Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A new Universal Carrier

Of course, the rumour that the RB44 contract was only placed to avoid MOD being sued for certain alleged infringements of Intellectual Property Rights re: DROPS is just that. A rumour.

Of course, the rumour that the RB44 contract was only placed to avoid MOD being sued for certain alleged infringements of Intellectual Property Rights re: DROPS is just that. A rumour.
I recall exercise trials, in 1979, of what was, then, the Ampliroll system, fitted to Foden trucks.
IIRC " Ampliroll", the droppable flatracks and loading mechanism were build by Boughton.

Have put the link in the post.

Its an interesting conundrum - does the west go for JLTV with RWS like these:
View attachment 394506

in an effort to counter or align with nutters who have pick up trucks, welding torches and lots of sovbloc kit, as well as the sheer intellectual curiosity to do this:

out of curiosity do you have any idea what these types of RWS cost? say for a GPMG mount

FOC

If you hear anyone claiming any form of meaningful off road capability for the RB44, they are either a bullshitter or in procurement/on the staff
We had a gs and a box body version.

I'm pretty sure that on a off road session at hohne I had my entire back up on the roof... Then the engine cut out.

CROWS - Wikipedia
Guestimating from figures for the US M153 CROWS $1Bn for initial 6.5k units, $154k a unit?

RWS (gpmg types) are a similar story to my point about the universal carrier vs. The various robot wars contenders you see put forward as alternate candidates, other than protecting the operator they don’t seem to do the job much better and they do that for an eye watering wedge of money (which could be spent elsewhere)

If you hear anyone claiming any form of meaningful ON road capability for the RB44, same rule applies. Which is a pity, as the Dodge/Renault 50 on which it's based is a sound vehicle, with many still on the go today.
Used to drive a Dodge 50 at work many, many moons ago. Fast as anything, brakes total rubbish.

Of course whatever the solution, it still needs to be used properly:

ugly

LE
Of course whatever the solution, it still needs to be used properly:
Which goes to show the Koevets did it properly, dead or alive floppies are to be strapped across the bonnet, wings or mudguards wherever possible!