A HAPPY VALLEY (Valley of Tears) (Not to be confused with a Police TV Series).

Would this little walk also be of interest ? I plan on walking it when conditions allow, possibly in a couple of visits.

Same thing. Shvil Leumi is the National Trail.

It's been on my list for years.

Same thing. Shvil Leumi is the National Trail.

It's been on my list for years.
Very good :) I thought it was Shvil Yisrael, oops. I had been doing short contracts a few years ago and was planning the walk, but then one of the employers offered me a permanent contract -- more money and less time, messed up the planning a bit.

Very good :) I thought it was Shvil Yisrael, oops. I had been doing short contracts a few years ago and was planning the walk, but then one of the employers offered me a permanent contract -- more money and less time, messed up the planning a bit.

I plan to do it in one go. Probably an autumn trip, timed to catch the cooler weather in the desert. Also less chance of snakes if I sleep rough along the way. A bit of rain in the North won't be a problem.

I plan to do it in one go. Probably an autumn trip, timed to catch the cooler weather in the desert. Also less chance of snakes if I sleep rough along the way. A bit of rain in the North won't be a problem.
I will be thinking of you and mentally cheering you on, while I am in the bars and whore houses of Tel Aviv and Haifa. Don't forget to send a postcard.

Here's one I took last year. Make love not war.

316469089.jpg

Last edited:
Did your lads cook up a full Jewish breakfast on the day of the Sabath? Same as a full English, but without the sausages, bacon and black pudding.

Make that "without the sausages, bacon, black pudding and cooking".

No cooking allowed on the Sabbath. The traditional solution is "Hamin" a slow cooked beef / onions / potatoes / white beans / boiled eggs hot pot, covered and inserted into a low heat oven just before the onset of the Sabbath on Friday evening.

The after effects of its consumption can tend to resemble a simulation of chemical warfare.

traditional-jewish-cholent-hamin-main-dish-for-the-shabbat-meal-slow-cooked-beef-with-potato-b...jpg

It's a good job the Like button is free...

It's a funny thing about the Middle East - and perhaps it's just my imagination - but there are moments around dawn and dusk, when the landscape, and everything in it, feels completely ancient. It's difficult to explain, but these pictures capture something of it.

3 views from Tel Hermonit, which directly ovelooks the Valley of Tears
15732055_10154302199210749_4496542382328268837_o.jpg
15776663_10154302197925749_1883880661920571320_o.jpg
17202785_10154493754505749_489690348649185887_n.jpg

Spring and Autumn are the prettiest seasons and summer is too damn hot but beware of flash floods.

Spring and Autumn are the prettiest seasons and summer is too damn hot but beware of flash floods.

There were a couple of those last time I was clambering around Petra. I wasn't in any personal danger, but it was certainly an interesting - and spectacular - day.

The Bedouin reaction to torrential rain certainly made me laugh...

There were a couple of those last time I was clambering around Petra. I wasn't in any personal danger, but it was certainly an interesting - and spectacular - day.

The Bedouin reaction to torrential rain certainly made me laugh...
someone on FB took this photo of the Arab village of Kfar Manda, in the Galilee yesterday.
It illustrates one of the nicer aspects of the Israeli winter - rain and clouds are always preceded/followed by sun and blue skies
260467279_6803574082994004_8980667671905996092_n.jpg

No cooking allowed on the Sabbath. The traditional solution is "Hamin" a slow cooked beef / onions / potatoes / white beans / boiled eggs hot pot, covered and inserted into a low heat oven just before the onset of the Sabbath on Friday evening.

The after effects of its consumption can tend to resemble a simulation of chemical warfare.

View attachment 619579
That's a cracking range stew!!!!

Does the IDF have an equivalent of range stew, we wonder?

Tinned Loof or Goulash with tinned peas / sweetcorn sort of thing? (Loof is IDF meatloaf)

One bizarre thing I do recall was a new officer we had in the reserves who liked IDF chocolate spread on a slice of bread and on that a slice of IDF Edam style cheese

View attachment 619579
Stick curry spices in that and that will be off the charts

The voiceover at the start said the IDF were equipped by the USA. Odd that I only saw British tanks (I can't vouch for the distant Syrian Sov tanks).

Question for the rivet counters. I have seen the inside of a Centurion and the ones in the film seemed very spacious. Was there a Vigil style bit of subterfuge there? It didn't bother me though as I imagine it is hard to get a film crew inside a tank.
This shows the camera etc were not actually inside the turret. It's a screenshot from this vid about the making of the series. This cut-open turret one is at the Tank Corps Museum at Latrun (as the other screenshot clearly shows)
בוא.png

ךשא.png

Last edited:

Latest Threads