A gun , your reaction ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by wheelchairwarrier, Feb 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Dinner guest ( a member of the Executive )and I are discussing the banning of imitation,airsoft and blank firing guns, for some one in the governmental process he has no idea of the impact of these weapons on the street, all attention at present is focused on the real deal.
    for the rest of the evening, I invite the views and comments from the educated, yes you lot .
    We are discussing "walts" as well and the facination with SF and PARA rgts and the blurring between their idea of sport/hobby and reality, I have shown examples to my guest.
    So should imitation,airsoft and blank firing guns be banned ?
    should Walts be put under more scrutiny and regulation of some sort?
    and as or when you were a serving officer your immediate reaction to having a "firearm " (include the 3 above cats) presented at you on or off duty in a threatening manner.

WW

2. Anyone waving a replica around as if it were a real weapon should be treated as if it was, i.e. shot if it seems prudent.

No, I don't think they should be banned, when do you stop? With kids toys?

Anyone can make something that looks like a gun, are you going to ban bits of wood and black paint too?

3. There is no need to ban these types of toy. Apply the laws that are already in place. Banning them will not stop criminals using them. Has the handgun banned stopped or slowed down crimes committed with illegal handguns, of course it hasn't, handgun crime has risen.

I know lets ban crime and make it illegal, that'll work............

4. Typical reaction - got a problem with something? Ban it.

Top idea isn't it! People who are committing crime are really going to worry about whether they are using a banned blank-firing pistol aren't they. What kind of logic is that then?

I think you lot should go back to thinking up other new and ingenious ways in persecuting the average bloke and making this country even more shit.

5. I remember my mother, who was a nursery school teacher (pre war) saying it's pointless banning small boys having toy guns as they would bite toast into the shape of a pistol...

IMHO controlling risk by banning stuff has two effects:

a. The risk increases as only the crims end up possessing the stuff.

b. Society loses the ability to handle the risk.

Double Whammy!

Did we not learn ANYTHING from prohibition..?

Don't ban - all you do is lose control!

Do you know where replica weapons originate from?

JAPAN! - The only country in the civilised world where it is almost impossible for the average Joe Soap to own a gun, so what do they do? - make replicas.

The whole concept of toy guns for grownups would have been ridiculous in the UK thirty years ago.

Think about it...!

How do we end up in a country where we can't recruit soldiers into the regular or TA, yet individuals PAY to go running about shooting themselves with paint?

You do the sums..

6. No they should not be banned. But if someone uses a replica in the commission of a crime, then he should be treated in the same way as if he was using the real thing. Not sure if that is the way now.

And the minimum tariff a person has to serve for possesion of an illegal firearm/replica used like a real firearm should be increased. The reason for a high minimum tariff is to send a message that it is a very serious matter. Oh and the HO should 'encourage' the police to make some high profile busts soon after the law has been passed.

In some areas of the US I think they have to paint the barrel of replicas bright orange. I think that is a ver bad idea because then you might have criminals painting real guns orange to lull the police into a false sense of security.

7. Indeed...at the pre-school my daughter attends a wee boy was running around at home time clutching a Barbie doll. The feet were bent forwards to form a barrel and when I entered he shot at me with "her".

Luckily he missed...Barbies need to be banned too!

8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Happened over here in my town a few years ago.Some dimwit tried to hold up the local garage but the RUC (then) was waiting.Muppet pointed his toy at the cop & got shot dead.About 10 feet from a Ruger .357....messy

9. A car load of boys on a busy Saturday afternoon thought it was funny to point an imitation firearm out of the window of the car as they cruised down the street... people dropped to the floor, bags went flying and I would presume there was a nasty smell in the air - the boys found it hysterical .. however an off duty Police Officer ran in front of the car and got hit! The boys although stupid served quite long sentences... which I think was a bit harsh.. but in my opinion it wouldn't be a good idea to ban imitations .. my son a couple of days ago when he couldn't get his sister to do what he said .. proceeded to get his plastic gun out and shot her in the head... a soldier in the making I feel.. I also think that women should carry an imitation in their bags so if some scumbag attacked they could produce something more than an alarm no-one responds to! Have a good evening...

10. A car load of boys on a busy Saturday afternoon thought it was funny to point an imitation firearm out of the window of the car as they cruised down the street... people dropped to the floor, bags went flying and I would presume there was a nasty smell in the air - the boys found it hysterical .. however an off duty Police Officer ran in front of the car and got hit! The boys although stupid served quite long sentences... which I think was a bit harsh.. but in my opinion it wouldn't be a good idea to ban imitations .. my son a couple of days ago when he couldn't get his sister to do what he said .. proceeded to get his plastic gun out and shot her in the head... a soldier in the making I feel.. I also think that women should carry an imitation in their bags so if some scumbag attacked they could produce something more than an alarm no-one responds to! Have a good evening...

11. Sorry double post.. must have been the wine... actually thinking about it us women should have real pistols ....

12. Good old Robin Maxwell shot dead robbing Maxol, :thumleft: Fecker and his family forced me to move house from Ards bunch of scum the lot of them. Best I heard from a mate was they moved an MSU into the Dee after the shooting ,local police laughed their heads off when they were told it was incase the estate kicked off, they said the only thing in the estate would be the partys celebrating Maxwells demise..Oh and it was a Sterling.

13. less banning - more policing

people would not carry guns, or imitation ones, if they thought they were going to get caught - heavy sentencing is irrelevant if they feel that the chance of actually being caught is minimal.

random stop search by police units in areas of high crime - regardless of race , there is a huge proportion of young black males in urban areas who feel they are immune to policing through:
    i) lack of police patrols and the interdiction/deterrent value of such
    ii) fear of police to search young black males for weapons due to allegations of racial harassment and ensuing witch hunt.

14. Thank you all . This started when we got on to dunblane , and the subsequent handgun ban, followed by the rise in gun crime. I contended that there is no need for a ban just proper enforcement of existing law's,
    and sure if someone is daft enough to wave nibbled toast or a contorted barbie in a menacing manner to commit crime they deserve all they get .

When we got to look at walts and the ( I MUST say seemingly harmless at the request of my guest ) activities they get up to, we also looked at the airsoft weapons available and the pyro's too. She appeared rather shocked to say the least and commented that some aspects were a matter of concern, on a couple of youtube videos she pointed out certain offences committed.

I made this post to show her that even on a Saturday evening I could produce like minded opinion.
    Thank you
    WW

15. I presume the wine was flowing freely or your guest has unsuspected powers or proclivities- twas a 'he' to start with and a 'she' by your last post..? :confused: :biggrin: