A new member of the Axis of Evil

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by chrisg46, Sep 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

2. He'll never get elected. The Irish people wouldn't be THAT stupid. Hopefully

3. Well all the goodwill that Mary mcaleese built recently will go down the shitter if a terrorist gets the job, But I don't think the south would be as supportive of him as would the North, hopefully?

4. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Well I'm over here for the 2nd time this year, there is almost an apathetic attitude towards SF, they are getting their way day in day out. I won't be impressed but also won't be surprised if he gets it because there is no hard campaigning opposition.

5. Well as a Chuckie, he a member of a disliked minority as is traditional for the Irish PM.

6. Can he be elected as President, as surely his finances look a bit ropy? payments off HMG shadow firms etc?

7. Surely having ropey finances is a prerequisite for the Uachtarán na hÉireann AND the Taoiseach??

8. Well…

They joined the Euro against best advice

They let themselves be railroaded into keeping voting for the EU Consitution until they gave the 'right' answer

They refused to let the UK bail them out against best advice

3 of out 3 on the stupid scale, I'm sure they can make that 4 out of 4

9. Is he still touting for the Brits?

• Like Like x 1
  10. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

And he doesn't have to quit being Dep 1st minister, all he has to do is step aside during campaigning. The campaign should be fun it gets really nasty. The current one got a lot of grief because she was from 'The North' I just hope they aren't rude to him and say anything which will hurt his feelings.

11. the irish being nasty... are you sure?

12. I think it is fairly likely that he would be successful - he has the Republican image, which appeals to most RoI people deep down on a visceral level, but has turned his back on the terrorism of PIRA (unless he's playing a very long game), thus making him look less like the crazy option for crazy extremists.
    He also comes accross as a strong, confident personality, and has been a feature of Irish politics for many many years now so he's got the advantage of TV charisma - essential for the world leaders of today (Imagine FDR trying to get elected now!).

13. Not in the same class, mind you, but wasn't Nelson Mandela a former terrorist? They can genuinely reform, but it's a matter of what they did beforehand. Yasser Arafat fell into the "Fail" category!

14. Since you brought Nissan MainDealer up, I can name drop - My climbing partner's dad was in the arresting party!

15. Right........Do you know the Republic from Tom Clancy books and shite Hollywood movies?