A litre of water's a pint and three quarters.

What I can't get my head around is inch fractions.
1/4" Vs 5.5mm?
7/32" spanner?
I'm quite happy with my 1/2" drive 14mm socket, my 10mm hex key and my 18mm open ended spanner.
I should perhaps take my 5'8" 90Kg frame outside in the 25 degree heat and relax with a pint.

35 years ago a mid 20's bloke walked into the car accessory shop I was working in and asked if we sold Whitworth spanners.
What Vincent have you got I asked as AFAIK they were the only major manufacter to use that size.
It turned out to a very nice V Twin 1 Litre.
So a mix even back then.

My wife gets very confused by feet and inches. Turns out she’d been lied to by her previous boyfriends who’d all told her six inches is a foot.

I have 12 inches but I don't use it as a rule.

Boom.....tish....You set 'em up, I'll knock 'em down.

My wife gets very confused by feet and inches. Turns out she’d been lied to by her previous boyfriends who’d all told her six inches is a foot.
If she charged them per inch she must have done alright then.

Mine did, I said yes babe no probs but I only want to give you the last inch.

You can never be sure there days just what is satire and what is "news'. That said, I appear to have just read that the Government is about to conduct a business study into the merits of returning to the imperial measurement system. Now I am all for joining those economic powerhouses of Liberia and Myanmar and making trade easier between ourselves, but I can't help be suspicious that this is all about securing the over 75 voting block for the Tories. It could be a wind up, but as I said, it's hard to tell these days. I'm sure there is a Johnson stoolie ready to walk it back when it gets fully ridiculed.

Government studies return to Imperial measures
Part of the questionnaire/poll should entail calculating the weight of water in a one metre cube tank. Showing calculation in Imperial units of measurement.

Nigel2

Clanker
A kilometer is 5/8ths of a mile. Me in the back seat arguing how fast dad's driving down the autobahn on his European hols. Imperial is fucked, miles is the only thing clinging on because it's too much bullshit to change all the roadsigns. Pikeys have got the right idea I think, weigh them all in.

Slightly off thread ..... but another possible way of coping with a range of nuts/bolts regardless of type ... some years ago I actually bought a one .... it is sitting in a toolbox in the garage never used in anger ...

Multi Skt.jpg

... and I then remembered the " Fractal Vice " ... fascinating bit of kit ...

ETA ... just noticed first demo on the vice uses a double ended adjustable spanner ... one end obviously AF and the other Metric .

... anyhoo ... back on thread . ( SWIDT )

Last edited:
Slightly off thread ..... but another possible way of coping with a range of nuts/bolts regardless of type ... some years ago I actually bought a one .... it is sitting in a toolbox in the garage never used in anger ...

View attachment 642643
Good. Guaranteed to fcuk any nut/bolt AND give you skinned knuckles AND end up with all those little rod things detaching and disappearing into the bowels of whatever bit of kit you are working on.

Even at the height of the EU tyranny I refused to bow down to the eurocrat SI measurement loonies and still measured the string that holds my trousers up in pints rather than sodding kilograms.

We need to go back to how many Nelson’s Columns and London buses things are, but we also need ready measurement comparisons that are meaningful to British people. An obvious one is that groups of paedophiles should measured in Saviles, and it’s about time we were honest and say that an average component of the asteroid belt is about the size of a lesbian.

Anyway, can’t stop. I’m just off out for a British gravy boat of milk, and just let them try and stop me…

Not reading the whole previous thread, but at work I would refer to something being 1 metre six inches long or such, as 6 is easier to quickly understand than 150.

Imperial is much easier to refer to in human terms. A pint, foot, inch, 0-60 m.p.h., m.p.g. etc. are easily understood and we built an empire on it. I inherited all my uncle's scale rules (wooden, machine divided) which he used at uni and subsequently his work in Africa. Having said that, a millimetre is easier to use for small measurements such as is used in architecture and civil engineering.

My son and daughter would never refer to their height or weight in metric.

shadowonarun

Old-Salt
I don’t know if it’s been mentioned and i can’t be arrrsed to check but is Wales an imperial or metric measurement?
the news was alway banging on about deforestation of an area the size of wales, so which is it?
wembley stadium must be imperial or it would hold 100,000 punters