Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Guitar owner's thread

dlrg

LE
The volume control location looks like a Gibson L6 but the bridge is an ABR type, not that ugly flat thing.

It's not a Gibson. So what can it be? The pickups are specific to this make and model...!

"Oi, you seen my 10 mil spanner...?"

Needs must...

View attachment 520516

Today's quiz question is:
Can any of you identify the make and model of this guitar from just the bridge, volume knob & pickup?

Dunno about an ID, but nearly everything in that picture evokes an emotion something like spotting a badly injured puppy.

dlrg

LE
Fair do's @Carbon 6 . A good effort. It's not a Guild. Not even an 'American' guitar. Good thinking @Provost. It is a Yamaha SG model with Spinex pickups. Popular in the late 70's and 80's. Known as 'Les Paul' killers. Fantastic guitars, great sound, heavy as a proverbial 'boat-anchor'. Not that easy to come by and are relatively expensive but do hold their value. If you get the opportunity, try one out.

yam2222.jpg

yam555.jpg

They were very good guitars. I remember the guy in Big Country and Carlos Santana used to play them. There were various series numbered models. I think that one series is still being made, but you don't see them much now.

Ibanez used to have a similar looking double cut guitar. Maybe they still do.

Carbon 6

War Hero
They were excellent guitars and I came close to buying one in 1980, but in a direct comparison, my old Gibson just felt more comfortable. I seem to remember that the Yamaha's neck was wider and thicker. Sound wise, there was nothing in it.

dlrg

LE
They were excellent guitars and I came close to buying one in 1980, but in a direct comparison, my old Gibson just felt more comfortable. I seem to remember that the Yamaha's neck was wider and thicker. Sound wise, there was nothing in it.
There's nothing much between them in neck width

Halls4.jpg
Halls5.jpg
Halls6.jpg

Both my Yamahas have '1960's slim taper' necks. Whereas, both my Les Paul Traditionals are like basesball bats (late 50's profile)

1605449110989.png

Halls2.jpg
Halls1.jpg

Yamaha SG3000s. vs Gibson Les Paul Traditional.

As for sound, to my ears the Spinex (Yamaha) pickups have a bright but full sound (no muddy tones). I wouldn't say they were any better that Gibson - that largely depends on what pickups you use. Burstbuckers, '57 Classic, 490R & 490T, Dirty Fingers etc.

You're absolutely right, they are excellent guitars but you can't beat a decent Gibson Les Paul*

*I'm sure you can!!!!

There's nothing much between them in neck width

View attachment 520690View attachment 520691View attachment 520695

Both my Yamahas have '1960's slim taper' necks. Whereas, both my Les Paul Traditionals are like basesball bats (late 50's profile)

View attachment 520706

View attachment 520696 View attachment 520698
Yamaha SG3000s. vs Gibson Les Paul Traditional.

As for sound, to my ears the Spinex (Yamaha) pickups have a bright but full sound (no muddy tones). I wouldn't say they were any better that Gibson - that largely depends on what pickups you use. Burstbuckers, '57 Classic, 490R & 490T, Dirty Fingers etc.

You're absolutely right, they are excellent guitars but you can't beat a decent Gibson Les Paul*

*I'm sure you can!!!!

Gibson Les Pauls are variable in themselves.

I have three (and a very loved copy). One is a 1990 Standard, which I've never really bonded with and is rarely out of the case. It just seems a bit lifeless to me and the neck is not at all how I like them. The pickups
are 490R & 490Ts. I've never liked them, but I have exactly the same pups on a Gibson SG Special and they're fine.

Another is a 2013 Standard with a beautiful trans amber top, but it has a minor string spacing issue and a rather unnecessary and questionable wiring configuration. It can be fettled into shape, but I've not yet got around to it.

The third Gibson is a faded Standard of 2005. This is my favourite of the Gibsons. But the one I first reach for?..... The Vintage Les Paul Lemonburst copy, on which I have changed hardware and pickups.

I should really sell the 1990 Standard. Someone else might love it.

Carbon 6

War Hero
Gibson Les Pauls are variable in themselves.

I have three (and a very loved copy). One is a 1990 Standard, which I've never really bonded with and is rarely out of the case. It just seems a bit lifeless to me and the neck is not at all how I like them. The pickups
are 490R & 490Ts. I've never liked them, but I have exactly the same pups on a Gibson SG Special and they're fine.

Another is a 2013 Standard with a beautiful trans amber top, but it has a minor string spacing issue and a rather unnecessary and questionable wiring configuration. It can be fettled into shape, but I've not yet got around to it.

The third Gibson is a faded Standard of 2005. This is my favourite of the Gibsons. But the one I first reach for?..... The Vintage Les Paul Lemonburst copy, on which I have changed hardware and pickups.

I should really sell the 1990 Standard. Someone else might love it.

IMG_1699.JPG

It's interesting that your 2005 is your favourite. This is my 2006 Standard and it's usually within arm's reach on the couch. It has no body weight relief and unusually, was nicely finished, other than the nut, which I had to replace. It had been set up at the factory with the first string (E) running into the fretboard binding. I bought it used and saw the issue with the nut immediately, but was able to talk the seller down to a great price. One new bone nut installed cut to the proper spacing and it plays like a dream.
However, it's probably the last Gibson that I'll buy, their quality control has gone to the dogs and my next guitar will more than likely be a PRS Custom 22. The finish and set up on those guitars is superb.

Carbon 6

War Hero

There are some marvellous young players around these days. The SinaDrums videos are great too.

View attachment 521939

It's interesting that your 2005 is your favourite. This is my 2006 Standard and it's usually within arm's reach on the couch. It has no body weight relief and unusually, was nicely finished, other than the nut, which I had to replace. It had been set up at the factory with the first string (E) running into the fretboard binding. I bought it used and saw the issue with the nut immediately, but was able to talk the seller down to a great price. One new bone nut installed cut to the proper spacing and it plays like a dream.
However, it's probably the last Gibson that I'll buy, their quality control has gone to the dogs and my next guitar will more than likely be a PRS Custom 22. The finish and set up on those guitars is superb.

I have no personal experience, but this year's Gibson offerings are said to be very good indeed. Probably a lot to do with their new broom CEO arising from the company's near bankruptcy.

Now, whether this new 'golden age' lasts? They came out of their notorious Norlin era a generation ago. Important lessons were learned... and then forgotten again.

My recently aquired Hartke bass rig, the head is in a rack and is the LH500. It's one of the nicest sounding set ups that I have owned and I have had a few over the years, Trace Elliot, Ampeg, Laney, Mesa Boogie & Marshall.

This really does sound great and all for just over a grand...the head was an ex Demo B Stock job but you wouldn't be able to tell and looked brand new to me. I will never get it wound up to 11 it's just for the home studio but I really do love the look of the new Hy-Drives so got two.

dlrg

LE
View attachment 521939

That's a beautiful Les Paul.

Not sure I agree with you re: Gibson quality control. I own a few Gibsons (see post #1,525) and can honestly say that I've never had a problem with QC. That can't be down to 'good luck'. However, a PRS Custom 22 - Mmmmm, I fancy one of those with an 'Amber' top.

Latest Threads