A Level Results out - Drop in Applications for Uni

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
For those of you with teenage kids - something of interest for you.

My daughter about to start her second year at college and already talking about the idea of trying for an apprenticeship over being saddled with £1,000s of debt.

Figures show UK applications decreased from 553,000 in 2016 to just short of 530,000 this year - a 4% drop. The number of EU students planning to study at a UK university or college has also fallen by 5%.

The dip is being attributed to a drop in the number of 18-19 year olds in the country and changes to popular bursary schemes.

Source: Sky News

A-level results are out as uni applications fall

Holly Hollingworth is one A-level student waiting for her results but already accepted on to an apprenticeship:
"I've always had a part-time job and that just sort of suited me more rather than going to college 24/7, five days a week" she told Sky News.

I'm guessing maths wasn't one of her A-levels then...

Can you blame them, say £27000 for fees, add in student loans to help pay for living costs being away from home and £40000 in debts is easily achievable, or more if they want to be a doctor etc

A bit of a loadstone when degrees hold little value, and I've noticed more professional jobs where having a degree has slipped to a desirable requirement with the focus more on relevant skills and experience

Employers are starting to shift away from wanting degrees so apprenticeships make sense again now that employers are more likely to value them

Am I alone in deriving immense guilty pleasure from sneering at the misfortune of self-entitled snowflakes on results day (oh and maybe lingering for a moment or two longer than is probably appropriate on some of the Daily Mail photos of 18 yr old Sophies magnificent pair of results?)

No

Another year has passed and another batch of apparently ever more talented and intelligent and still barely able to cope with using the toilet on their own snowflakes are in the paper floating for joy at their results. Ahead of them lies years of misery, crippling debt and the dawning reality that they've paid tens of thousands of pounds for a piece of paper which has got them a job in a call centre taking orders from a non grad apprentice who just cracked on.

One of my naughty guilty pleasures is that I find the results day palava hilarious over at a certain student themed site - full of snowflakes howling in outrage that they didn't get into Oxbridge, the false compassion from other snowflakes saying 'don't worry plenty more out there, prior to bragging about how they did get in' and lots of people who can barely spell their names bragging about getting 3 A* and getting into a university so new they've not even finished printing the brochures yet.

Add to this the inevitable stereotypical - 'I only got 3 A* and an A and my mother is not speaking to me as I can't go to University of X to do the medicine degree she wanted me to do, so my life is over and I'm going to kill myself' and other wonderful examples of people who've spent their lives being told they're special, only to fail at the first hurdle and its a great day for sneering.

Am I alone in deriving immense guilty pleasure from sneering at the misfortune of self-entitled snowflakes on results day (oh and maybe lingering for a moment or two longer than is probably appropriate on some of the Daily Mail photos of 18 yr old Sophies magnificent pair of results?)

Linky to above site so I can enjoy the meltdowns please.

Another year has passed and another batch of apparently ever more talented and intelligent and still barely able to cope with using the toilet on their own snowflakes are in the paper floating for joy at their results. Ahead of them lies years of misery, crippling debt and the dawning reality that they've paid tens of thousands of pounds for a piece of paper which has got them a job in a call centre taking orders from a non grad apprentice who just cracked on.

One of my naughty guilty pleasures is that I find the results day palava hilarious over at a certain student themed site - full of snowflakes howling in outrage that they didn't get into Oxbridge, the false compassion from other snowflakes saying 'don't worry plenty more out there, prior to bragging about how they did get in' and lots of people who can barely spell their names bragging about getting 3 A* and getting into a university so new they've not even finished printing the brochures yet.

Add to this the inevitable stereotypical - 'I only got 3 A* and an A and my mother is not speaking to me as I can't go to University of X to do the medicine degree she wanted me to do, so my life is over and I'm going to kill myself' and other wonderful examples of people who've spent their lives being told they're special, only to fail at the first hurdle and its a great day for sneering.

Please, please, please which site /forum is this? I need some entertainment.

jim30

LE
Its a site, known as 'The Student Room', just turn up and wander round the various panic threads being started.

I won't post links till Mods tell me that's okay, (but some quick googling will see you right) as I think an arrser got into trouble there a few years ago for winding up the locals by pretending to be a foreign student who wanted to bring his dog to university and asked where he could go 'dogging' - and it went downhill from there as poor students desperately tried to help...

offog

LE
Having seen both sides of the fence, one went and one didn't, the one that didn't is earning more and has no debt. She had A levels and after tree year in post is training the apprentices who range from 17-28 and some with degrees. Fortunately for them the company does not pay the £3.50 apprentice rate. She is now on an HNC which the company are paying for and will then move to an HND.

Ecosse

On ROPS
On ROPs
Only advice I could offer the females when legal is get yer chebs out in Magaluf, get kidnapped, go shopping with said kidnapper, make an easy 50k. Boys....get to IPhone rehab, grow a pair, and get a job. Any job. Effing Xbox useless junkies. There now. Sorted. :)

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Only advice I could offer the females when legal is get yer chebs out in Magaluf, get kidnapped, go shopping with said kidnapper, make an easy 50k. Boys....get to IPhone rehab, grow a pair, and get a job. Any job. Effing Xbox useless junkies. There now. Sorted. :)

You are Richard Littlejohn and I claim my £5... :-D

Its a site, known as 'The Student Room', just turn up and wander round the various panic threads being started.

I won't post links till Mods tell me that's okay, (but some quick googling will see you right) as I think an arrser got into trouble there a few years ago for winding up the locals by pretending to be a foreign student who wanted to bring his dog to university and asked where he could go 'dogging' - and it went downhill from there as poor students desperately tried to help...

Did this arrser have a dog called 'Syndrome' by any chance ?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Do you have any kids @jim30?

RFbloke

Old-Salt
I will try to add some 'balance' to this before I join in and take the @iss as well.

Okay, for certain professions doing a degree is almost essential (note I have said almost). I found that in the electronics industry you needed at least a 2.1 technical degree to get a 1st interview as a grad (back in the 90s). This has only got tougher since then (firms now looking for 2.1 and first class). Okay, that's the balance bit done.

Unfortunately there now seems to be degrees in everything, Id not be surprised if we see one in bricklaying soon. A ridiculous state of affairs.

My local Sixth Form College lays on Crisis Councillors for results day to comfort the meltees

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Successful day here. Youngest nipper has secured his first choice.

Issi

LE
My middle boy has just got the necessary 3A's to start a Mech Engineering MEng in Sheffield. Very very pleased!

D

Deleted 60082

Crash Minor is over the Moon: English A*, Economics A*, RS A. Well the £90K we contributed to his school over the last 9 years wasn't wasted, then.

PPE at a really decent university now beckons (he had three offers based on AAB - so he can now go through the Adjustments process).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads