Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Guitar owner's thread

I know what you mean about Gibsons. My first decent guitar was a 1968 SG on which the third string had to be tuned slightly flat in the open position to compensate. I've owned four 335s and a 345 down the years though, and never had a tuning issue with any of them.

This guy does a good summary of the headstock design 'issues' that can cause problems with a Gibson.

Carbon 6

War Hero
One of my Les Pauls has a top E that pings off the edge of the fretboard. I haven't got round to getting a new nut with different slots cut.

It's one of the newer one's that would have been set up using Gibson's heralded (by them) computerised Plek system. Utter bollocks. Stevie Wonder would have done a better job.

I used the exact same measurements of the 345 when I replaced the nut on the Les Paul. It plays like a dream now.

Carbon 6

War Hero
I used the exact same measurements of the 345 when I replaced the nut on the Les Paul. It plays like a dream now.

IMG_1600.JPG

This, on the other hand, has never had any tuning or other problems. It's probably the finest guitar that I've ever had in my hands, and that includes the ridiculously expensive instruments in the Martin factory. The factory tour is well worth taking BTW, if C19 ever clears up, that is.

Alamo

LE
Sims are something I've started thinking about as I don't really plan to gig and I can't wind up any amp to any volume that's going to make the difference due to not living in the middle of nowhere (I wish).

Could you describe your setup with the Amplitube software?
Get a power soak. You can wind the amp up to 10 and it will ‘soak’ the volume down to an acceptable level. Brilliant if you have a valve amp and live in a bedsit! About £120 off Amazon

dlrg

LE
Picked up a mint used Fender 'Modern Player' Jaguar yesterday (made between 2011 & 2013). Fantastic player, great sound (P90's), great workmanship & top value (300€ incl. Fender gigbag etc.). Made in China - but don't let that put you off! If it was crap, I wouldn't have bought it!

DSC03707 (2).JPG

Changed the knobs from Jazz Bass type to Telecaster.

jagback.JPG

Last edited:

dlrg

LE
Essentially this is an odd shaped 'Gibson SG' with a bolt on neck and a Fender logo. If you get the opportunity to try one out - give it a go!

DSC03688 (3).JPG

Last edited:

Latest Threads