coffee!

Buy yourself a sack of these

View attachment 610364

And one of these

View attachment 610365
Handy hint: Don’t.

unless you’re prepared to furtle through catshit to source your own beans.
In the wild, the Civets select the best looking coffee berries to trough, unlike the commercial stuff where the caged cats are fed everything off the bush.

Gadget/
I’ve skirted round an Aeropress for some time, up until now I’ve used a Bialetti stove top job for coffee in the wild. Having done an extensive trial, I’m now converted, if you have a kettle you can knock out a mug of proper coffee in the same time as instant. Clean up is a doddle too.
8844A8D4-94D7-4025-84CF-8974B19494B0.jpeg

/gadget

For actual coffee, IKEA’s own brand is surprisingly good.

I'm a big fan of Lavazza Qualita Rossa ground coffee. I make it using my fancy arse Italian percolator ('Moka Pot'), which allows me to distance myself from the instant coffee drinking plebs at work.

We buy this now. Not at all expensive (about €13 for a 1kg bag) and tastes pretty good.
100% Arabica too. I drink it black so no need to fret over which whitener to use. The bean to cup DeLonghi produces a perfect espresso every time at the press of a button.

20211017_134259.jpg

Handy hint: Don’t.

unless you’re prepared to furtle through catshit to source your own beans.
In the wild, the Civets select the best looking coffee berries to trough, unlike the commercial stuff where the caged cats are fed everything off the bush.

Gadget/
I’ve skirted round an Aeropress for some time, up until now I’ve used a Bialetti stove top job for coffee in the wild. Having done an extensive trial, I’m now converted, if you have a kettle you can knock out a mug of proper coffee in the same time as instant. Clean up is a doddle too.
View attachment 610371
/gadget

For actual coffee, IKEA’s own brand is surprisingly good.
Best £30 kitchen toy ever, all apart from the cup and coffee fits in the middle for travelling.
As to the type of coffee, I just keep trying different ones, not found one I hated yet.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Burundian coffee is supposed to be the best in Africa. Worked there a long time ago and purchased a couple of bags of whole beans. Don't touch the vile stuff myself but thought it would be good for guests (we tended to stick to beer for some reason).

Anyhow, if anyone wants it, the bags are still unopened in the back of my fridge just over 20 years later.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just like Granny made when I was a ver' small child......it was truly vile.

This is probably the right thread to ask this;

Do they actually grow coffee in Arabia anywhere these days? If so - where?

( @lokiuk @AlienFTM @naffnickname - Support Proposition 13 - Mas Café por La Puebla! https://tinyurl.com/ha6xe7vkfathet M

My father lived out the last 20 years of his.life in Colombia. My mother about half that (thanks to me on the way) and I got one year.

Parents absolutely swore by Colombian coffee.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
As I travel a lot on business, I've discovered that decent coffee is available in coffee bags! This after staying in a posh hotel (it was the only one available where I needed to be).

Stokes coffee [Colombian], available in leaded and unleaded. Pack of 50 bags costs £10.70 ordered online. Never travel without a couple of bags in my suitcase. Bag in cup, allow to brew for 2-3 minutes depending how strong you want it. Bag into recycling (compostable).

DecafCoffeeBags_400x320_crop_center.jpg

Bags_1000x.jpg

Life is indeed to short to be drinking chappy coffee.

I got a Delonghi Magnifica off Amazon for ~200 quid. It does bean to cup & I get my beans from a local roaster. You'll never look back.
Seconded
I got a cheaper bean to cup machine six months ago, absolutely excellent thing. I won’t be going back to cafetière unless as a back up.
Fantastic piece of kit, great wAy to get your cup of coffee.

I've looked - and there are threads about coffee machines, however my 'problem' is different!

Life is too short to drink crappy coffee!

First off, my guilty confession...... my favourite tasting coffee is Starbuck's home blend. When in the UK it is my 'go to' coffee and will keep me and my Kindle happy for hours! I have a 'secret' recipe - the giant mug, a wee tub of cream and a good dose of brown sugar and sweetener! Bliss

At home I have one of Starbuck's giant mugs and a cafetiere. Sadly I don't use cream (much, calories and cholesterol!) but Carnation coffee whitener. This is my morning and usually, only brew of the day. But if we are out and about we'll stop for a coffee, which is always delicious. In all the time we've been in Spain we've only had two coffees that were 'bad'.

Now the point of the thread. I have started buying small amounts of freshly ground coffee from a new spice/coffee/herb shop in town. I am trying to find a coffee that I love, based on it being latte-ish and sweet. As I reckon a few of you like a decent coffee, I thought I'd ask for recommends here! No machines please, as the kitchen doesn't need any more gadgets!

Thanks in advance - trying Porto Rican today..... not too impressed!
It's a deep dark abyss - if your local shop does decent stuff and you like it stick with it.

It's a bit like whisky though - lots of people blether on about it and there's a looaaaaaad of bollocks pushed out, spotting the gems is hard.

A lifetime ago I got used to Jacobs Krönung, before the coffee revolution. I have cafetieres, a Bialetti stovetop and an all in one - which I've moved back to using but still use what is best for the job.

Fresh beans roasted how you like them and ground for the brewing vessel.

I'm more than happy with Union Revelation, 18 g, grind 6 and a 28 second pull <oooer>....sounds shit doesn't it? It produces a great espresso which scales up to a v good Americano. No idea about cappuccino or latte.

Beware...you'll be wearing hipster jeans and shoes without socks next. Whilst doing that you may want to look at cold brewing... :D

Last edited:
As I travel a lot on business, I've discovered that decent coffee is available in coffee bags! This after staying in a posh hotel (it was the only one available where I needed to be).

Stokes coffee [Colombian], available in leaded and unleaded. Pack of 50 bags costs £10.70 ordered online. Never travel without a couple of bags in my suitcase. Bag in cup, allow to brew for 2-3 minutes depending how strong you want it. Bag into recycling (compostable).

DecafCoffeeBags_400x320_crop_center.jpg

Bags_1000x.jpg
Local Tesco has only the decaf Taylor’s bags. Pain in the japs eye, first world problems

Seconded
I got a cheaper bean to cup machine six months ago, absolutely excellent thing. I won’t be going back to cafetière unless as a back up.
Fantastic piece of kit, great wAy to get your cup of coffee.

Mine is the Dinamica. Bought several years ago, again through Amazon on a Black Friday deal.

Tried loads of different types and find the 100% Arabica you get from Lidl is one of the best. They also do a 70% Arabica 30% Robusta but the latter a bit bitter.

Might I suggest just a coffee mill? Don't cost much, don't take up much room and you grind just enough beans to fill up a cafetiere.

Just received my latest supply of Coffee via on line shopping.
I’ve tried many Cafetière Coffees over the years, including Taylor’s and Starbucks. I settled on Union Coffee House Roast a year or so ago and rate it as a very good all rounder, decent at anytime of the day.
View attachment 610358
Thing is with Union, I can buy it in Sainsbury's check the roast date and away - not stuck with any commitment.

Was visiting friends and they have a couple or thee small roasters in town - bought a couple of 1/2 kilo bags and they were both shit.

Mine is the Dinamica. Bought several years ago, again through Amazon on a Black Friday deal.

Tried loads of different types and find the 100% Arabica you get from Lidl is one of the best. They also do a 70% Arabica 30% Robusta but the latter a bit bitter.

Might I suggest just a coffee mill? Don't cost much, don't take up much room and you grind just enough beans to fill up a cafetiere.
After much trial and error I have a really good coffee mill. It now gathers dust. My morning routine is beans and water into the bean to cup, set it off. Sort the dogs out, feed the wild birds, come back in and take toast out of toaster and hot fresh coffee and breakfast is sorted.

Another vote for Union, although after working way through range settled on the Revelation as best suited to our tastes.

Just to add to the complexities seems that thanks to the chemistry involved coffee beans should be ground and used no less than 7 days after bring roasted and no more than 30 days after.

Thus when presented with coffee from a ££££££ whistle and bells all in one beans to cup machine having carefully sampled and asked what beans were used, earn eternal hatred from your host by casually asking to know when they were roasted and muttering " Ah yes thought so....." when it turns out you are consuming something 31 days old.
Coffee geek extraordinaire James Hoffman suggests that using a microwave makes a difference - I've tried it and it does in my opinion - 30 secs or so. Then grind as normal.

Correcting my quote.

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's a deep dark abyss - if your local shop does decent stuff and you like it stick with it.

It's a bit like whisky though - lots of people blether on about it and there's a looaaaaaad of bollocks pushed out, spotting the gems is hard.

A lifetime ago I got used to Jacobs Krönung, before the coffee revolution. I have cafetieres, a Bialetti stovetop and an all in one - which I've moved back to using but still use what is best for the job.

Fresh beans roasted how you like them and ground for the brewing vessel.

I'm more than happy with Union Revelation, 18 g, grind 6 and a 28 second pull <oooer>....sounds shit doesn't it? It produces a great espresso which scales up to a v good Americano. No idea about cappuccino or latte.

Beware...you'll be wearing hipster jeans and shoes without socks next. Whilst doing that you may want to look at cold brewing... :D
For you I think ?

512WiSsbNwL.jpg

" This is a hipster. He is childless, unaccountably wealthy, and always well turned out. He likes art, porridge, scarves, and anything reclaimed from French factories. . .

Hipsters like to collect old things that are unfashionable, because that makes them fashionable. Vintage washing-up bowls are highly prized, because they look neither retro nor valuable, and therefore both. "

Also available:

• How it Works: The Husband
  • How it Works: The Wife
  • How it Works: The Mum
  • The Ladybird Book of the Mid-Life Crisis
  • The Ladybird Book of the Hangover
  • The Ladybird Book of Mindfulness
  • The Ladybird Book of the Shed
  • The Ladybird Book of Dating
-Which Arab countries grow coffee on a commercial scale ?

Last edited:

Latest Threads