Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Labour government, six months after general election victory, who is at the top?

Six months in an Corbyn would still be in power, but there would be

1. Chaos at the Home Office - Diane Abbott's banning of Stop Search and requirement that BME officers fill 80% of police training posts have led to the resignation of 38 of the 43 Chief Constables. Forces where the BME population is low are not exempt and as such have cancelled all training, leading to a sharp fall in officer numbers. Crime is rising and what is left of the Army [see below] has been called in after riots broke out in Bristol after a power cut.

2. Chaos at the Treasury - the Land Value system that has replaced Council Tax has led to a three bedroom house in north London having a bill of £10,000 and a terrace in certain parts of fashionable Cheshire a £4000 bill [figures published this week]. As such house prices have crashed, arrears and bankruptcies have meant council incomes have plummeted and central government is bailing out. At the same time bailing out is what the City is doing after swinging taxes are levied on financial institutions to pay for the enormous increase in spending on the NHS. The EU has waived the new trade tariffs to encourage banks to relocate to Frankfurt and Rotterdam.

3. Chaos at Defence. Trident has been scrapped and policy is that the Armed Forces will be limited to a costal and domestic territorial protection role. The Falklands have been handed to Argentina and Gibraltar to the Spanish after threats of armed action have been made. CDS, CGS, CAS and 1st Sea Lord posts are all vacant as all potential officers have resigned or refused the appointment. NATO is considering expelling UK as it refuses to commit funds or personnel to operations or training. On receiving his orders to return to port the Captain of the on-patrol SSBN has sailed it to the US where the crew are now claiming political asylum.

4. Chaos at the Foreign Office. Due to Corbyn aligning himself with Iran, Palestine and Russia, the US has formally ended the Special Relationship and President Trump [elected for a landslide second term] refers to UK as 'a hostile former ally'.

5. Domestically. Unemployment is soaring. Interest rates are at 5% and rising at .5 of a percentage point [note correct nomenclature] per month. The Governor of the BoE has predicted that the UK will be bankrupt in 6 month. inflation is also increasing rapidly and there have been disturbances caused by basic food shortages. The arbitrary closure of all nuclear power stations has meant a rolling programme of power cuts and the power workers' unions have issued a 20% pay claim, predicting a return to the 3 Day Week of the Heath era.

6. Scotland has issued a Unilateral Declaration of Independence (so there is some good to come of it after all).

Do you want me to go on?

Turn that into a book and I'd buy it.

D

Deleted 24582

Wot, just like Iraq?

Nope, we would be doing this on the fast timeline The longer it takes us to pack up and go home the more Bud Light you will have to suffer and swill. If you take to long you will be forced to watch us build Long John Silvers all up and down your island and you will eat butchered fish and chips. If you continue to delay, then we will teach your children how to play “American” Football and turn it into your new national sport....

NSP

LE
I've had a flashback to Whoops Apocalypse.

The Soviets have a new ally in British Prime Minister Kevin Pork (Peter Jones), a parody of left-wing Labour politicians Michael Foot and Peter Shore. Pork, who has gone insane and believes himself to be Superman, heads an especially left-wing government (a parody of Foot's Labour Party). The British Foreign Secretary is blackmailed by the Soviets to join the Warsaw Pact. This situation so unnerves the foreign secretary (Geoffrey Palmer, in a role based on David Owen) and the Chancellor of the Exchequer (Richard Davies) that they also lose their sanity, don Green Lantern and Hawkman costumes, and are locked up in a padded cell at 10 Downing St.
And where does Lacrobat feature in all this...?

Six months in an Corbyn would still be in power, but there would be

1. Chaos at the Home Office - Diane Abbott's banning of Stop Search and requirement that BME officers fill 80% of police training posts have led to the resignation of 38 of the 43 Chief Constables. Forces where the BME population is low are not exempt and as such have cancelled all training, leading to a sharp fall in officer numbers. Crime is rising and what is left of the Army [see below] has been called in after riots broke out in Bristol after a power cut.

2. Chaos at the Treasury - the Land Value system that has replaced Council Tax has led to a three bedroom house in north London having a bill of £10,000 and a terrace in certain parts of fashionable Cheshire a £4000 bill [figures published this week]. As such house prices have crashed, arrears and bankruptcies have meant council incomes have plummeted and central government is bailing out. At the same time bailing out is what the City is doing after swinging taxes are levied on financial institutions to pay for the enormous increase in spending on the NHS. The EU has waived the new trade tariffs to encourage banks to relocate to Frankfurt and Rotterdam.

3. Chaos at Defence. Trident has been scrapped and policy is that the Armed Forces will be limited to a costal and domestic territorial protection role. The Falklands have been handed to Argentina and Gibraltar to the Spanish after threats of armed action have been made. CDS, CGS, CAS and 1st Sea Lord posts are all vacant as all potential officers have resigned or refused the appointment. NATO is considering expelling UK as it refuses to commit funds or personnel to operations or training. On receiving his orders to return to port the Captain of the on-patrol SSBN has sailed it to the US where the crew are now claiming political asylum.

4. Chaos at the Foreign Office. Due to Corbyn aligning himself with Iran, Palestine and Russia, the US has formally ended the Special Relationship and President Trump [elected for a landslide second term] refers to UK as 'a hostile former ally'.

5. Domestically. Unemployment is soaring. Interest rates are at 5% and rising at .5 of a percentage point [note correct nomenclature] per month. The Governor of the BoE has predicted that the UK will be bankrupt in 6 month. inflation is also increasing rapidly and there have been disturbances caused by basic food shortages. The arbitrary closure of all nuclear power stations has meant a rolling programme of power cuts and the power workers' unions have issued a 20% pay claim, predicting a return to the 3 Day Week of the Heath era.

6. Scotland has issued a Unilateral Declaration of Independence (so there is some good to come of it after all).

Do you want me to go on?

7. A coup d'état is narrowly prevented when Corbyn raises military pensions by 150% and makes Wetherspoons free to all veterans . The game is over when an extreme fascist splinter group called ARRSE sack it , and go to the pub instead . @Bravo_Bravo gallantly offers to buy the first round , knowing it's free anyway , as he's Corbyn's new Chief secretary to the Treasury . At his side , the Defence Minister in waiting , @DaManBugs is busily distributing emergency crisps and in extreme cases , even pickled eggs .
8. An attractive , buxom blonde in her early 30's walks in the bar , and after the ensuing cry of " I would ! " , the entire ARRSE contingent of over 300 men and several women are arrested for sexism and breach of the Me Too Act .

RZer0

LE
Nope, we would be doing this on the fast timeline The longer it takes us to pack up and go home the more Bud Light you will have to suffer and swill. If you take to long you will be forced to watch us build Long John Silvers all up and down your island and you will eat butchered fish and chips. If you continue to delay, then we will teach your children how to play “American” Football and turn it into your new national sport....
I don't mind Bud light but I do have concerns about NFL and the head trauma cover up. Could we have baseball rather than Football?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I don't mind Bud light but I do have concerns about NFL and the head trauma cover up. Could we have baseball rather than Football?
You'd rather have rounders than a girly version of Rugby? Takes all kinds I suppose.

D

Deleted 24582

Baseball is not really a sport, it is more or less a never ending event that starts in April and ends in October....

bcsack

Old-Salt
Baseball is not really a sport, it is more or less a never ending event that starts in April and ends in October....
Ljonesy old son - I fear the NFL is going to loose in the battle with soccer - I got back to the UK yesterday after a couple of weeks in FL - and was amazed at the amount of soccer being played. Pitches all over the place and
after school & Sunday's it's soccer all the way - seems the whole State is playing soccer.
Oh BTW if your lot come over to liberate us can you put me down for a green card & a concealed carry permit.

D

Deleted 24582

Ljonesy old son - I fear the NFL is going to loose in the battle with soccer - I got back to the UK yesterday after a couple of weeks in FL - and was amazed at the amount of soccer being played. Pitches all over the place and
after school & Sunday's it's soccer all the way - seems the whole State is playing soccer.
Oh BTW if your lot come over to liberate us can you put me down for a green card & a concealed carry permit.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I love soccer as a sport. I played it from elementary all the way through high school, it was a great way to stay in shape for Football and it is a fun game that is popular as ****. However watching it on TV kinda sucks, that is where Football wins out.

I am sure we will be accepting applications, granted over here you don’t even need a permit to legally carry in state anymore.

ugly

LE
If Jeremy Corbyn had the opportuniy to fight and win a general election he would obviously become PM,
Not necessarily so, in 1945 there was an attempt at a coup amongst the leadership of the newly victorious Labour Party. Harold Lasky led a challenge from the Party against the Parliamentary party. It was betted off thankfully but there is almost nothing to stop it happening again, apart from the Brown Shirts in Momentum. Perhaps we will see a night of the long knives amongst Labour?

Oh don’t get me wrong, I love soccer as a sport. I played it from elementary all the way through high school, it was a great way to stay in shape for Football and it is a fun game that is popular as ****. However watching it on TV kinda sucks, that is where Football wins out.

I am sure we will be accepting applications, granted over here you don’t even need a permit to legally carry in state anymore.

You seem to be confused. "Soccer" and "Football" are the same game. Perhaps you mean "American Football", a quaint game.

ugly

LE
so will have no memory of just how popular Blair was at the time for most of his time in government.
Something that passed me by, I saw through his conservatism, an opportunist willing to do anything to stay in office!

Something that passed me by, I saw through his conservatism, an opportunist willing to do anything to stay in office!

In a nutshell yes.

Labour was tainted for many years by the industrial upheaval that was commonplace in the seventies. The Conservatives made sure that nobody would forget those troubled times. The Conservative's though prior to 1997 had their own problems. They were rocked by several political scandals and after 18 years in government, they were pretty much past their sell by date.

Blair had moved the Labour Party very much to the centre ground politically and policy wise. He was an advocate of policy needs to be something to get us elected rather than something we like and think others should look at it and elect us to implement it. He even said that for a period of time, he would stick to Conservative spending limits if he came to power.

On top of his views on policy formulation, take into account that he was also seen as a fresh face with lot's of vigour who would bring much needed change for the better to Britain, he was looking good. Remember the song by D:Ream "Things Can Only Get Better." That song epitomised Labours message to the country.

Blair had also done his groundwork not just with the general public but with the other institutions that mattered. The press weren't as usually hostile to Labour as they commonly were in previous elections and he had courted industry assuring them that Labour wouldn't return to the old days of beer and sandwiches at No10 with the trade unions and leaving industry management etc out in the cold.

His efforts in conjunction with the negative image of the Conservatives paid off with a huge swing to the Labour Party and the rest is history.

Slime

LE

Forgetting whether you or I liked him, he got elected for three terms as PM and was Labours longest serving PM. Thats not something easily missed.

His New Labour ideology was clearly popular with a lot of people.
I can't see the appeal of Corbyn but can clearly see he has a growing following who hang on his every word.

Latest Threads