A Most Enigmatic War: R.V Jones and the Genesis of British Scientific Intelligence 1939 - 1945

A Most Enigmatic War: R.V Jones and the Genesis of British Scientific Intelligence 1939 - 1945

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Wordsmith submitted a new resource:

A Most Enigmatic War: R.V Jones and the Genesis of British Scientific Intelligence 1939 - 1945 - Reassessment of the work of R.V. Jones

Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,

But he'll remember with advantages

What feats he did that day:

Shakespeare might have been writing of R.V. Jones’s wartime memoirs. “Most Secret War”, published in 1978 when Jones was sixty-seven, made in instant celebrity of its author; hitherto largely known to the public via his work as a Professor at Aberdeen University.

Most Secret War details Jones’s experiences as head of Scientific intelligence, more formally ADI...
Read more about this resource...

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Thank you for a good heads-up review. I read Most Secret War ages ago - last week I could not resists a good ppbk copy in a charity shop for £1 or so. In the reading queue now. I do wonder if RVJ was fully aware of other peoples' secret wars when he wrote it.

I shall get that.. looks a good read.

I had some colleagues that worked for Reg Jones at Aberdeen.. and he certainly seems to have been a bit of a self licking lollipop!

I think there is a real problem in how we deal with science and technology in the military these days. Between the wars, there were a lot of folk in academia that had military experience in the first war and were able to see opportunities for exploiting the science. There also seemed to be a lot less "crust" between the scientific communities and the military. "Boffins" were mocked, but generally respected and valued. These days the bureaucratic crud is very thick indeed!

That said, even during the war, some individuals seemed to hold huge sway with the government such as Lindemann and whose judgement was not always that sound. Reg was one of Lindemann's prodigies as I recall, as was Alwyn Crow who held up UK rocket research for years..

Purely for academic interest of course.. RV Jones daughter Susan was Miss Scotland 1961..

jones miss scotland.jpg

..wouldn't be Arrse if we did not add these vital statistics!