A Guitar owner's thread

Last edited:
Forget the first 5 minutes - in fact, JUMP the first 5 minutes - of Bert Weedon "Play in a Day" cord shapes . . . the string bending, finger work, from 5 minutes onwards, is rather good ;) !!

and the string bending, finger work, from earlier . . .

Last edited:

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
I’m a newcomer to this thread despite playing guitars for most of my life. My brother bought me an acoustic for my 14th Birthday. I mentioned my guitar collection on another thread but thought it might be better to show it off here.

I usually had at least one guitar with me throughout my army career (with the exception of Ops tours - I’m not James Blunt). I’ve been steadily acquiring guitars over the years to the point that Madam is complaining about how much room they take up.

Here is (most) of the current line-up, starting with the acoustic collection (with the exception of the 79 Les Paul Goldtop):

C04567C9-ED45-4151-B58F-6070A204DF9D.jpeg

Then the electric collection:

2D2934BE-B755-48A5-AB97-8F3BBC562A6A.jpeg

..and my latest find: A Tacoma P1 Papoose imported from the USA never seen one for sale (or even seen one played) in the UK.

A8747C70-03D9-4C0D-B9A2-DA6F5CC17AE2.jpeg
Full-size neck, small body tuned in A (like a capo on the fifth fret) sounds great played with a normal acoustic tuned in E. or just on its own. Shown alongside my Tanglewood electro-acoustic for size comparison.

There’s a couple missing from the pics - still in their cases following a recent house move. I’ll get around to photographing them soon. I’m still on the lookout for more to add to the collection.

Carbon 6

War Hero
CF139D6E-3ED7-4B7A-956F-B219027CBEDA.jpeg

This little 1864 Torres replica on the left is the latest addition to our guitar family. It’s got a 610mm scale with a 50mm neck width and it sounds wonderful. The full sized classical, shown for comparison, is my Spanish-made Jose Antonio Lagunar cedar top.

dlrg

LE
1618738759825.png

1618738780165.png

dlrg

LE
1619332870166.png

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
I’m a newcomer to this thread despite playing guitars for most of my life. My brother bought me an acoustic for my 14th Birthday. I mentioned my guitar collection on another thread but thought it might be better to show it off here.

I usually had at least one guitar with me throughout my army career (with the exception of Ops tours - I’m not James Blunt). I’ve been steadily acquiring guitars over the years to the point that Madam is complaining about how much room they take up.

Here is (most) of the current line-up, starting with the acoustic collection (with the exception of the 79 Les Paul Goldtop):

View attachment 555697

Then the electric collection:

View attachment 555698
..and my latest find: A Tacoma P1 Papoose imported from the USA never seen one for sale (or even seen one played) in the UK.

View attachment 555701Full-size neck, small body tuned in A (like a capo on the fifth fret) sounds great played with a normal acoustic tuned in E. or just on its own. Shown alongside my Tanglewood electro-acoustic for size comparison.

There’s a couple missing from the pics - still in their cases following a recent house move. I’ll get around to photographing them soon. I’m still on the lookout for more to add to the collection.

What model is the Guild in the first pic? A decent vintage one is next on my list.

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
I've picked up a few guitars at car boots to tweak and sell on. I mentioned some pages back about a Pacifica I got for £30. That went for £130 but in many ways I wish I'd kept it for my daughter.

More recently, I got this 90's Epiphone PR300 for £20 Inc a load of plectrums and a tuner. I've stuck some cheap D'Addario custom lights on it, and blow me, it plays nicely for what I paid. I know it's no great shakes in the big world of guitars, but it is always nice to be surprised by something that has cost peanuts but sounds like something a lot more expensive.
IMG-20210430-WA0000.jpeg

Forget the first 5 minutes - in fact, JUMP the first 5 minutes - of Bert Weedon "Play in a Day" cord shapes . . . the string bending, finger work, from 5 minutes onwards, is rather good ;) !!

and the string bending, finger work, from earlier . . .

I'm not convinced by the guy in the second clip. I've watched a few of his things on YouTube and, to be honest, they're just another of the 'so-and-so reacts to' genre that proliferate the channel. They're cheap to make and involve no real input, effort or skill on the part of the presenter. He hasn't got much to say, really. It's mostly just a collection of him grinning along to other YouTube clips of various guitarists that he digs. We could all do that.

As a guitarist, I'm much more interested in the instructive and enlightening stuff provided by people like Tim Pierce (Tim Pierce Guitar), Justin Sandercoe (JustinGuitar) and Adrian Woodward (Anyone Can Play Guitar).
If you were to design a nerd, then the blueprint would have to end up looking a lot like Adrian Woodward, but boy can he play - and just about any style. Very good at getting things across, as well.

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
What model is the Guild in the first pic? A decent vintage one is next on my list.

The Guild is a 1986 D16M. The ‘M’ designation denotes that it is all mahogany: body, top, neck and even the fingerboard are all mahogany. I wasn’t sure about the fingerboard until my luthier had it for a minor repair (small piece of trim fell off the heel of the neck), he pointed out that the fingerboard was mahogany too. Apparently very rare - most are rosewood, maple or ebony.

Sounds amazing, particularly at the bottom end. Very warm tone. Best acoustic I’ve owned. Although my dream acoustic would be a Gibson SJ200, or a slightly more affordable Gibson Hummingbird.

Last edited:

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
The Guild is a 1986 D16M. The ‘M’ designation denotes that it is all mahogany: body, top, neck and even the fingerboard are all mahogany. I wasn’t sure about the fingerboard until my luthier had it for a minor repair (small piece of trim fell off the heel of the neck), he pointed out that the fingerboard was mahogany too. Apparently very rare - most are rosewood, maple or ebony.

Sounds amazing, particularly at the bottom end. Very warm tone. Best acoustic I’ve played.
Thanks for replying back. That isn't a model i'd heard of either with the M suffix. There's a lot to like about the Guild brand from the vintage era. I've been lusting after one since hearing Kelly Joe Phelps play one live at Union Chapel in London many moons ago.

Maybe one day i'll drop lucky on a 1960s D-50 in Brazilian Rosewood at a car boot...I live in hope.

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
Thanks for replying back. That isn't a model i'd heard of either with the M suffix. There's a lot to like about the Guild brand from the vintage era. I've been lusting after one since hearing Kelly Joe Phelps play one live at Union Chapel in London many moons ago.

Maybe one day i'll drop lucky on a 1960s D-50 in Brazilian Rosewood at a car boot...I live in hope.

In the mid- to late-1980s Guild made three Dreadnaught guitars: the D15, D16 and D17. Basically all the same guitar but with different trim levels. The D16 was also available in different materials, designated by the suffix. D16H (Herringbone), D16A (Ash), D-16K (Koa) D16W (Walnut) and the D16M (Mahogany). The D15 and D17 were also mahogany-based but not all-mahogany like the D16M.

These guitars were made between 1986 and about 1990. Fender took over Guild in 1995 and stopped production in Westerley, Rhode Island. Pre-Fender Guilds are often referred to as ‘Westerley’ Guilds.

If you want a vintage Guild, look for the Westerley, Rhode aIsland marking on the internal sticker.

In the mid- to late-1980s Guild made three Dreadnaught guitars: the D15, D16 and D17. Basically all the same guitar but with different trim levels. The D16 was also available in different materials, designated by the suffix. D16H (Herringbone), D16A (Ash), D-16K (Koa) D16W (Walnut) and the D16M (Mahogany). The D15 and D17 were also mahogany-based but not all-mahogany like the D16M.

These guitars were made between 1986 and about 1990. Fender took over Guild in 1995 and stopped production in Westerley, Rhode Island. Pre-Fender Guilds are often referred to as ‘Westerley’ Guilds.

If you want a vintage Guild, look for the Westerley, Rhode aIsland marking on the internal sticker.

I have a fantastic Westerley D225 12 Guild (with a curved back for even more projection - an idea borrowed by Taylor) They listed for £999 back in the early 90s and if you can get one or a D25 for under 700 snap it up!

I have two of the very first off-shored GAD Orchestra models - they are fantastic instruments.

Long wanted [and couldn't afford) the M240 Parlour sized guitars associated with Nick Drake so spent a year building my own in all Mahogany. As soon as I finished Guild re-issued it and everyone else rushed to bring out their own parlour sized guitars... I can't really justify getting one now but I might get their M240 variant with a Dearmond magnetic soundhole pickup - the Troubadour model

Guild currently have mid range priced models they call their "Westerley Collection" just to confuse matters