Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Guitar owner's thread

I only just heard about this. Being a tech, his passing didn't cause as much of a flurry as would a strutting rock god, but he was arguably one of best luthiers around... and quite a bit younger than I thought he was.

dlrg

LE
1603701852784.png

Let's start with - That looks quire expensive. It’d be too deer for me.*

*Courtesy - My Les Paul Forum

I've just discovered that this is potentially worth five to six hundred quid. Needs a bit of work, but it's straight and bodily undamaged. Ideally, it needs machine heads and reducer bushes, pickup rings and one switch. 50 quid all told. Oh yeah, and new strings! Those that are on it are from the 90s.

It's a Kay Effector, sold by Sears in the USA, and somehow made its way to Belfast. I bought it in 1993, but it's a ton weight and I never really got on with it. The effects do work, they're just a bit tame in these days of multi-effects pedals.

I hate soldering, and nearly always burn myself, so I'll ask one of the ladies at work to do the switch.

121779116_3361307413989785_6355532265831562546_n.jpg
121741309_357097728868486_4568295098150552084_n.jpg

dlrg

LE
I've just discovered that this is potentially worth five to six hundred quid. Needs a bit of work, but it's straight and bodily undamaged. Ideally, it needs machine heads and reducer bushes, pickup rings and one switch. 50 quid all told. Oh yeah, and new strings! Those that are on it are from the 90s.

It's a Kay Effector, sold by Sears in the USA, and somehow made its way to Belfast. I bought it in 1993, but it's a ton weight and I never really got on with it. The effects do work, they're just a bit tame in these days of multi-effects pedals.

I hate soldering, and nearly always burn myself, so I'll ask one of the ladies at work to do the switch.

View attachment 515191View attachment 515192
Have you seen this:

Thanks for that @dlrg.

I rang a guy I know this morning who makes violins, and who does a bit of work on guitars and pianos. He said "Yeah, I can fix it up, but I'd really like to buy it instead"

Amazing what comes into fashion. When I bought it in Smithfield Market (Belfast) the woman told me it had been in the shop for a couple of years, and wouldn't shift.

I've been having problems with hum and buzz from my amp (Blackstar ID Core 20) when the effects pedals are powered up. The problem got worse when I tried to use the built in settings on the amp (particularly crunch and OD). I was forever having to fiddle with the gain and volume.

I found the problem was the power supply to the effects pedals (all Digitech, requiring 300 mA) but I had been put off by the cost of getting a new power supply with the required output (when you could find one with 300 mA output that is).

However I came across this on Amazon for less than £50 with free postage...

Works like a dream - I get a slight background hiss if all the pedals are on and everything on the amp is turned up to 11 - otherwwise no unwanted noise at all. I gave it a good workout the other night and had no problems - I had all the pedals working fine and the amp sounded like it did when the chap in the shop demo'ed it for me. :)

A bargain at the price, it is also very nicely made (sturdy metal casing), small size and comes with all the required cables. It looks groovy when all the blue LEDs are lit up as well.

Worth a look if you need a power supply for some power hungry pedals or ahve problems with noise on the amp. Recommended.

Edited to add - I showed it to a friend who plays lead guitar in a rock covers band. He thought it was a bargain at that price and was also impressed with the build quality.

Last edited:

Davyj

Crow
Epiphone les paul,Homebuilt Telecaster,Fender ukulele,epiphone ukulele,Kala ukulele,Yamaha guitarlele,Ozark Mandolin,Rocket mandolin,Epiphone electra lap steel,Korala ukulele,Recording King lap steel,Donner u-Bass,harley benson lap steel.All put through a Fender G-Dec 150 amp

dlrg

LE
"Oi, you seen my 10 mil spanner...?"

Needs must...

1605371177028.png

Today's quiz question is:
Can any of you identify the make and model of this guitar from just the bridge, volume knob & pickup?

Last edited:

Latest Threads