Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Guitar owner's thread

Nice. Is that the new Jackson JS Series? Why the five knobs?

It's a David Ellefson USA Custom Shop Rust In Peace 20th Anniversary, 1 of 60 5 strings in black.
As Evdhimong said, two volumes and on board EQ.

I have a JS Series which is now for sale in a local music shop...but it also had five knobs, just without the onboard EQ stacked knob. I was slowly adding the Badass II bridge, Hipshot tuners and the DE EMG pickups (which I also plan to sell now) to make it as close to the USA version when this came up for sale and I just had to have it....and more importantly got clearance from the LHSMaj.

Apologies for re-posting this picture but it shows them side by side. You can see the differences between the USA Custom Shop & the JS, most noteably string spacing, control spacing and headstock shape & angle and slight variation in the body shape. The JS was bolt on which isn't evident in the picture I had also upgraded the tuners to Hipshots at the time I took the picture.

Last edited:

dlrg

LE
@Munter Hunter
Excellent. Cheers for that. Very interesting.

I really should try and learn to play Bass guitar. Everytime I pick one up, I make the mistake of going straight into lead guitar mode! A different skill and mind set required.

Last edited:

Carbon 6

War Hero

I really should try and learn to play Bass guitar. Everytime I pick one up, I make the mistake of going straight into lead guitar mode! A different skill and mind set required.

Speaking of bass, I love Bridget Kearney's playing with Lake Street Dive. They're an excellent band.

IMG_1605.JPG

Last edited:

I'm the same. Additionally, my arms are too short and my hands are too small! My bass-playing jamming buddy Billy The Farmer is a 6'2" 20 stone gorilla with hands like shovels.

@Munter Hunter

No problem, I was pleased you noticed it was slightly different.
I get the same thing when I pick up the guitar which I started in with about five years ago.
But I think it has helped improve my bass playing for sure...I am not sure it works the other way around lol.

Last edited:

dlrg

LE
Never seen this sort of 'double neck' before...! I should get out more.

guits.jpg

I do like a bit of pedal/lap steel, and slide.

I played the guitars on this and is probably my favourite slide work - was only meant to be a b-side, but ended up being a bit better so we turned it into an EP and it made the album. Didn't really practice, just played a few takes and kept what I liked and had the right vibe.

Last edited:

dlrg

LE

I do like a bit of pedal steel, and slide.

I played the guitars on this and is probably my favourite slide work - was only meant to be a b-side, but ended up being a bit better so we turned it into an EP and it made the album. Didn't really practice, just played a few takes and kept what I liked and had the right vibe.

I could listen to that lap steel all day long. I like the feel of the second track. Great stuff.

[DRIFT]

[/DRIFT]

dlrg

LE

I do like a bit of pedal/lap steel, and slide.
I like this and many other - Luke Cyrus Goetze

Thanks to you AstrixTG, I felt inspired enough to get out my bottle-necks & my cheap 'n' cheerful Harley Benton lap steel (tuned open G). I need a lot of chuffin' practice!
I usually use my LP Less+ for slide playing. You can preset desired tunings using the GForce (not everybody's cup of tea but I'm glad I have it on at least one guitar).

20201008_170220.jpg

Last edited:
Some beautiful acoustic on this . . .

Hi chaps

Went to the guitar shop in town yesterday with grandson and picked up his guitar:

Squier FSR Bullet Strat with Limited Edition Lake Placid Blue finish...

For the amp we picked a Fender Champion 20...

Paid out a bit more for the higher specced amp and the limited edition paint job than originally intended, but by the time we'd added a strap, a Snark tuner and gigbag, the nice chap in the shop (who, incidentally, used to work with my son...) gave us a discount and threw in some spare strings and picks. We still got a good deal and the staff at the shop now know me and the grandson. They told him to drop in and see them if he has any problems with the gear, or simply to chat or ask for advice.

One very happy grandfather and grandson.... :cool:

Hi chaps

Went to the guitar shop in town yesterday with grandson and picked up his guitar:

Squier FSR Bullet Strat with Limited Edition Lake Placid Blue finish...

For the amp we picked a Fender Champion 20...

Paid out a bit more for the higher specced amp and the limited edition paint job than originally intended, but by the time we'd added a strap, a Snark tuner and gigbag, the nice chap in the shop (who, incidentally, used to work with my son...) gave us a discount and threw in some spare strings and picks. We still got a good deal and the staff at the shop now know me and the grandson. They told him to drop in and see them if he has any problems with the gear, or simply to chat or ask for advice.

One very happy grandfather and grandson.... :cool:

Excellent choice of amp! I picked up a secondhand one for a bargain price a while back, not expecting anything special. But, wow! All the sounds are in there from blues to thrash metal, even when dialled down to bedroom friendly levels. If I have one criticism, it’s the lack of really low bass-response, but that’s mainly physics due to the smaller speaker. Otherwise it puts up a good fight against my expensive full-fat valve amp.

With that and the Strat, it won’t be the gear that prevents him getting an awesome tone! ;)

There is a speaker mod you can do to enhance the bass and headroom a bit. I’m not sure if it’s worth the effort and expense, but I’m tempted to give it a go for the hell of it. If I do, I’ll post the results on here.

Latest Threads