A higher IQ that anticipated

Check out the quaote at the end of the article.

WASHINGTON, Feb. 2 - For the first time in nearly a decade, the Marine Corps in January missed its monthly recruiting goal, in what military officials said was the latest troubling indicator of the Iraq war's impact on the armed services.

The struggles of the Army, the Army Reserve and the Army National Guard to recruit and retain soldiers have received national attention in recent months. But the recent failure of the Marines, who historically have had the luxury of turning away willing recruits, is a potential problem for the service.

The Marines missed their January goal of 3,270 recruits by 84 people, or less than 3 percent. The Marines last missed a monthly goal in July 1995, and 1995 was also the last full year in which the corps fell short of its annual recruiting quota, said Maj. Dave Griesmer, a spokesman for the Marine Corps Recruiting Command.

Richard H. Kohn, a military historian at the University of North Carolina, said, "It's most troubling because the Marines tend to attract people who are the most macho, seek the most danger and are attracted by the service most likely to put them into combat."
Don't you just love Military Historians!? :twisted:

The best part of Farenheit 9/11 was the two marine recruiting chaps press-ganging young men in the shopping mall :lol: :lol: :lol:

Missing the monthly goal by 84 isn't too bad at all. It would be troubling if they had missed it by 500. Also recruiting is affected by the state of the economy. Our economy is picking up steam and there is more opportunity in the private sector. Of course we are at war and some people dont want to run the risk of death or injury as a result those that do volunteer do so for patriotic reasons.

It is an indication how things are going, plenty reports of increased signing on fees etc for the Army. I hope the econmy keep growing, I'll need a job to 2 years! As long the $ keep sliping against the £ i'll be happy and relatively rich man!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Corporal said:
First, Tomahawk6 is Army, poor chap.

Second, I'd go back in a heartbeat, but alas time has caught up with me.
Time and the Incest Police.

not just there but here too... royal is upping its payout to any marine who introduces another recruit into successful training from £250 to £1000 a head...it seems the war on terror has rattled the potential recruits who have changed their minds.

Well, at least those who do join up are going in with their eyes wide open - not likely to be many signing up for a settled & orderly life with minimal risk of actually having to engage in combat.
Those who join now will be the truly committed & more likely to make a career of the Marines.
Saves weeding out later.