A little bit of advice about Thailand and the law!!!

Hi, I am the "friend". I haven't been asked for any money. He just told me that he contacted me while out getting money. It's now been four days since that message and I have heard nothing. I immediately messaged offering help so surely a hacker would have jumped at that. I am very concerned and not sure how to help.

I got an email from a lass I was seeing saying that she was stuck in Barcelona.

Funny, as we were having lunch in the English countryside at the time.

Not so long ago there was a prog on Quest about the Austrailian Embassy in Bancock. Typically it dealt with loads of arrested tourists, mostly Aussie of course. The common factor was that all the Aussies wanted Aussie law to apply, which it did not and the Embassy couldn't change that. Also it seemed that the most important aspect was usually about the locals not losing "face". So if your mate has in anyway offended a local, or the local plod, then his priority should be to make humble apologies and accept the blame on the grounds of his being ignorant of the local customs. In the prog the apologies were more important than money.

Thanks for your comment but my friends are definitely in Thailand. I got a message that they are in jail and actually knowing them that's very possible. He didn't ask for money so I doubt it's a scam. Please if you have advice let me know.

"the friend"

There must be something about this site.

I'm sitting here talking to the two concerned friends and after just two posts on here they've already started on the prison rape fantasies.

I despair. :eh:

XPM

If one has been let out to get money, they can obviously get it sorted their end.

Maybe they are out but have not been in touch with your mutual friend?

Thanks for your comment but my friends are definitely in Thailand. I got a message that they are in jail and actually knowing them that's very possible. He didn't ask for money so I doubt it's a scam. Please if you have advice let me know.

"the friend"

He can't have gone to get money AND be in jail.

Ring him.

If he is in jail, the Thai police will contact his embassy or someone on his behalf.

Contact the most likely people to have heard from them (his parents, probably) and find out. Be sure to warn of scam.

That seems to be part of the problem. One of the pair (or at least his phone) has been on line but is not responding. The other one is possibly more vulnerable; he is the one who was kept in and he has not been on line for a week. Without information the imagination runs wild, so they seek some means of tracking either of them down.

XPM

Hi, I am the "friend". I haven't been asked for any money. He just told me that he contacted me while out getting money. It's now been four days since that message and I have heard nothing. I immediately messaged offering help so surely a hacker would have jumped at that. I am very concerned and not sure how to help.
They're dead, move on.

That seems to be part of the problem. One of the pair (or at least his phone) has been on line but is not responding. The other one is possibly more vulnerable; he is the one who was kept in and he has not been on line for a week. Without information the imagination runs wild, so they seek some means of tracking either of them down.

XPM

Fb message. You can at least see if it's been picked up.

One has not been on line at all. The other one, who was supposedly let out for money and messaged about being arrested, has shown as on line but has not opened messages.

This could just be that one phone is stolen and the other person is not responding for whatever reason. It is the police involvement and the lack of communication that is worrying them.

One has not been on line at all. The other one, who was supposedly let out for money and messaged about being arrested, has shown as on line but has not opened messages.

This could just be that one phone is stolen and the other person is not responding for whatever reason. It is the police involvement and the lack of communication that is worrying them.
If you're that concerned, then UK police are a sensible first point of contact. They will presumably have some sort of relationships with Thai police... at the very least, through another agency such as the embassy.

@Offendi 's right, as are others here re the possible scam. Text messages, emails or social media messages are all suspect. Conclusive proof (uncoerced) of identity required before any sort of assistance to whoever is sending, other than getting the proper authorities involved. I've dealt with similar scenarios, but usually in S America. Nigerians weren't usually so sophisticated as to not be rumbled very quickly, but people living in the region should be able to give up-to-date advice on any local trends. @retread2 ?

Return tickets should get them back to UK at 6am Monday. If Thai police are holding them till their flight leaves (or, of course, if the whole thing is nonsense) they will be back then. If not, then UK police and the Latvian embassy. We'll go from there.

XPM

@eodmatt Can you tell OP how fucked his mates are?
Assuming it's not a scam then they have either been nicked for committing a crime or it's a police scam where the police want dosh to waive the trumped up charges. Until you know the facts don't do anything.