A little bit of web page assistance please

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by 4-8-Alfa, Sep 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blimy, go away for a while (no not nick), come back and the whole place has been redecorated, thought I'd come to the wrong site ‘till I looked in the NAAFI. Nice to see some of the old regulars giving it some. Anyway to the question.

A fellow ex squaddie mate’s son has just started up a new venture in Cornwall. (He wants to work thru an intermediary to keep his persec)

He has got a good looking website, Home - Explorer Cycle Hire but unless you put in its name e.g. Explorercyclehire (which doesn’t register until you get to the Y in cycle) as opposed to just cycle hire in Cornwall the site does not even appear on the radar and folks won’t intuitively put in Explorer….

So could any of you tech wizards please give me a steer on how to promote a web page.

By promote I don’t mean “to publicise a product so that people will buy or hire it” (well not quite) but more to bring it higher up on the browser page, or more to the point, get it in the first one or two.

So how does it all work? The site has got loads of what I would think are key words like cycle, hire, Cornwall, mountain, bikes etc but nada, not a sausage. So is it a case of passively sitting back and waiting for x number of hits or is there a proactive way of getting on the front page?

We found out about keyword stuffing and black/white hats so it has to be somewhat legal/ethical.

Any help would be hugely appreciated as would your patronage at the site if you were ever in Cornwall.

Oh, we have Googled but it’s way beyond our skill level, and no it's not spam.

Cheers in advance

4-8

2. Work out the search terms you want first.

Then make sure that they are in:
    a) The page header
    b) The domain name (a bit late for that now, but you could always change it. I would suggest something like cornwallcyclehire, etc)
    c) A good few times in the text

Submit a site map to google, and get the page registered

Increase your page rank. This is a black art that us mere mortals are not privvy to, but in short get pages that already have a high rank to link to yours.

3. Your mate needs to go back to his designer and get the Search Engine Optimisation sorted-out. Or get another designer. I'll PM you with the name of the bloke who did my company website.

4. Your missing a sitemap.xml and a robots.txt file which will both assist your ranking.

I don't see any H tags (H1, H2) which would also improve the keyword pick up from google

5. Gents

Thank you very much for your prompt response both here and by PM, I’m much wiser now than I was then.

Several suggestions are now entrain and hopefully we can see Home - Explorer Cycle Hire a bit nearer the top or at least on the front page.

Stay safe you guys who are still doing it.

Cheers

4-8

6. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

A few more suggestions for you:

• Google likes you to use all their services so make sure you submit the details to Google Shopping and Places. I'd also recommend Google webmaster tools and analytics
    • You could do with some of your key words (Cornwall!) being in the home page title
    • Submit the site to manual entry search engines - dmoz.org & yahoo directory are the two best known
    • This thread will also help as google quite likes ARRSE

7. Phew, when I saw Bad CO I thought I was on orders.

Thanks for that, I’ll pass it on.

Once again folks thanks for the help and advice.

Oh by the way, I do like the shiny new site, well done you guys and as my grandson would say – well wicked.

4-8

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Some good advice above. My 10p worth? You could do with a Facebook page. Just update it once a week with some pics and a caption like “Lovely day on Exmoor”. Host the same pic on your site and backlink to it from Facebook. Buy 1,000 ‘fans’ for $40 here Socialkik | Social Media Marketing Solutions so you dont look like Johnny Nomates. I’ve used them and it works

Since Google bought YouTube, YouTube clips are ranked in an ‘Everything’ search. I’m told that a website with YouTube clips hosted is 50 times more likely to get a unique first page ranking. SEO people will tell you Google can now ‘read’ clips. It can’t. It can read the title and tags. Use one keyword tag per clip – we’ve found that if you use loads Google knocks you back. Do YouTube clips yourself with a DigiCam.

9. Wow and the advice keeps coming in.

I can’t thank you enough for the tips which will all be passed on.

Home - Explorer Cycle Hire does have a face book page, Facebook

This gets you there but it’s messy. Is there a way of foreshortening it to make it more user friendly?

Also does the hit rate improve the standing on the search engine? If it does then Home - Explorer Cycle Hire is a good place to visit folks.

Cheers

4-8-Alfa

That's odd, when I put in the Facebook link it had loads of numbers etc like this - //m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=205005399534936&slog=413006315&seq=1139933978&fbtype=65&refid=0 (I took the HTPP bit off), seems like the system converted it to a link. I'm now assuming that it can be done in the same way say from an internet web site, would that be correct?

10. Folks

I have been replying to PM's but I've just checked my sent box and there are only old PM's in there from a while ago. So if you havn't recieved a PM I'm not ignoring you, just not hitting the right buttons.

If there are any admin reading this can I ask why I'm not seing recent sent stuff?

Once again cheers for the info.

4-8

11. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Have you ticked the box that says 'Save a Copy of this message'?

12. Bugger! No (hangs head). Didn't know I had to, but do and will now.

Thanks

13. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Maybe this will sound daft, as I've never commercially promoted a site, but don't Google do paid sponsorship through AdClicks or whatever it's called? From what I hear you can get some good results with a modest advertising budget and it's entirely customisable to give you the service you need. Apparently you just define the search terms you want to be related to and pay Google a small fee for every click that goes through to your site. Obviously this depends on having an advertising budget to begin with, but have you considered it?

14. Guys

Just got to say a BIG thanks for all of the advice.

Apart from the posts quite a few members did PM me and thru one there is now a decent web page, so I have to say a special thanks to s_n_l_r for his hard work in making Home - Explorer Cycle Hire a good place to visit.

Stay safe

Regards

4-8

15. Just a bit of banter but don't let Trading Standards find out;

Nice work on the site, and best of luck. If you come across a Moulton Mk2 drop me a line.