A little bit of advice about Thailand and the law!!!

Here's a strange one which someone on here might be able to help with.

A friend has just told me they are a bit worried about two mutual acquaintances who are on a trip to Thailand and seem to have been arrested. No firm information, just a garbled message on social media which say one of them is in police custody while the other had been let out to get money.

My friend wants to track them down/find them. To complicate it, they are Lithuanians resident in England so we probably can't use the British Consulate or whatever.

Does anyone out there (probably ex-pat living in Thailand) know any helpful hints on who might be holding them ie what type of police; and what the rules are on bail etc.. Or even just how we could locate them.

Obviously, comment here all you like. But anything confidential is best kept to PMs.

The site is a fount of all sorts of knowledge, expertise and experience. I'm sure this isn't too esoteric for the collective wisdom of arrse.

XPM

A friend has just told me they are a bit worried about two mutual acquaintances who are on a trip to Thailand and seem to have been arrested. No firm information, just a garbled message on social media which say one of them is in police custody while the other had been let out to get money.

My friend wants to track them down/find them. To complicate it, they are Lithuanians resident in England so we probably can't use the British Consulate or whatever.

Does anyone out there (probably ex-pat living in Thailand) know any helpful hints on who might be holding them ie what type of police; and what the rules are on bail etc.. Or even just how we could locate them.

Obviously, comment here all you like. But anything confidential is best kept to PMs.

The site is a fount of all sorts of knowledge, expertise and experience. I'm sure this isn't too esoteric for the collective wisdom of arrse.

XPM

Yes.

Are you certain that they are there?

Sounds like a hacker sting. Hack fb, boo hoo we need money. Please send to western union. Can't talk sorry, police have my phone.

Add. Even if they are there, do nothing until you/they speak to them. Not hard for a hacker to find out where you are.

No, it seems genuine. People in the social media loop say they are uncharacteristically off grid.

The message was certainly in his unmimicable style.

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
No, it seems genuine. People in the social media loop say they are uncharacteristically off grid.

The message was certainly in his unmimicable style.
Well that would happen if they had had their accounts hacked.

They would be off the grid.

Offendi is correct. You are flapping over second/third hand info and involving another web group unnecessarily. Do nothing until you have verbal contact and a full appreciation of the situation. If the third parties are in the shit of their own doing and you feel obliged to sort it out then crack on. It is not a problem for unrelated third parties to sort out.

Offendi is correct. You are flapping over second/third hand info and involving another web group unnecessarily. Do nothing until you have verbal contact and a full appreciation of the situation. If the third parties are in the shit of their own doing and you feel obliged to sort it out then crack on. It is not a problem for unrelated third parties to sort out.
If he has gone to get money, it'll be bail money. I bet my bottom dollar that the next message says he doesn't have enough. Credit has run out on phone. Can't take international calls because they cost. Using station wifi. Please help. Here is western union number. Please help.

Story stinks.

Not flapping. Just completely uninformed about the Thai legal system.

I know what I would be doing if it was a couple of lads missing in, maybe, Spain or Greece. I just hoped someone here could tell us routes to take to find out if they are in custody. Does Latvia (sorry, got it wrong in my first post) have consular presence? Maybe someone with Thai experience would know.

I know what I would be doing if it was a couple of lads missing in, maybe, Spain or Greece. I just hoped someone here could tell us routes to take to find out if they are in custody. Does Latvia (sorry, got it wrong in my first post) have consular presence? Maybe someone with Thai experience would know.
Screenshot_2016-09-10-20-41-33.png

I know what I would be doing if it was a couple of lads missing in, maybe, Spain or Greece.
Yes. Ringing them. Then leaving a text and a fb message.

Then seeing how it smells if they reply.

Then worrying in a day or two if they don't. And meantime, doing what you can to alert their friends that there may be a scammer about. Especially their parents.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
My friend of a friend told me.... don't agree to send them any money, that'll just blow their negotiations out the water. The police won't want to bust them, especially if negotiations have started, just scare and fleece them.

Price in Manila 20 odd years ago was a British passport (replaced via embassy back door) and £400 - that was up against a 15 year jail term though.

Once the deal is done, sit tight - once you've paid the dibbles once, you effectively become part of a club and can call anthem back for assistance in other matters.

Apparently... :-D

Yes.

Are you certain that they are there?

Sounds like a hacker sting. Hack fb, boo hoo we need money. Please send to western union. Can't talk sorry, police have my phone.
You could be right , its been around for a while , dont send a bean until they can answer a "private" question.

You are out of theatre and operating on third or fourth hand information from your keyboard. Give your head a wobble, if you are that concerned jump a flight and get out there. If you know what to do if people are missing in other countries apply the same principles.

XPM
If the best you have is a garbled message from a 'friend' on social media then you are an appointed apostle of The Emperor and deserve to have your account emptied in a flash of purple smoke. Either that or the snowflakes really are in trouble having tried to be 'entitled' under a foreign jurisdiction and therefore by default deserve all they get.

Either way sympathy nil. Next!

OZ