A new book about bases in Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Ord_Sgt, Jul 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Theres a new book out about the old bases in Northern Ireland. Castles of Ulster by Jonathan Olley. Its got some cracking photos in it. Abit of nostalgia for us old knackers...

[​IMG]

More NI pictures here.

Some other pictures of his about the British Army here.

I confess to knowing the author but it does look like a good book.

edited for typo

2. Shame he couldn't get Pte James Borucki's rank right. And what is a 'Corp' anyway?

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

That was a cut and paste from the web. I'll let him know, maybe its just a typo...

4. Looks excellent.

A fine tribute to brave men of the army, UDR and RUC.

RIP our fallen comrades .

Semper Fidelis - Haud Immemor.

5. Look forward to getting a copy, trust the Auchnacloy base is in it I will never forget the smell of the chicken farm over the wire.

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I have pointed out the error with the rank and the author appologised for the mistake and hopes he hasn't caused any offence, which I beleive he hasn't with a genuine mistake:

I think whats more important is that his name is remembered and a wider audience know of his sacrifice.

Its a very good record of some of the places many on here will remember, and now that most of them are gone, for that it should be commended.

7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

He was interviewed on BFBS NI Monday,heard it on the way home.Looks like a good memento to our fallen.

8. Amazon gives the delivery time as 4 to 6 weeks. I've discovered you can also buy it direct from the publisher and I've just sent them a cheque for twenty quid for a copy as I expect it will be a lot quicker. Here's a link if anyone's interested.

http://www.factotum.org.uk/projects/castles/castles.html

9. the book has lots of interesting stuff!

10. Thanks for the heads up, looks like an interesting book.

I wasted 2 months of my life stagging on at Romeo-16 in '93. Felt more like an inmate than anything else.