Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Guitar owner's thread

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks chaps

My gut feeling is for the Fender pack, but I will call in at my local guitar shop and see if they have anything to offer - at least we can try before we buy rather than just ordering online.

+1 for the Fender pack. The Affinity is a good beginner guitar, the Gear4Music is an unknown quantity in terms of build quality for me.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
+1 one on a set up, it's seriously worth the cost.

I would suggest finding someone away from the guitar shop as a general rule of thumb unless they do have a genuine in house luthier...which most don't in my experience.

http://www.jwhite-guitarworkshops.co.uk/ I have used this chap in the past (and I posted to him from over here in France that is how much confidence I have in his work) as he makes a first class job and you also get a printed sheet of exactly what the state of the guitar is when he takes it in and the difference in action height when he's worked his magic on it.

Could not agree more. For years I baulked at paying £80 for a setup when I've never spent more than £350 on a guitar. However, I gave mine to J White and my Gretsch came back playing like the best guitar I'd ever tried. Perfect for me and whilst it took 2 months to get an appointment, once I dropped it off, a week later it was perfect.

+1 for the Fender pack. The Affinity is a good beginner guitar, the Gear4Music is an unknown quantity in terms of build quality for me.

Thanks chaps

It is looking like we'll be buying from the local guitar shop - I've spoken to the chaps at the shop and they will be happy to do me a deal on a Squier plus amp etc.

Not happy with letting grandson buy a Gear4Music pack after reading some of the reviews.

dlrg

LE
1599399161059.png

dlrg

LE
Thought I'd show off my collection!

View attachment 428072

Time for an update - a couple of new additions (underlined)

My Guits.jpg

Top left to right:
Gibson 2015 Les Paul 'Less +'. 1998 'The Paul'. 2014 LPJ. 2020 Les Paul Classic. 2011 Les Paul Doublecut Classic Exclusive. 2014 Les Paul Traditional, 2014 Les Paul Traditional.
Epiphone 2019 DC PRO

Bottom left to right:
Hudson '90's Strat Copy. Fender 1998/1999 Stratocaster (Mex). 2009/10 Telecaster (Mex). 2001/02 Stratocaster (Lefty). Gibson 2013 LPJ (Lefty). 2017 Firebird Zero. 2013 SG Melody Maker. Yamaha 1983 SG3000S. 1978 SG1000. Ibanez. 2004 AR300.

Last edited:

Pffft! A bit of work with a 2B pencil, and you're good to go.

I've never had a problem with my Strat type guitars. Although I've fitted them all with a pair of roller string trees, and use a tiny dab of (ooh-er) "Nut Sauce".

Gibsons, on the other hand...

Carbon 6

War Hero
It's also fifty years since Black Sabbath released Paranoid.

That's sobering, Paranoid was the first song I ever played on stage. It's hard to believe that I and all my band mates from 1970 are still around. Given the number of substances, both legal and illegal, (no hard stuff though, we weren't that stupid) that we imbibed, it's surprising that any of us are still alive.

Carbon 6

War Hero

I've never had a problem with my Strat type guitars. Although I've fitted them all with a pair of roller string trees, and use a tiny dab of (ooh-er) "Nut Sauce".

I know what you mean about Gibsons. My first decent guitar was a 1968 SG on which the third string had to be tuned slightly flat in the open position to compensate. I've owned four 335s and a 345 down the years though, and never had a tuning issue with any of them.

Carbon 6

War Hero

IMG_0652.JPG

I may have posted this before, but the tuning on the 345 on the left was perfect. The Les Paul was so bad that I had to replace the nut and change the string spacing to correct the tuning and stop the first string pulling off the edge of the fretboard. I bought it used and was happy to make the adjustments, but how it escaped the Gibson factory in that condition was astonishing.

View attachment 505507

I may have posted this before, but the tuning on the 345 on the left was perfect. The Les Paul was so bad that I had to replace the nut and change the string spacing to correct the tuning and stop the first string pulling off the edge of the fretboard. I bought it used and was happy to make the adjustments, but how it escaped the Gibson factory in that condition was astonishing.

One of my Les Pauls has a top E that pings off the edge of the fretboard. I haven't got round to getting a new nut with different slots cut.

It's one of the newer one's that would have been set up using Gibson's heralded (by them) computerised Plek system. Utter bollocks. Stevie Wonder would have done a better job.

Latest Threads