Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

A Labour government, six months after general election victory, who is at the top?

Slime

LE
If Jeremy Corbyn had the opportuniy to fight and win a general election he would obviously become PM, but would he still be in charge six months later and who would be in or out of the cabinet?
The question assumes that Labour were still in government and that no further general election had taken place.

My own feelings are that he may still be leader, but I have a suspicion that someone else would very likely challenge him or remove him from the top job.
John McDonnell could well become leader after a hostile take over and may want to get rid of some of Corbyns closest lackies while maintaining a good percentage of hard left politicians. Maybe Abbott would be kicked out of the cabinet!
Would Sinn Fein MPs decide to eventually take their Westminster seats, and would they be just 'friends' with Labour or part of a coalition. Could Jerry Adams be minister for NI?

If Corbyn was evicted from the top spot and later offered a life peerage would he accept it. My suspicion is that he would accept and would say it was on the grounds he opposed the HoL but would enter so he could reform it from within.

Obviously all ideas are no more than guesses, but I'm just curious as to other peoples thoughts.

Scary how close such a scenario could be. DA as Home Secretary? Read Frederick Forsythe's The Fourth Protocol and the only thing missing are suitcase nukes!

I've had a flashback to Whoops Apocalypse.

The Soviets have a new ally in British Prime Minister Kevin Pork (Peter Jones), a parody of left-wing Labour politicians Michael Foot and Peter Shore. Pork, who has gone insane and believes himself to be Superman, heads an especially left-wing government (a parody of Foot's Labour Party). The British Foreign Secretary is blackmailed by the Soviets to join the Warsaw Pact. This situation so unnerves the foreign secretary (Geoffrey Palmer, in a role based on David Owen) and the Chancellor of the Exchequer (Richard Davies) that they also lose their sanity, don Green Lantern and Hawkman costumes, and are locked up in a padded cell at 10 Downing St.

There are scenarios where Corbyn could be faced with fighting a GE, but actually winning it is very far from a sure thing IMO.

Corbyn would face enormous problems if he became PM. People would expect him to enact his policies and he can't. He's promised money that doesn't exist and lacks the support of his own backbenchers to get votes through Parliament.

I doubt there'd be time to replace him. It would end in a vote of no confidence and another election.

Corbyn would face enormous problems if he became PM. People would expect him to enact his policies and he can't. He's promised money that doesn't exist and lacks the support of his own backbenchers to get votes through Parliament.

I doubt there'd be time to replace him. It would end in a vote of no confidence and another election.
Not another one?!?

1. Theresa May;
2. There Is No Magic Money Tree;
3. Ah, the DUP...

If Jeremy Corbyn had the opportuniy to fight and win a general election he would obviously become PM, but would he still be in charge six months later I would imagine so. Especially if it was by a landslide and who would be in or out of the cabinet? Impossible to speculate upon imho.
The question assumes that Labour were still in government and that no further general election had taken place. Obviously...

My own feelings are that he may still be leader, but I have a suspicion that someone else would very likely challenge him or remove him from the top job.
John McDonnell could well become leader after a hostile take over JM and Seamus Milne are the real power behind the PLP throne now. So I really can't see them wanting to challenge their stooge Corbyn. Otherwise, JM would have run against JC in the labour leadership challenge. The fact that he didn't suggests that he fully supports JC, and wants to remain as a major player behind closed doors. Besides, as he would be the Chancellor it would be him and Milne who would control the purse strings. JC would be merely an expendable puppet if it was needed. and may want to get rid of some of Corbyns closest lackies I can't imagine that JC would appoint anyone to 'his' front brench without say so. while maintaining a good percentage of hard left politicians. Maybe Abbott would be kicked out of the cabinet! Labour must know already that she is an embarrassment to them? I suspect that she has a lot of dirt on people. However, who's to say whether 'illness' may not force her out.
Would Sinn Fein MPs decide to eventually take their Westminster seats, I doubt it. and would they be just 'friends' with Labour or part of a coalition. Could Jerry Adams be minister for NI? I'd imagine that he'd be retired by then. After all, he seems to be taking a back seat these days in favour of that fat bird.

If Corbyn was evicted from the top spot and later offered a life peerage would he accept it. No reason why not. My suspicion is that he would accept and would say it was on the grounds he opposed the HoL but would enter so he could reform it from within.

Obviously all ideas are no more than guesses, but I'm just curious as to other peoples thoughts.
Here you go.

1. Theresa May;
2. There Is No Magic Money Tree;
3. Ah, the DUP...
In fairness, she found a billion quid down the back of the sofa to spend on Norn Iron. If Jezza's money tree only needed to produce a billion quid he could do it too. Unfortunately, it's a few hundred billion more than that he needs to shake down from the branches.

In fairness, she found a billion quid down the back of the sofa to spend on Norn Iron. If Jezza's money tree only needed to produce a billion quid he could do it too. Unfortunately, it's a few hundred billion more than that he needs to shake down from the branches.
No. He will merely shake down all of these multi-millionaires, bankers, and multi-nationals. Unless of course, these people skedaddle for pastures new. In which case, it'll be anyone with a job who has to pay for his madness.

No, she found £1bn to buy the DUP votes so she could remain in power.

And QE will take care of any spending plans. That plus actually taxing the mega Corporates properly.

an139959435file-photo-dated.jpg

As has been said, six months is long enough to crash the economy, open the borders and disband the police. We'd be cooking Russian food aid over open fires secure in the knowledge that when the aid runs out, cannibalism would be the only option.

The EU would send poncy, European troops in to "restore order" and undo Brexit. Many of the troops would wear feathers in their hats and they'd be allowed to go on strike if something upset them. We'd still be militarily stuffed with only a steward who doesn't know what a grease trap is and a leading aircraftman with more convictions than the Kray twins combined left to defend the country.