A look at Banksys recent exhibition in Bristol.

mmhm, i queued for about 3 hours to get in, glad i did though cos it was awesome.

T

Tremaine

Banksy's work IS great. His book "Banksy, Wall and Piece" always cheers me up, as he seems to cok a snook at authority. Always smile at the thought that Cops and street cleaners would go "Oh fcuk, Banksy's been here..." when happening upon his "art" :lol: There's a map of his work here:

Banksy - Top 6 current London locations
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl...pn=0.050935,0.159645&z=13&om=1&mid=1196544665
"BLUE PIN - still there, RED EXCLAMATION gone. The best guide to Banksy's London locations is Martin Bull's 'Banksy Locations and Tours' book..."

See also http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/banksy/Banksy_faq.htm

Banksy's Bristol

Suddick said:
It's all very arch and knowing isn't it. Wonder how long it will all last after the jokes get old.
Any art that actually makes people think is destined to remain in the public eye, especially when it is topical and time constrained - imagine if you were a history teacher in 50 years time and wanted to look at nineties or naughties Britain, whose work would you turn to? It's how I came to know Picasso's work (my history teacher introduced my class to Guernica when we covered 20th Century European History at school, it stimulated a lifelong interest in Spanish art) Banksy will be around for a while no fear of that.

Banksy is a fückin' genius in every sense of the word! It's actually a comparatively recent development that art's been used in a broad way to draw attention to social anomalies and injustices in such an open fashion. Banksy is the foremost proponent of that, in my opinion. I'd love to meet the man personally, I bet his views are just mind-blowing!

MsG

When you see what 'artists' are doing these days such as Tracey Emin you appreciate Banksy's work more, it has a point, it isn't being listed for sale at millions and he doesn't crave publicity and act like he is the reason art is still alive.

As for his work, some of it i don't really get, but a lot of it does and it does it in a very clever way, i loved his work on the Israeli/Palestinian wall, and of course some of this stuff is very good, yes it might get a bit repetative, but it's more down to politics and world matters seemingly always repeating themselves over the year.

I'd also add that i know a few people who went to this exhibition and when they started the chat about how they'd queued for 5 hours i thought they were mad, but the weirdest thing was that they loved the whole experience, i get edgy queuing up for more than 3 minutes so god knows what it would have been like waiting 4-5 hours :eek:

Argee2007 said:
When you see what 'artists' are doing these days such as Tracey Emin you appreciate Banksy's work more,
Everytime I hear Tracey Emin I reach for my gun

BTW has anyone wondered why someone who has the body of a godess has the face of a gorgon ?

chieftiff said:
Suddick said:
It's all very arch and knowing isn't it. Wonder how long it will all last after the jokes get old.
Any art that actually makes people think is destined to remain in the public eye, especially when it is topical and time constrained - imagine if you were a history teacher in 50 years time and wanted to look at nineties or naughties Britain, whose work would you turn to? It's how I came to know Picasso's work (my history teacher introduced my class to Guernica when we covered 20th Century European History at school, it stimulated a lifelong interest in Spanish art) Banksy will be around for a while no fear of that.
Cheers for that. Did you use your woodwork GCSE to make a cabinet or are you saving it? Bottom line - It's like The Simpsons (or The Young Ones if you are old enough), funny first time around but prey to the law of diminishing returns. BTW - Picasso was ground breaking and Guernica was almost ( OK Goya) unprecedented. Banksy is a hack.

leveller said:
He charged Bristol City Coucil £1.00, provided all security tapes of him setting it up were destroyed.
He returned at least once to the exhibition as I have a picture of cues week one with no Ronald MacDonald sat above the door and pictures of the cues week 3-4 with Ronald included, will dig them out when I'm a bit more sober!

I like his work immensely (I also have Wall and Piece), however I find his personal politics very naive and stink of 'Everything now is rubbish and if you just do everything I say it will all be all right', and the majority of his views are sympathetic to the 'losers' in any given international situation without much thought as to just why they were attacked\suppressed in the first place.
Good art, lousy politics. If he just laid off the written politics and stuck to the messages his art delivers then he will truly be remembered as a great IMHO.

Suddick said:
Cheers for that. Did you use your woodwork GCSE to make a cabinet or are you saving it? Bottom line - It's like The Simpsons (or The Young Ones if you are old enough), funny first time around but prey to the law of diminishing returns. BTW - Picasso was ground breaking and Guernica was almost ( OK Goya) unprecedented. Banksy is a hack.
Oh dear. So I assume that your own pathetic attempts to produce something even remotely artistic didn't win the undivided enthusiasm of the critics, then.
Sour grapes? :)

MsG

I went down, really good stuff. Missus enjoyed it, I guess everyone likes a little subversion now and again.

The guy's a genius.

There is a great difference between graffiti and genuine street art.

Those of us that are old enough can remember the gable ends of houses in Belfast, Londonderry, et al. The messages portrayed may not have reflected our points of veiw but there is no argument that the artwork was first class.

Suddick said:
A little too old for GCSE's, although I did make a little steel and aluminium vice in my 'O' Level, still works too 30 years later! I am old enough and fortunate enough to have my own real piece of Picasso and Dali (a small investment for my old age), Goya isn't something that my wallet will stretch to but probably my favourite Spanish artist (The Prado is my favourite place in the world).

Snobbery in art is quaint, but a bit old fashioned. Banksy attracts the crowds because he is a little bit controversial and he makes people think, he also reflects the feelings of a generation and injects some humour. One day those crowds will have earnt enough to want their own Banksy, they will happily pay for it, display it and expect a return on it. It's here to stay whether you think he's a hack or not.....ps I'm no fan of Miro's late work and neither were the critics of the time, others seem to disagree to the tune of millions £££ though and you can't move for it in the Reina Sofia, one entire gallery devoted to it last time I was there.

Edited because it looked like I quoted myself, nothing wrong with that but....

Banksy is already making his money with people like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt buying his work (Banksy: How to Make Millions with Spraycan and Stencil )

Ernest Hemingway said that his own best story was the shortest one (6 words) because the reader filled in the story: "Baby shoes for sale. Never worn"
So it is with the image below and why some of Banksy's work will endure.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tripster The NAAFI Bar 3
Jip Travolta RLC 11
G Aviation 6