A month in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Travel' started by TheIronDuke, Jun 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Around Christmas. It is dirty work but the place wont clean itself up, will it?

Say 3 weeks at a decent beach then a week or so poodling about looking at cities and ruins and water buffaloes and that. It is the beach job that has me asking. Expedia is offering Six Senses Ninh Van Bay. £28k and I get my own rock pool it seems. Six senses is it? I have a seventh and it says **** off and die in a fire.

Decent room, shower and a vista. Dont need a pool or a spa or a massage or a ******* Tuk Tuk. A hire car would be nice but a moped will do.

Anybody been to Vietnam? Advice appreciated.

2. Didn't Hector Chavez do Vietnam (not literally, I believe he took his bird) last year??

3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

get a SAS tattoo and say you are researching your next action novel

4. EODmatt is the chap to ask for advice

5. Been to Da Nang a couple of times.

Very nice people, they like the Brits a lot, maybe because we weren't involved in the war. They seem to get on with yanks OK but Brits seem to fascinate them.
    Très friendly ladies from age jailbait to OAPs, government knocking shops will give you a safe environment for manfun.

Food is quite spectacular and very cheap. If you have anything with shrimp be aware that Vietnamese shrimps are the size of small lobsters.
    Take US dollars, plenty of $1 and $5 notes can be very useful.
    Every film ever made can be got from pirate shops for about $US10 for 5 or 10 disks depending how you haggle.
    Despite placards all over the place it doesn't feel particularly communist over there, free enterprise seems to be the MO.

Plenty of fake Vietnam War memorabilia for sale including Zippo's with alleged bullet marks on them.

Lovely place, lovely people and tons of history. Cheaper than chips as well.

Word of warning : They have a wine in which a cobra is pickled. Don't ******* drink it, you will regret it.
    Also, watch out for fake spirits in the markets, they look real and will probably kill you.

6. HHH

HHH LE

As Jarrod says EODmatt, would be the best person to ask.

7. Ask EODmatt he's your man.

8. Ask JJH, he spent some time there.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Not forgetting EODmatt of course.

10. Put the ******* tittylip away missy

11. Did you visit the famous China Beach? Supposedly one of the best in the world. The yanks made a TV series based there about 10 years ago but it was all filmed in Hawaii.

12. I think EODmatt is the bloke to ask whatever anybody says including you Nurse Ratched.

13. No I didn't, was only in for a day at a time (on a ship) so went for the city centre every time.

14. EODmatt has been there.

15. I would ******* hope so.

• Like Like x 1