A new memorial thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by FluffyBunny, Mar 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now then pointy heads of SL (and GCO, who I'm lead to understand knows about this stuff).

Is it possible to have an object in SL linked to a thread on ARRSE? If so, I was thinking we might link the memorial to the Remembrance Books in CA. Partly as I like the limelight, but mostly 'cos it would be a good thing to do.

How's it done?

edited for PARA spelling
  2. GCO for this one!! Is it possible to modify the top ten board you made to display a certain thread? Not sure if you linked to to a dragonfly block??? Advice would be appreciated, but i will email you about it.

3. Do you mean something like this:

touch_start(integer total_number)
    llLoadURL(llDetectedKey(0), "ARRSE", "http://www.arrse.co.uk");

4. Or maybe:
    scratch head_a lot
    nod knowingly_if_lackofknowledge=detected

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
  5. Works like a dream laddie, cheers. Point to note - the ll before LoadURL and before DetectedKey are lower case L and not pipe's.
  6. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Boney - you just could not resist could you. :cyclopsani:
  7. Of course, as we all know, an equal in LSL should be:

nod knowingly_if_lackofknowledge==detected

L :thumleft:
  8. Cheers chaps. The temporary memorial I built now leads you to the HERRICK Remembrance thread.

Is there anyway to randomise threads it leads to from a pre-defined set, either by manipulating SL or ARRSE, so that it could be set to point to either one of the 3 main remembrance threads, or better yet, pick any of the condolences threads and take you to random selection, rather like a commemoration book is turned to a new page every day?

Edit: I realise that "random" is a very poor choice of word in this context, but I'm stumped if I can think of a better one.
  9. Yes mate. Anything is possible. Four Eggs Ample:
    You have 3 different www's (rememberance threads):
    - One of the 3 is chosen, at random, on click.
    - A Dialogue Box appears, you can choose which thread you wish to view.
    - I create a "follow me" object, which follows everyone around RnR Island and shouts the links at the.. err.. victims, if they want it or not (but I may get banned, should I follow this option)

let me know what you would like, rememberance is the key to the future.

Feel free to PM me on arrse, or IM me in World.

10. On the subject.

When one of our Forces Bretheren dies on Ops can we not drop the flag on the Parade Square to half mast? It's the first thing most of us see when we arrive on RnR Island, and would be fitting....
  11. I could add a script that would do it but my knowledge only goes as far as a script that will allow anyone to lower the flags
  12. The flags can easily be lowered by ungrouping the prims and moving the flag lower. I believe Mr Butler owns the flags, so it would have to be him that does it unless you deed them to the HQ Group butler.

The lowering/raising would have to be a manual thing, relying on the whoever from hq group is about to do it. I'd suggest an HQ Group "best effort", but if it doesnt get done because none of us are about, there is no disrespect meant.

13. I have remade the flags so they can be lowered by clicking I am now looking into restricting the action to the group. I thought the idea of paying respect in this way so important it should be done straight away. The restricting bit will need more research. :roll:
  14. Thanks Butler & Boney. Let's hope we don't need to drop them to often. (In fact, I'd rather we didn't ever have to use the facility....)
  15. Sadly that day has come.
    The duty has been performed.