A little bit of info please.....

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by wright1986, May 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi,

    I was recently medically deferred from the Regular army because of my hearing test results, I had a perforated ear drum, which is now fine, but have a slight hearing loss.

    I was wondering, do I have to apply through the careers office, with the same process and medical etc... or, can I go direct through the ta centre and if so, would my hearing loss also bar me from joining th ta?

    Also, if this would be fine, I am a qualified electrician, would it benefit me more to carry on with this or learn something new, I would like to join the RE.

    Sorry for long winded question, just wanted to get it all out.

    Thanks for any help
  2. You can go straight into a TA centre however the medical is to the same (I believe) standards as regular entry. You will more than likely have to prove by means of certification from a hearing specialist that your ailment has now gone. Try calling up the TA centre that you are interested in first to get the correct answers and timings though.
  3. The medical standard is the same for the TA as for the Regulars and you will have to have a new medical with the TA. Contact the TA unit you want to join and explain that you applied for the Regulars through the AFCO. Contact the AFCO and let them know you are know applying for the TA and which unit you have applied to. If you can get in touch with the recruiter at the AFCO who were dealing with before ask if they have your records still and if they can post them through to the TA centre. You will need to provide a letter or further evidence from your GP that your hearing is now back to normal and you will have a hearing test with the TA as part of your medical.

    As for your electrical qualifications thats really up to you. If you want to do the same thing as you do in your day job they by all means mention your qualifications when you have your interview at the TA centre, if however you want something completely different from your civi job, speak to the recruiters and ask them what trades they currently have vacancies in. If you want to join RE in Newcastle get in touch with 103 Field Squadron on 01912 653232. Alternatively in Newcastle you have 102 Bn REME, 101 Regt RA, 5 RRF (Infantry), QOY (Cavalry) and 201 Fd Hosp RAMC so plenty of choice.
  4. Cheers for the replies!

    Its always been the RE that have interested me, so guess there's only one way to start the ball rolling, just keep my fingers crossed, see if a can get better results on my next hearing test.

    Thanks for the information.
  5. sorry to be a pest, but I have the letter saying I do not have a perforated ear drum no more, but I do have a hearing loss of 4000hz bilaterally(don't know what this means though!)

    Can anyone shed some light on this for me and would there be any point in trying to apply for the TA if this is the case?

    Thank You
  6. msr

    msr LE

    Best to go along to your local unit and speak to the Doc.

  7. This will be assessed by the medical officer and will depend on the trade you go for. Best to continue with the process, the worst that can happen is that they'll say no.
  8. If they have one in post!
  9. hearing loss AT 4k or hearing loss OF 4k?
  10. Sorry for the late reply

    The letter says "Today both tympanic membranes were in order. The hearing test shows symmetrical hearing with a hearing loss bilaterally at 4,000Hz."

    Any ideas what this means?