A litle help would be ideal.

#1
Greetings,

I'm about to join the TA as an officer, hoping to join an infantry battalion. I've sent my paperwork in and my medical form is 'in Glasgow', which seems fine, though I can't reach my recruiting captain to find out what's going on. I'm a little confused about the whole process and it all just seems mind-bogglingly complicated to begin with - too many acronyms that some of the sergeants don't even know, three points of contact etc.

I've some questions I would find very useful to get answered:

1) fitness: how fit do I need to be? I am going in under DEPO which apparently means I do 2 modules to begin with that form the CIC - do I therefore need to be a fit as recruits need to be, or fitter? I've seen everything banded around from 14 minutes to 9.14 for the run (RRR? CPT? CFT? CFPT?) - can someone please give me a figure?

2) kit: I don't want to come with fancy kit on day one looking like a tit, but I do want to invest for the next 2 years of training and then 6+ years of serving. What kind of things should I be looking for? I don't want to get bashed kidneys weekend 3 and go home not wanting to continue, so sensible suggestions on comfort welcome.

3) what's the TAPO?

4) how long does it take to begin? I've been provisionally booked in to begin at the Bde RTC in late June, but need to get the module under my belt first. Is that realistic?

Thanks very much. If this information is around elsewhere, please forgive me, point it to me and I'll say thank you.

FF
 

jmj

Old-Salt
#2
Ffyll said:
Greetings,
1) fitness: how fit do I need to be? I am going in under DEPO which apparently means I do 2 modules to begin with that form the CIC - do I therefore need to be a fit as recruits need to be, or fitter? I've seen everything banded around from 14 minutes to 9.14 for the run (RRR? CPT? CFT? CFPT?) - can someone please give me a figure?
You need to be running a PFT (that's your 1.5 mile run) in well under 10.30 as an officer.
RRR = Risk reduction run (14 mins or so) basically a starting point for recruits.
CFT = Combat Fitness Test. 6 Miles carrying 25kg in 1.5 hours (inf standard).

Ffyll said:
2) kit: I don't want to come with fancy kit on day one looking like a tit, but I do want to invest for the next 2 years of training and then 6+ years of serving. What kind of things should I be looking for? I don't want to get bashed kidneys weekend 3 and go home not wanting to continue, so sensible suggestions on comfort welcome.
Use the kit you'll be issued. You won't be able to use anything else at Sandhurst or during basic. Once you're passed that you should be clued up enough to know what you'll need.

Ffyll said:
3) what's the TAPO?
TA Potential Officer. A TA soldier who's now going officer.

Ffyll said:
4) how long does it take to begin? I've been provisionally booked in to begin at the Bde RTC in late June, but need to get the module under my belt first. Is that realistic?
Which module? You should either be doing a concentrated MOD1 (basic training) with a RTC with other potential officers, or a standard basic (7 weekends and 2 week CMSR/CIC) with those joining as soldiers. What you can do first will depend on what brigade you're joining I imagine.

There's lots of good stuff on the wiki
 
#3
http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Recommended_kit

Definitely get a boot polishing kit :D Oh and a decent cup, socks and some twisties!

There's loads of Gucci kit around but I am trying to limit myself to the basics till I am further into my training.
 
#4
Thank you, both of you.


Jmj: I am taking a basic military training module - 1a, I think it's called, before doing some training at the RTC. I'm guessing that's how to march, fire, assemble, salute, dig etc, that everyone does. Have I understood that right?

10.30 is a nice time to aim at, IMHO. I'm fairly tall so fairly fast. However, as the Adj kindly put it, I've fcuk all upstairs in terms of press ups. Anyone got a good tip for these?
 
#6
Ffyll said:
I am taking a basic military training module - 1a, I think it's called, before doing some training at the RTC. I'm guessing that's how to march, fire, assemble, salute, dig etc, that everyone does. Have I understood that right?
Its more basic than that....its very basic! phonetic alphabet, 24 hr clock, basic drills...no 'about turn on the march' which is the dangerous end of a rifle :D .....basic safety procedures!

We assume that people have absolutely NO concept of anything military!
 
#7
charlotte-the-harlot said:
jmj said:
CFT = Combat Fitness Test. 6 Miles carrying 25kg in 1.5 hours (inf standard)
That will be increased to 8 miles from April :D edited to add.... in two hours!
The Regiment I'm joining has this as a requirement already. A steady 4 mph for 2 hours - I'm not sure what I think about it. It's either really quite easy or really difficult and I've done nothing like it before so I can't tell.
 
#9
Ffyll if it is TAFS1 you are doing be prepared for death by powerpoint...We did 24 hour clock and phonetic alphabet on the induction weekend then on TAFS1 we did military law, security, H&S, main areas of deployment, morals and values, equal opps....

The good thing is that now it's all out the way - next weekend we get to do fieldcraft!
 
#10
The CO did imply I might be a little bit bored and a little bit sick of PowerPoint. I have a great deal of enthusiasm for this, however, I can't wait to begin. Is there a test or is it a weekend of sitting back and chewing gum?

A real question - is this after for before the RSW?
 
#11
Ffyll said:
Jmj: I am taking a basic military training module - 1a, I think it's called, before doing some training at the RTC. I'm guessing that's how to march, fire, assemble, salute, dig etc, that everyone does. Have I understood that right?
That's pretty much it.

Ffyll said:
10.30 is a nice time to aim at, IMHO. I'm fairly tall so fairly fast. However, as the Adj kindly put it, I've fcuk all upstairs in terms of press ups. Anyone got a good tip for these?
Little and often. If you can do 10.. do 10, as often as you can. Concentrate on correct technique (lock out arms and down until your upper arm is parallel to the floor)
Build up the number you do each time slowly as you improve.

Mod 2 onwards is very physical.. Get your phy sorted now or you'll struggle. Good luck!

Oh, and a tip, get your AOSB briefing done early!

J
 
#13
Ffyll said:
Is there a test or is it a weekend of sitting back and chewing gum?

A real question - is this after for before the RSW?
If you haven't done your RSW you'll do medicals, interviews and command tasks then. We also did numeracy and literacy tests on ours.

Then onto TAFS1 when we did all the military law etc. It wasn't thrilling but you are likely to get tested on this and will be expected to know about it further down the training so it's worth paying attention as much as possible. Thrilling it ain't...But you've got to do it to do the good stuff :wink:
 
#14
Ffyll said:
I've fcuk all upstairs in terms of press ups. Anyone got a good tip for these?
Do them in groups of 10 during the day. Try to get 100 pushed out in 24 hours. Give it 2 weeks. Problem sorted.

msr
 
#15
Thank you all for your help and comments. I've been 'loaded' onto the Westbury briefing now in mid May, which was a shock as I'd been led to believe it would be July. Now I need to double my training rates!

In Module III I get to do 'PRACTAC'. Which lovely acronym has a wonderful meaning, I'm sure: would anyone like to include me in this great circle of knowledge?

Thank you again.
 
#16
Ffyll said:
Thank you, both of you.


Jmj: I am taking a basic military training module - 1a, I think it's called, before doing some training at the RTC. I'm guessing that's how to march, fire, assemble, salute, dig etc, that everyone does. Have I understood that right?

10.30 is a nice time to aim at, IMHO. I'm fairly tall so fairly fast. However, as the Adj kindly put it, I've fcuk all upstairs ,in terms of press ups. Anyone got a good tip for these?
:D Sorry couldn't help smiling at that one as I've met a few very dumb Officer cadets in my time, balanced by some pretty smart ones as well.

Just remember that at first you are not expected to know that much, but as an Officer you will need to absorb a lot of information fairly quickly as well as be an exemplary leader of warriors.

Good luck with your training.
pp
 
#17
Ffyll said:
Thank you all for your help and comments. I've been 'loaded' onto the Westbury briefing now in mid May, which was a shock as I'd been led to believe it would be July. Now I need to double my training rates!

In Module III I get to do 'PRACTAC'. Which lovely acronym has a wonderful meaning, I'm sure: would anyone like to include me in this great circle of knowledge?

Thank you again.
It's a test of your understanding of the Estimates and Orders process as learnt during Mods 2+3 - an opportunity to stand on the side of a windswept hill in Winter describing to a visiting officer how you would execute an attack on an enemy position, convicing him that your plan will be successful with the liberal use of warry phrases and vigorous chopping movements of your hand in the vague direction of the enemy. No need to worry about that just yet though.

For your fitness issue, it's good to have a plan; I joined a gym and got one of the instructors to come up with one for me based on what I needed to achieve by when - upper body strength and cardio is very important for AOSB.

Also, The Grauniad is your friend, the booklets for the British Army Fitness Programme are still available online;

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/armyfitness/0,,2230720,00.html


feel free to PM me if you need any other info
 
#18
Pluvia_Plumbum said:
Ffyll said:
Thank you, both of you.


Jmj: I am taking a basic military training module - 1a, I think it's called, before doing some training at the RTC. I'm guessing that's how to march, fire, assemble, salute, dig etc, that everyone does. Have I understood that right?

10.30 is a nice time to aim at, IMHO. I'm fairly tall so fairly fast. However, as the Adj kindly put it, I've fcuk all upstairs ,in terms of press ups. Anyone got a good tip for these?
:D Sorry couldn't help smiling at that one as I've met a few very dumb Officer cadets in my time, balanced by some pretty smart ones as well.

Just remember that at first you are not expected to know that much, but as an Officer you will need to absorb a lot of information fairly quickly as well as be an exemplary leader of warriors.

Good luck with your training.
pp
I have a feeling I meant my triceps rather than brain power :p. But thanks for the advice. :)
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Officers 15
PartTimePongo The Intelligence Cell 3
A The Intelligence Cell 6

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top