• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

A Letter to David Cameron

Now, I lack the articulation gifted unto many of the people on ARRSE, but I felt that after today I had to at least try.

Dear Sir,

This is a request - nay, a plea - for your help.

Many within Her Majesty's Armed Forces have reached a breaking point that will be difficult to return from. After 10 years of under-investment, neglect and, frankly, contempt from this Labour government we have reached our lowest ebb, certainly within the some quarters, with the release of proposals to cut back the surface fleet of the Royal Navy by half.

Between this, proposals to suspend the training of the Parachute Regiment, constant equipment shortages, poor accommodation, low pay, delayed and cancelled training elsewhere and the constant denial of overstretch many have simply ran out of patience and energy to fight on.

It should not be the case that we face enemies in global theatres for the perceived, although sometimes questionable, defence of this nation only to have to turn around and defend ourselves from politicians who would seek to destroy us from behind. This morally repugnant situation is only made worse by the visible contempt our Prime Minister displays to those who have been injured in the wars he sought by having never visited them.

I do not wish this appeal to degenerate into a whine about the state of things now, but I do wish to appeal for you to help us make them better.

I am - no, was - a Labour voter through and through, but the disappointment that I feel in this administration has reached a point of criticality.

I am but the tip of the iceberg of those serving and ex-serving personnel who feel this way. I in no way represent them, but I believe I reflect their common views. I beg you to become vocal on defence and to the preservation of our Armed Forces who, in all three services, fight to defend this country and who have throughout history shown a willingness to make sacrifices greater than most. It is within this context that I ask you and your party to ensure that the continuing efforts of better men and women than I are not forgotten and that increasing defence spending and visible support - beyond the spun lip-service of New Labour - is a reality.

Appropriate defence spending may not be a vote-winner, but it is right and, beyond this, necessary in the absolute.

Yours sincerely,

Chalky
Sort of ran out of ideas now, short of an armed uprising. :roll:

I have no doubt the Tory Boy will continue to be as disgustingly reasonable as his housewife fans demand, but they are, for better or worse, Her Majesty's Official Opposition and I for one would damn well like them to act like it.

Not too shabby an attempt. I particularly like the tip of an iceberg bit. You have sent this?

Thanks to both of you.

Yes, I have sent it. If Conservative Central office want to pick apart my excessive use of the comma and my constant self-reference then they're missing the point, and my vote. :)

Here's a summary of your plea;

Oi Cameron!
I know that you are a pointless biff, with a CV that would struggle to fill the back of a postage stamp.
Nevermind. If you want the votes of the people who guard your pampered, worthless, existence then start making them some well thought out promises.
Failing that, GO GET A LIFE.
How in the name of ARRSE did David Davies lose to you?
Love and Kisses
Gennithmedicxx

gennithmedic said:
Here's a summary of your plea;

Oi Cameron!
I know that you are a pointless biff, with a CV that would struggle to fill the back of a postage stamp.
Nevermind. If you want the votes of the people who guard your pampered, worthless, existence then start making them some well thought out promises.
Failing that, GO GET A LIFE.
How in the name of ARRSE did David Davies lose to you?
Love and Kisses
Gennithmedicxx
That's pretty much it, but far more succinct than I could ever hope to be.

I suggest you send that. :wink:

In fact, I suggest everyone who reads this thread sends a letter along the same lines. Even if they only get 100, that's enough to take notice and at least start paying attention.

Might be a good idea to leave out the David Davies bit, because it's rude. How about:
Oi! Cameron,
What have you done for your country, did you even serve as a cadet at Eton. If not Why not?

gennithmedic said:
Might be a good idea to leave out the David Davies bit, because it's rude. How about:
Oi! Cameron,
What have you done for your country, did you even serve as a cadet at Eton. If not Why not?
No, leave in the David Davies bit, but suggest a bit of high-level political skiffing followed by an announcement about it. Guaranteed forces vote winner.

Failing that he could do Ann Widdecombe up the starfish and film it on his phone following it up with a well-executed 6AM retreat having vomited on her carpet, minge-based or otherwise.

You'd practically have to vote for him after that.

Why is it that we constantly hear of shortage of money for the Armed Forces and yet there is never any shortage for overseas aid , treating crack heads , keeping criminals alive in jail , paying benefits to chavs and others who have contributed nothing to society???

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
OldTimer said:
Why is it that we constantly hear of shortage of money for the Armed Forces and yet there is never any shortage for overseas aid , treating crack heads , keeping criminals alive in jail , paying benefits to chavs and others who have contributed nothing to society???
Because we don't have the use of some pinko lefty organisation (RAF excluded) to act on our behalf.

Remember we are all baby killers.

Chalky said:
Now, I lack the articulation gifted unto many of the people on ARRSE, but I felt that after today I had to at least try.
Oooh u tease... charisma is co-ercive u know.

In the words of that fine English philosopher Keeeegan, I luvved it.

oooh, just noted the spelling of 'accommodation!' in the MoD ticker above! Doh!

Nice letter. Just the right mix of indignation and information.
However, IMHO, it really does not matter who is elected. Just as this lot blame everything on 18 years of Tory misrule, any new party elected will blame Tone the Tourist. We are locked into many schemes that demand money. The public are likely to want - e.g. bigger and better hospitals rather than everyman in the Army to have a better armoured vest. Improvement of barracks and MQ will be set against bleeding heart stories of civilians who don't even have a roof over their heads. Punchy Prescott's plans to concrete over Southern England will prevail there.
"Doom and gloom is all I see" Yes. Sorry. I do not think that any political party that gets into power has much opportunity to make any radical changes. Even if they did, I do not see Cameron as the man to do it. Far too "nice". Little old ladies will lap him up.

A very good letter and content spot on!!
I did not realise that Mr. Cameron had invited us to call him 'Dave' - if so, big mistake! I don't want a Prime Minister to pretend to be just like all of us, anymore than most soldiers don't want to be 'ally-pally' with their COs or RSMs - we know that does NOT work.

bt80

Old-Salt
Chalky, cracking letter. :judge:

For what it's worth I was impressed by DC when he visited us in theatre, the only Liarbour politico who had ever impressed me was Jack Straw (look what happened to him) - the rest were cnuts.

While naturally sceptical of most politicians DC came across as a sincere, honest bloke and I think the soldiers responded to him. He was certainly making the right noises when he left. Let us see if he can follow it up with action.

bt80

A good letter Chalky - I doubt if DC actually has a policy to do anyhting about it, as that would cost money, and GB has ring fenced every penny we have for important things like 3rd World debt, New buildings for MPs, Family Credits, Chav grants etc.