A Hols for heroes donation for some information

Can anyone shed any light on what uniform this bloke (the tall chap not the kid in the navy outfit) is wearing? Or any information concerning his service. I will provide a small donation to hols for heroes if you are any good.
Davis 1.jpg
Davis 2.jpg

His name was William Davis, he was born in 1874 and was from Wales, although later lived in Romford Essex and then emigrated to Canada.

I'm thinking Rhyl city council?

Have a word with yourself, the Welsh couldn't afford a uniform unless they joined the British Military.

Come on you spotters, someone must know what rig he is in.

Looks like Lancashire Fusiliers to me, judging from the button spacing. That would tie in the scrolled castles on the collar dogs and the epaulette-worn rank.

The Salamanca Eagle, captured from the 62 Line, by Lt Pearce of the 44th (East Essex).

I thought I could see the 3 scimitars (?), too.

They are supposed to be the "seax" knives that the Saxons were named for. But they do, indeed, look like scimitars. Except for that exaggerated notch at the back of the blade that neither normal (i.e. non-heraldic) scimitars nor actual seax have.

But, then ... Look at heraldic dolphins!
26800.jpg

Any clues to what rank he was? (I know the photo is fuzzier than the snails mind)

But the arms are supposed to be those of "ancient" Essex. Middlesex is similar but with a crown within the shield.

Any clues to what rank he was?

Looks like a pair of stripes. Could be anything from Corporal to, well, ... But as he's inf and reasonably modern, I'd guess Corporal. Dunno what the stuff (knotwork?) is above the rank, though.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
So far, I am looking at Line Infantry (7 buttons) and in the ranks, (jam pot cuffs and round collar) wearing a 2nd best frock coat (loose fitting for walking out) with possibly the Queens General Service buttons, dating around 1897 ish (assuming that they are his children.)

I would have to go for 1 or 2 Essex. The collar dogs were known as 'sea axes.'

The picture below is a chap of the Essex Regiment from a slightly later period, and apart from the piping, the uniform looks the same. He is wearing the South Africa Medal which I believe was struck in 1902. Note the similar grouping on the epaulette next to what appear to be officer pips on Stackers original pics. (Those pips and the jam jar cuffs are confusing)

Anyway. It's got to be a start.

10yq2va.jpg

Photo source

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I agree that stacker's photo is earlier, going by the wife's dress, which is trendily Edwardian above rather than dour late Victoriana.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
@stacker1 get your purse out.

After some research:

Your Mr Davis was a private soldier in one of the Volunteer Battalions of the Essex Brigade although it is impossible to say which one of the 4 he was in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_Brigade

He is in full dress tunic that was produced between 1881 and 1902. The Jam pot cuffs do indeed show that he was not an officer, and the markings on his epaulettes therefore denote he was a Victorian STAB.

Here is an example of a West Yorks volunteer.

1vwestyork01.jpg

pic courtesy of Frogsmile

On your picture: If you look really closely at the top of his cuff on his left sleeve you can just about see a splash of white braid, this also denoted that he was a Volunteer and was known as an 'Austrian Knot'.

He would, as you would expect, have attend a drill night at the local drill hall once a week (probably Romford) and would have been paid for his attendance. There was also an annual camp for which he would have received his cash 'bounty'. Rumour has it that the men would give this bounty to their wives to 'keep them sweet' whilst they gallivanted around in her Majesties uniform!

edited to add: In 1894, the ‘1st Volunteer Battalion Essex Regiment (A & B Companies); Drill hall, was at Laurie Square. Armoury North Street.’ The drill hall of corrugated iron was erected in 1885 in Laurie square, by Major Henry Holmes, at a cost of £300.

There were detachments from the volunteer Bn's that accompanied their regular counterparts to South Africa to fight in the (2nd) Anglo/Boer War (1899-1902) So he may have seen active service. Do you know when he 'naffed off to Canada?

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
@stacker1 get your purse out.

After some research:

Your Mr Davis was a private soldier in one of the Volunteer Battalions of the Essex Brigade although it is impossible to say which one of the 4 he was in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_Brigade

He is in full dress tunic that was produced between 1881 and 1902. The Jam pot cuffs do indeed show that he was not an officer, and the markings on his epaulettes therefore denote he was a Victorian STAB.

Here is an example of a West Yorks volunteer.

View attachment 188873
pic courtesy of Frogsmile

On your picture: If you look really closely at the top of his cuff on his left sleeve you can just about see a splash of white braid, this also denoted that he was a Volunteer and was known as an 'Austrian Knot'.

He would, as you would expect, have attend a drill night at the local drill hall once a week (probably Romford) and would have been paid for his attendance. There was also an annual camp for which he would have received his cash 'bounty'. Rumour has it that the men would give this bounty to their wives to 'keep them sweet' whilst they gallivanted around in her Majesties uniform!

edited to add: In 1894, the ‘1st Volunteer Battalion Essex Regiment (A & B Companies); Drill hall, was at Laurie Square. Armoury North Street.’ The drill hall of corrugated iron was erected in 1885 in Laurie square, by Major Henry Holmes, at a cost of £300.

There were detachments from the volunteer Bn's that accompanied their regular counterparts to South Africa to fight in the (2nd) Anglo/Boer War (1899-1902) So he may have seen active service. Do you know when he 'naffed off to Canada?

I hope this helps.
20 notes (there maybe more if anyone else provides additional info) once @Porridge_gun gets of his fat arse and PMs me how to give him the cash.
Cheers Arte

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Last edited:

Latest Threads