A long long war

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by ugly, Apr 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Is being shipped this week, any questions (apart from why it took so long) and pm me, I'll pass them on.
    There is enough material for a volume 2 to be started so lets give enough material to finish it. Its your story folks so lets get it told.

2. Just received my copy today. Initial Impressions? A substantial book, he is clearly aiming to do a "Proper Job". This appears to be something more than an exercise in making money. Quite a few pictures, provided by the contributors and other authors who have written about our involvement in the troubles. I look forward to reading the stories in detail, and also hearing what other ARRSERS think.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Excellent, Looking forward to mine, expected it today and was told it would have a special signature inside.

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

can you give us a bit of background, i appear to have blinked and missed this

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

can you give us a bit of background, i appear to have blinked and missed this

and where's my fffing review copy?

6. I'm told there's a review of the book in today's Daily Express. I just can't bring myself to buy it though!!

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I ordered 2 copies, both arrived today, inscribed, one is a special inscription, the other will go to a good mate. Hopefully this will put a few ghosts to bed for him. It also may open a few nightmares. I also received a free cd from the NIVETS included. I'm listening to it now. I will post it and the book and an OP Banner badge to 94 for his birthday if I can remember when that is. I have had a quick look and its a hefty volume. Good value for money I'd say. I will need to do some serious commuting to finish this!
    I may now having blown my cover contribute some more to the next volume. I'd rather someone else did as there are a few ghosts I dont need to see. I read the bit from the lad from my old Bn badly hurt in Ballygawley. That is really touching, his mum contributed as well. Now as a parent I can understand the anguish they must have felt. I wish now that I hadnt put my mum through all that!

8. [/quote]I'm told there's a review of the book in today's Daily Express. I just can't bring myself to buy it though!![/quote]

I was about to order this JK, any reason why you won`t buy it or, more importantly, is there any reason why I shouldn`t?

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There is a Rockape contributor! But I suppose it might be seen as a soldier and marine only thing!

10. Apologies Rockape, my grammer only stretches to a CSE grade 3 in Pottery level. What I meant to say was I couldn't bring myself to buy the Daily SEXpress.

As a contributor, I have a signed copy of the book, it is an excellent testament to all those who served in the province. Ken Wharton has more than delivered on his initial promise to tell our story. It contains far more detail than I expected. Any soldier who served there, will be able to relate to it. It brings home the "Band of Brothers" aspect of our life. There are also contributions from family members, which Ugly has already alluded to.

I have only glanced through at this stage, one story that jumped out was an RRW guy, operating as a sniper in the early days, he chose not to slot a teenage girl carrying a weapon. Now as a middle aged man, with his own children, who are now young adults, he reflects on that decision. Its good stuff.

Ken Wharton is in the process of compiling Volume 2, and is looking for contributions.

11. RightOh, JK, thanks for that. I thought certainly from earlier comments, that there wouldn`t be too much wrong with the book, so I`ll go ahead and order it. Really looking forward to reding it.

Oh and I 100% agree about that rag...Express...not even good enough for aa arrsewipe!

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I've just finished mine after a long train journey. I wish I hadnt at times as it hurt a lot to be reminded of the sacrifices of friends and colleagues.
    I'm going to drink myself stupid for a few days and then have a think about contributing some more!

14. Ken Wharton

All I can say guys, for a big old ex-squaddie, I am not ashamed to say this; your comments and support touched me. So long as lads like you support me, I'll keep on telling the story of NI from OUR perspective, only OURS and no-one elses !

F**k mR Adams et al.