A History of Pish

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by crabtastic, Dec 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4493442.stm

Bloody marvellous! :lol:

2. Churchill came out with some brilliant quotations!

Maybe Blair should have taken notice of this one:

"Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events."

P_M

3. ...and he should have known...

4. "Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash."
    Sir Winston Churchill, (attributed)

:lol:

But this has to be one of his best:

Lady Astor: "Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee."
    Winston: "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."

5. Bessie Braddock MP "Winston, you're drunk"

WSC "Bessie you are ugly but in the morning I will be sober..."

He was a true hero and the greatest Englishman or indeed English speaking man ever. Like a stogie, favoured brandy, was never shy of a fight and dearly loved his missus.

6. Used that one myself. The missus wasn't amused. I spent the night on the settee.

7. And, in his later years while seated comfortably he was advised that his flies were undone.

He merely responded that "Dead birds don't fall out of nests."

8. Alister "Letter from America", used to tell the tale, of when during the war, Winston met FDR and made plans for the future. They agreed that if either leader made a 'Strategic' speech both nations would brodcast it live.
    FDR rushed back to Washington from Newfoundland and Winne flew back across the Atlantic.
    FDR ordered his speech writers to knock out hs first address to the free world, then word came that Winne would speak NOW, he had hardly had time to reach London.
    Churchill delivered on of his great speaches and FDR asked how could he do that in such a short time, for he could not have sent such information by radio to UK speachwriters.
    Rolls his own, was the answer FDR got.
    Winne had knocked out the speach on the flight back. He did not need anyone to formulate his thoughts.
    john