A Guitar owner's thread

I'm just relearning to play the guitar on a Yamaha APX 600 acoustic (very happy with it) using Guitar Tricks and thoroughly enjoying myself. I've been thinking about an electric guitar and I'm drawn to a hollow body Gretsch (I'd love a Duesenberg Fullerton TV but too many pennies right now) but not sure if a Gretsch is a smart move for a beginner. What say the guitar sages on this fine thread?

I'm just relearning to play the guitar on a Yamaha APX 600 acoustic (very happy with it) using Guitar Tricks and thoroughly enjoying myself. I've been thinking about an electric guitar and I'm drawn to a hollow body Gretsch (I'd love a Duesenberg Fullerton TV but too many pennies right now) but not sure if a Gretsch is a smart move for a beginner. What say the guitar sages on this fine thread?
It really does depend on what you want to spend. Gretsch streamliners are ok for the price and if you can do without a bigsby you can pick up something decent for £300.
Some of the Ibanez Artcore hollow body guitars are great value.

I may wait a while to be honest, I'm still learning and shelling out more money on something I can barely use seems a bit daft really.

I have a Gisbon SG type guitar in my corner of crap that should be burned. I have no idea how I ended up with it.
Gibsons are very variable - it always has been a problem and still is - despite their much vaunted computerised PLEK system.

I have a fairly recent SG special faded. It's at the cheaper end of their range and it's one of my favourite guitars. Luck of the draw - and it bloody well shouldn't be.

Conundrum!

I am having trouble with my Pedal Train. Any of you chaps have any ideas?

I am running the following:
Dunlop Wah.
Boss Distortion DS1.
Boss Super Overdrive SD1.
Boss Blues Driver BD2.
Boss Loop Station RC1.
Behringer Compressor/Sustain.
Behringer Ultra Chorus.

All running through a Nordell Audio Powercore (the one with 7 x 9V inputs and a few others).

The problem is when ALL the pedals are connected and daisy chained I cant get any sound!?
I can connect a few together and that works. Dist/Blues Dvr/Chorus etc, and I have tried switching
certain pedals around in the daisy chain.

All the inputs on the pedals are 9V.

Running into a clean but basic Peavey Amp and using a Les Paul Custom.

Very perplexed.
Any thoughts are appreciated chaps!

On the basis that a chain is as strong as its weakest link, you need to isolate the problem.

Check each pedal, patch cable and power connector individually. When something falls down, there's your problem.

I hope you don't put fairy lights up on your Christmas tree.

Cheers for the reply Provost.

I have checked each pedal. Individually they all work fine, I've checked there are no errant batteries lurking in them as I know this can affect signal/power etc.

All the cables are fine and I've checked those also. (not cheapies).

I have also mixed the order in which they are set up but to no avail.
I can connect a few together and they work.
I put them all together - nowt!

I don't think its a power problem and the power supply is more than ample for the small amount of pedals.
The usual daisy chain I've run is this:

Guitar - Wah - Blues Driver - OD - Dist - Chorus - Comp/Sus - Loop - Amp.

Like I said I have mixed the order of pedal around as well.

It's bloody head scratching to tell you the truth!!

Cheers.

dlrg.

Cheers for the reply.

No mate. I only add the loop rarely if I am honest.
Same set up as above but without the Loop and still nowt!

I had the blues D - OD and Chorus linked last night. No problem.
Then I tried Dist - Chorus - Sustain. No problem.

All together - Bugger all!!

I'm proper scratching my swad. Im thinking it has to be a power problem. But there is ample power
through the power core (I believe). Or the Wah. but that works when linked directly!!

Cheers,

1. Chain them all together in non-working mode.
2. Remove the last item in the chain until the signal works.
3. Put the last (non-working chain) item to one side and add the ones you removed.
4. Use this logic to isolate the faulty item.
5. G*t m*n*y, f*ck b*tch*s.

Last edited: