A litre of water's a pint and three quarters.

Eyes_Right

Old-Salt
You can never be sure there days just what is satire and what is "news'. That said, I appear to have just read that the Government is about to conduct a business study into the merits of returning to the imperial measurement system. Now I am all for joining those economic powerhouses of Liberia and Myanmar and making trade easier between ourselves, but I can't help be suspicious that this is all about securing the over 75 voting block for the Tories. It could be a wind up, but as I said, it's hard to tell these days. I'm sure there is a Johnson stoolie ready to walk it back when it gets fully ridiculed.

Government studies return to Imperial measures

The government is to launch a study of the economic benefits of reintroducing imperial units of measurement, to quantify a supposed advantage of Brexit.

Ministers provoked mockery from opposition politicians with the “ludicrous” move, which will be overseen by the business department this year.

In 2019, Boris Johnson pledged to usher in a new “era of generosity and tolerance towards traditional measurements” and suggested that measuring in pounds and ounces was “ancient liberty”.

You can never be sure there days just what is satire and what is "news'. That said, I appear to have just read that the Government is about to conduct a business study into the merits of returning to the imperial measurement system. Now I am all for joining those economic powerhouses of Liberia and Myanmar and making trade easier between ourselves, but I can't help be suspicious that this is all about securing the over 75 voting block for the Tories. It could be a wind up, but as I said, it's hard to tell these days. I'm sure there is a Johnson stoolie ready to walk it back when it gets fully ridiculed.

Nonsense

Both systems should be fully legal - for example as miles and feet are now for road use.

Outlawing Imperial as was done, was just a spitful and petulant act to damage Britian by avid pro frog quislings who hate everything about us, perchance including yourself.

If you want to do things in metric you could try joining the Army, who have had to get familar with the 'system' as have our American cousins, to give our NATO allies the impression we take them seriously.

Last edited:
Some of us old f*rts have never been fully " Metricated " .... I always remember " A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter " .... what could be easier... when I go walking I work in km however in the car I use miles ... we have had a bit of breezy weather over the past few months .... I still check forecasts for wind in MPH but I must admit to getting a feel for temperature in Celsius .

One thing is for certain if implemented manufacturers will see this as an opportunity for price increases two simple examples .... pipe tobacco was once sold in two ounce packs which equated to 56 grams and these have become 50 gram packs and beer by the pint ~ 550 ml however now a normal can is 500 ml ... any move back to imperial will more than reflect the ~10% change .

Last edited:

You've just read the Independent.
It really isn't.

Awol

LE
Whilst on the subject, what the hell is Fahrenheit all about?

Centigrade is absolutely logical…. Freezing point is zero degrees (as near as dammit) and boiling point is 100 degrees. Everything else is in between.

When Americans talk about the temperature being -40, I have no idea what that means, whether it’s Siberian or Bermudan.

Good luck teaching Imperial measure to today's primary school children. It would probably be considered inhumane.

Centigrade is absolutely logical…. Freezing point is zero degrees (as near as dammit) and boiling point is 100 degrees. Everything else is in between.

When Americans talk about the temperature being -40, I have no idea what that means, whether it’s Siberian or Bermudan.

I think you chose -40 on purpose and I think we both know why .... it is on the cool side .

anglo

LE
We have schooled a few generations of kids in metric, best now if we stay with metric,
Going back to imperial would cause more trouble than it's worth.
You really want to go back to pound, shilling and pence

We have schooled a few generations of kids in metric, best now if we stay with metric,
Surely the same logic could have beeen applied but over many more generations when the decision was made to go metric ... but we did .

The same is true of Fahrenheit and freezing. The issue being that Daniel Fahrenheit decided to base his scale not on pure water but on ice in a salt solution which produces a temperature of roughly -20 Celsius. Where he got the rest of his numbers from I have no idea.

You old farts will all be dead soon anyway then we can all return to the ever loving arms of our European friends and neighbours...

Were doomed.png

Last edited:
You really want to go back to pound, shilling and pence
It's hard enough getting them to work from metres to metres cubed or centimetres down to micrometres. Getting them to convert from inches to cubic feet or grains to tons would give me an aneurysm.

Please don't take any notice of articles in the Indy or "London Economic" (snigger) and certainly don't follow the links to increase their revenue.
If you really want to wrap yourselves in a Remain voters blanket, try Alky Al Campbells teary publication for a giggle:

rmn

LE
Surely the same logic could have beeen applied but over many more generations when the decision was made to go metric ... but we did .
I think it was probably easier teaching children of my generation metric, having done our first 9 years life in Imperial, thaan teaching Imperial to children who've leant metric up to now. I'm qute happy with either and have reason to do both, though Avoirdupois and fluid drachm gets me struggling. A cycnical part of me does think this is a popularist ploy for the elderly. Having said that, we've had 51 years to get used to "new money".