A Little Help Please

Afternoon All,

Sorry to intrude - I am in the midst of painting my Grandfathers portrait from the picture below and wondered if any of you experts out there can assist in identifying some detail for me given the photo is in black and white?

Information on his service is sadly somewhat scarce (he passed in 2017 but his service number doesn't seem to shed much light), but I am led to believe that he is pictured here serving in the Royal Artillery somewhere in India towards the end of the war. If you can I would like to know:
  • the colour of his beret. I am guessing (yes, even form this black and white shot) this is not the royal / dark blue google suggested and is probably khaki?
  • the colour of his shirt (battle dress / drill uniform?). Standard issue khaki or a lighter colour for the terrain? I note his brass 'shoulder titles' ( I think). The colour of the straps that they sit on would also be most helpful.
  • can you identify his cap badge from the splodge in picture. I'm surprised there isn't even a highlight of detail and again, it looks nothing like anything google suggested.
Any assistance would be really appreciated.

Pyke.

(Sorry for the civvy speak).

12295383_1119233538087753_3740002545703391606_n.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The beret would be a khaki colour, the shirt looks like a jungle green issue. It might be worth looking at it Ain't Half Hot Mum for colour ideas. I believe the uniforms are fairly accurate. That said someone else may well know more. The cap badge is the grenade I think looking at the pic.

Last edited:
The beret would be a khaki colour, the shirt looks like a jungle green issue. It might be worth looking at it Ain't Half Hot Mum for clour ideas. I believe the uniforms are fairly accurate. That said someone else may well know more. The cap badge is the grenade I think looking at the pic.

I agree with Helm in that most of the thicker band berets worn in your photo were khaki. I stand to be corrected, but all of the ones I have seen were.

Afternoon All,

Sorry to intrude - I am in the midst of painting my Grandfathers portrait from the picture below and wondered if any of you experts out there can assist in identifying some detail for me given the photo is in black and white?

Information on his service is sadly somewhat scarce (he passed in 2017 but his service number doesn't seem to shed much light), but I am led to believe that he is pictured here serving in the Royal Artillery somewhere in India towards the end of the war. If you can I would like to know:
  • the colour of his beret. I am guessing (yes, even form this black and white shot) this is not the royal / dark blue google suggested and is probably khaki?
  • the colour of his shirt (battle dress / drill uniform?). Standard issue khaki or a lighter colour for the terrain? I note his brass 'shoulder titles' ( I think). The colour of the straps that they sit on would also be most helpful.
  • can you identify his cap badge from the splodge in picture. I'm surprised there isn't even a highlight of detail and again, it looks nothing like anything google suggested.

Pyke.

View attachment 389488
Cracking photo! Khaki drill uniforms were being produced in an olive drab colour in the latter part of the war, so going from the dark-ish shade of his shirt in the photo, I'd say that this is probably what he's wearing.

His headgear is a general service cap. These were produced in both wool serge, and in a cotton tropical version. I think it looks like he is wearing the wool version, though I'm not 100%.

Take a look for this book (at your local library perhaps): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Khaki-Drill-Jungle-Martin-Brayley/dp/1861263600

I just tried colourising the image with the help of this site: https://colourise.sg/

Not perfect, but maybe of some help.
colorized-gunner india.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Cracking photo! Khaki drill uniforms were being produced in an olive drab colour in the latter part of the war, so going from the dark-ish shade of his shirt in the photo, I'd say that this is probably what he's wearing.

His headgear is a general service cap. These were produced in both wool serge, and in a cotton tropical version. I think it looks like he is wearing the wool version, though I'm not 100%.

Take a look for this book (at your local library perhaps): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Khaki-Drill-Jungle-Martin-Brayley/dp/1861263600
I never knew it was called a cap, I just thought they were crap at beret shaping. Every day a school day etc.

Here's your capbadge...

UBIQUE ~ latin for Everywhere. Motto of the Engineers and Artillery. As for the flaming grenade, the Artillery has 7 flames, the Engineers 9.

Here's your capbadge...

UBIQUE ~ latin for Everywhere. Motto of the Engineers and Artillery.
Excellent, thank you.

They don't make 'em like they used to. Nowadays you can actually make out some detail ;).

....I understand that the more precious materials were not squandered on nice-to-haves and reserved for essentials. I have just read that this was made from Bakelite, ‘the material of 1000 uses’.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I never knew it was called a cap, I just thought they were crap at beret shaping. Every day a school day etc.
During austere wartime conditions, a cheap GS cap like this was far cheaper to produce than a beret. Only RAC (and maybe one of two others) got the luxury of a beret.

Excellent, thank you.

They don't make 'em like they used to. Nowadays you can actually make out some detail ;).

....I understand that the more precious materials were not squandered on nice-to-haves and reserved for essentials. I have just read that this was made from the Bakelite, ‘the material of 1000 uses’.
I never knew that. Indeed everyday a school day.

Afternoon All,

Pyke.

What is his service number (and name)?