A jack of all trades?

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by FAILED_BOOTNECK, Mar 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another question regarding service with the RE. I was wondering if it's possible to learn more than one trade whilst with the RE? Also, with regard to min service after signing on the dotted line does that time have to be spent with your chosen corps or is it possible to do a couple years with one corps before transfering to another?

2. Do you know the answer to these questions before you ask them and are just posting for postings sake? Thought you were dead set on being an airborne draughtsman anyway?

3. I re-read some of your own posts if I were you, before commenting on other peoples.

4. you can have varied trades within the corps, but not two artisan unless you bring one in from civvie street, (i think thats correct anyway)

you can be an artisan, possibly be c3s(sigs) or res spec(stores management) & if you are lucky enough you can pick up your driving licences as well so theres anorther route.

a lot depends on luck as per the norm i'm afraid fella.

laters.

5. How am i supposed to know what a member of the RE is or isn't allowed to do numnuts? As for being set on airbourne engineers I want to get a trade and i would like to earn my wings at some point in my career but im not looking for a 22 year career with airbourne forces. i want to ge as many different skills and experiences from the army as i can. happy monkey man? :roll:

6. I have only ever posted questions through genuine curiosity, admittedly I have posted one topic in more than one area when I first started off here and the odd bone comment (like everyone else) but quickly learned to do otherwise. If it is a genuine question then that's fair enough, ultimately that is what arrse is here for!

I have read in his previous posts that he was dead set on being a draughtsman within the RE, and afterward attending all arms P coy. It just confuses me when he has such ambition to suddenly question his choices, his opinion and trade choice should be his to make.

From what I have read in the RE forum the role of the draughtsman isn't that diverse, if that is the case his question seems to lack validility. Surely this should be a case of if he wants to be a draughtsman, and if he doesn't, then what trade really does appeal to him? Not aiming to do as many as possible and be a 'jack of all trades.'

out

7. "I have only ever posted questions through genuine curiosity, admittedly I have posted one topic in more than one area when I first started off here and the odd bone comment (like everyone else) but quickly learned to do otherwise. If it is a genuine question then that's fair enough, ultimately that is what arrse is here for!"

If im joining the RE for what other reason would i b posting a question if not for curiosity of my future job? And as for bone questions they are what make conversations in forums most interesting. Its like lighting a fuse and standing back to watch the fireworks!

"I have read in his previous posts that he was dead set on being a draughtsman within the RE, and afterward attending all arms P coy. It just confuses me when he has such ambition to suddenly question his choices, his opinion and trade choice should be his to make."

If you maybe looked a little closer to previous posts i was actually torn between a career with the RE and the RMP, not to mention the many other jobs i have took an interest in. after some of the comments youve been making it seems i made the right choice not to join the rmp, if your anything to go buy.

"From what I have read in the RE forum the role of the draughtsman isn't that diverse, if that is the case his question seems to lack validility. Surely this should be a case of if he wants to be a draughtsman, and if he doesn't, then what trade really does appeal to him? Not aiming to do as many as possible and be a 'jack of all trades.'"

and whats wrong with wanting to get as much from the army as i can? maybe after your illustrious career in the rmp when all the work you can find is as a security guard at tesco you'll realise why i wanted to get as many trades as i could.

8. I've obviously offended you with my posts, that wasn't my intention.

I must have mis-interpreted your comments and your mindset, I can't question you using arrse as a tool for research, that's what it is, and I have done likewise.

What I was getting at is that a lot of people post for posts sake, I was only wondering if you were doing the same. From the tone of your last post I guess you resent that insinuation (spelling iffy), never mind.

Good luck whatever you decide mate

9. seriously FB stay out of my beloved corps you don't really want to join you are just bored go join the TA or something you don't seem have a clue about what it takes to be a sapper so please don't bother, or look at it this way you have manage to p1ss enough ex engrs off so why would you want to be surrounded by people you p1ss off??

10. Speaking of TA, might not be such a bad idea to look into this. That way you might be able to get an idea of what the job(s) involve(s). Appreciate you may be looking at going Regular quite soon though.

11. Well said that man!!!