a la recherche du temps perdu

TheManFromWem

Old-Salt
A "Brylcream Boy" Remembers (not in any articular order)

RAF BINBROOK ……. Part the First

5 and 11 Squadron (Lighning throttle-jockeys) were there as well as 85, with its Meteors and Canberras........( one of the buggers broke loose of its towing shackle while being taken back to the hanger, and merrily sailed off through the perimeter fence, heading downhill straight for "Smoky Joe's" Cafe , half way up Binbrook hill....................

Best other bit I saw, when looking out of Local Air Traffic Control (LATC) window, was a MRD ( mobile runway de-icer ).........(.jet engines on a bowser,).... cranking the thrust up and immediately ripping a load of tarmac and concrete off the peri-track......Oh, how we laughed....

I think the Driver had a month or two of fire piquet duty..............

Notorious for Lincolnshire Fog because of its height above sea-level ( overlooking the North Sea ), I was slowly feeling my way back home in the village, when I encountered something rather wet and sticky...

I had my hand on a cow's nose...........

Silly animal was standing in its field and overlooking the fence by the road downhill....I’m not sure who was more surprised, the cow or me..

Needless to say the rest of the fog-bound trip to get home was taken at rather a fast pace................

The wife nearly wet herself when I told her.................

Happy days in the 1960's..........H6 UKVET

More later……………..(apols for typo's.what do you expect at my age, Blood ??)

TheManFromWem

Old-Salt
A "Brylcream Boy" Remembers
RAF BINBROOK ……. Part the Next...
In Sickness and in Health
For some strange reason unbeknown to me, I was feeling a little off-colour, and had to Turn up at the Medical Centre in working dress (no. 2 dress), along with a packed small-pack, consisting of all manner of toiletries and RAF pyjamas ( the horrible blue and white ones ), and for some other reason, a pair of plimsolls……….( do you remember rubber – heeled plimsolls )…..and a White PT shirt and blue PT shorts….
I Thought, what are they trying to do ?, cure me or kill me…………..
I was duly seen by the duty M.O. and despatched back home with a 48-hour, (stay in bed and come back later) pass…….
By the time I had agonisingly crawled back to the flat in Binbrook village.( we were living there because I had not accumulated enough points to qualify for a Married Quarter on camp ), I was feeling a little less than coherent.
The wife ( Gloria ) duly undid the sofa-bed ( you know a folding bed that looks like a sofa when you’re not in it ), and I thankfully crawled under the freshly laid bedding to rest ( or so I thought )…..
The M.O. had given me some “cure-all” tablets and a bottle of something that smelt rather strange, so after having a few pills and potions, I duly nodded off…………
I awoke sometime after with the feeling of being in a hamburger press……….
I my medicated state I had, apparently, tried to go to the loo, but while trying to do so had inadvertantly activated the folding bed’s “ folding” mechanism….
Wife rushes in , responding to my cries of bewilderment, and extricates me from said bed, then somehow manages to get medical assistance…………
(Binbrook Manor , where we lived, was owned by a retired Brigadier, who rented out rooms to professionals, and other people of dubious repute, like myself.
However, luckily, one of the ground floor rooms was rented by the local Village Doctor who came to our assistance and made sure I was shoved in the back of an RAF Ambulance and buggered off back to camp Sick Quarters……
The M.O. diagnosed a nasty case of shingles, and I was duly assigned a Ward (Infectious ).which just happened to be a WRAF ward, which happened to be empty of female people of that gender……..
The next few days were spent sleeping , trying to go to the loo unaided, and generally feeling sorry for myself…..
Gloria ( the ever present wife-angel ) was not allowed to visit….The only chap I saw was Wally Barnes, who worked with me ………
Wally was a great football fanatic, and hearing of my plight, had bought me a load of reading matter.
Football magazines from his extensive collection ……..
Wally was duly thanked and he departed with my promise to return his treasured collection………….
Two or three weeks later I was discharged as fit, and duly bundled back into a RAF Blood Wagon to take me home……
After having a 48 hour pass to recuperate I was back on duty…………
Wally asked how I was and could I return his magazines…….
“No problem”, I replied and set of for SSQ ( Station sick Quarters )……..
The Flight Sergeant who had looked after me during my incarceration was pleased to see me, but Informed me all my bedding, sheets, pillows etc. had to have been boiled and sterilized and another bits I had were burned……..
Realisation dawned that Wally’s prized “ footie “ magazines were now cinders………
Such is life…………..
More later………….

Attachments

• 00 groupie and swo.jpg
    00 groupie and swo.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 58
  • bin1.jpg
    bin1.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 59
  • bin2.jpg
    bin2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 54
  • bin3.jpg
    bin3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 58
All quite interesting, dear boy.
I will look forward to the next chapter.
Involving Chieftain .

Last edited:

TheManFromWem

Old-Salt
All quite interesting, dear boy.
I will look forward to the next chapter.
Involving Cheiftain .
twill be my pleasure, as time and memory permits........thank you for the comment.........73, Howard.

A "Brylcream Boy" Remembers (not in any articular order)

RAF BINBROOK ……. Part the First

5 and 11 Squadron (Lighning throttle-jockeys) were there as well as 85, with its Meteors and Canberras........( one of the buggers broke loose of its towing shackle while being taken back to the hanger, and merrily sailed off through the perimeter fence, heading downhill straight for "Smoky Joe's" Cafe , half way up Binbrook hill....................

Best other bit I saw, when looking out of Local Air Traffic Control (LATC) window, was a MRD ( mobile runway de-icer ).........(.jet engines on a bowser,).... cranking the thrust up and immediately ripping a load of tarmac and concrete off the peri-track......Oh, how we laughed....

I think the Driver had a month or two of fire piquet duty..............

Notorious for Lincolnshire Fog because of its height above sea-level ( overlooking the North Sea ), I was slowly feeling my way back home in the village, when I encountered something rather wet and sticky...

I had my hand on a cow's nose...........

Silly animal was standing in its field and overlooking the fence by the road downhill....I’m not sure who was more surprised, the cow or me..

Needless to say the rest of the fog-bound trip to get home was taken at rather a fast pace................

The wife nearly wet herself when I told her.................

Happy days in the 1960's..........H6 UKVET

More later……………..(apols for typo's.what do you expect at my age, Blood ??)
When we moved up to Lincolnshire we took five horses with us. On the first night our jet black New Forest managed to get out. Three lads walking back after a night at the pub were confronted by a snorting black apparition in the road. Returning him to the field they went on their way for an underwear change.

TheManFromWem

Old-Salt
When we moved up to Lincolnshire we took five horses with us. On the first night our jet black New Forest managed to get out. Three lads walking back after a night at the pub were confronted by a snorting black apparition in the road. Returning him to the field they went on their way for an underwear change.
one can be really charismatic, like me, until something really spooks you.thanks for the comment.a prosperous 2021 sir, Howard.

TheManFromWem

Old-Salt
RAF Gan
.Fun in the Sun.................
Was anyone else there...??
."Moonies " or others...coming soon.................
(Including Reflections on the peril of Oggin Troggin'..).....

Latest Threads