Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Labour government, six months after general election victory, who is at the top?

offog

LE
Labour's political equivalent of the Battle of the Somme .
All that hope , all that effort , all the hard campaigning .
And they couldn't even take Swindon .

I wish I knew how to do one of those Downfall videos .

PS How much of a part did the crackdown on fraud in certain wards affect the Labour vote ?

Listening to a guy from the electoral reform society this morning, no effect whatever as there is no evidence of any fraud in Swindon. But if you are going to run a trial having a wide selection of areas including areas that have no history of fraud and those that do would seem to be a good way of seeing how effective it was. Lots of winning about not having the right ID or forgetting to bring it and being refused a vote.

Listening to a guy from the electoral reform society this morning, no effect whatever as there is no evidence of any fraud in Swindon. But if you are going to run a trial having a wide selection of areas including areas that have no history of fraud and those that do would seem to be a good way of seeing how effective it was. Lots of winning about not having the right ID or forgetting to bring it and being refused a vote.
I meant nationwide , not just Swindon .
I'm nowhere near Swindon , but politically it's the bell weather , the promised land , Shangri La .
I don't even like Swindon .
Well , the GWR Museum is nice .

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My suspicion is that he would accept and would say it was on the grounds he opposed the HoL but would enter so he could reform it from within.

Pretty sure this was one of the excuses given in Yes Prime Minister. Textbook stuff.

or forgetting to bring it and being refused a vote.

Except that's not the case either despite Labour ( Momentums) assertions.

There is nothing stopping the person from going home to collect said ID and returning to cast their vote.

If it stopped you voting its because A) you didn't have ID (so fraudulently voting) B) couldn't actually be arsed to return with the correct paperwork or C) Wanted to be refused a vote so you could prove how racist / anti young/ anti old/ anti Islamic / anti disabled etc the Tories are by complaining on social media

offog

LE
As a lot of work had gone into making sure they knew what type of ID was needed A. was probably a very low number. I think B was the most likely and I had not considered C.

I will be interesting to find out actually how many did not vote or were turned away as opposed to the Grenfell use of maths element of hundreds. Turn out will be an interesting number too.

Slime

LE
Except that's not the case either despite Labour ( Momentums) assertions.

There is nothing stopping the person from going home to collect said ID and returning to cast their vote.

If it stopped you voting its because A) you didn't have ID (so fraudulently voting) B) couldn't actually be arsed to return with the correct paperwork or C) Wanted to be refused a vote so you could prove how racist / anti young/ anti old/ anti Islamic / anti disabled etc the Tories are by complaining on social media

I'll await David Lammy's claim that black/brown babies were thrown out of polling station windows!!

He thought it was a good idea to say that about Grenfell and got away with it so may try it again to show how racist and nasty the tories are :)

offog

LE
Have been looking at the results and although Swindon has published its results no breakdown. Woking still to declare but Gosport has a good breakdown.

Gosport Borough Council has said 44 people were unable to vote yesterday because they did not bring the necessary ID.

The borough was one of five areas trialling a system to help stop electoral fraud.

Residents were required to show photo ID such as a passport or driving licence, or two non-photo items such as a council tax bill and bank statement.

The borough said 20,612 people voted, including 72 people who returned with ID after initially being turned away at polling stations.

Returning Officer Michael Lawther said: "We ran a very extensive publicity campaign to tell people they needed to bring ID, and what types of ID were acceptable."

So 116 turned up without ID out of 20k and could not vote, but 72 of those 116 came back latter because they thought it important to vote. It would be nice to see why the 44 didn't return.

The others are yet to declare.

Im betting on crying on face book about how the evil fasist* tories denied them their basic uman rights innit

*intentional
You mean like this gem? From an LBC FB page.
20180504_175800.png

ugly

LE
My mate lives in Plymouth, he rang me today, I told him I don't talk to communists. It was his wife, she laughed!

Latest Threads