A Guitar owner's thread

I decided I’d had enough of ‘teaching myself’ on and off all these years and getting nowhere so I’m having regular lessons, enjoying it and finally making progress. Even then it’s slow progress- anything resembling a smooth transition between chords/notes is a way off but I guess it’s just commitment and practise. To help enforce the commitment I treated myself to a PRS SE Santana which was a barely played second hand bargain, and a Bluguitar Amp1, which definitely wasn’t, but beats having a big combo in the room and sounds great

I decided I’d had enough of ‘teaching myself’ on and off all these years and getting nowhere so I’m having regular lessons, enjoying it and finally making progress. Even then it’s slow progress- anything resembling a smooth transition between chords/notes is a way off but I guess it’s just commitment and practise. To help enforce the commitment I treated myself to a PRS SE Santana which was a barely played second hand bargain, and a Bluguitar Amp1, which definitely wasn’t, but beats having a big combo in the room and sounds great
PRS Santana is one of the "cheaper" (relatively) Korean PRSses, is it not? How does it play?

It is the cheaper Korean one, although at 260 it was the most expensive guitar I’ve bought. I’ve got little skill to really make the most of it and not enough experience to really know how it compares, but I tried it through a lovely boutique amp and it just sounded fantastic. It does feel nice to play, it’s a lot smaller than my others (Tele, HSS Strat, 335 and SG- all Squier or Epi versions).
To put it into context though my teacher has a SE Custom as his working guitar and says it plays really well if not better than his Fenders, Gibson’s etc

Edit to add: I think it’s the ‘SE’ that denotes the Korean make, there is or was a US made Santana too

Aargh. There's always *something*. The whammy bar won't swing freely. Looks like someone monged the threads at some stage.

Not what you expect from a new guitar at that price........

E-mail being angrily tapped now... (but I'm sure I'll be sorting it myself with a tap and a die)....

Aargh. There's always *something*. The whammy bar won't swing freely. Looks like someone monged the threads at some stage.

Not what you expect from a new guitar at that price........

E-mail being angrily tapped now... (but I'm sure I'll be sorting it myself with a tap and a die)....
My brother bought a strat plus, a few decades ago. He is a properly gifted guitarist.
He bought it to get to grips with the whammy bar, having cracked the bodies and necks of a few guitars doing his Jimmy page impersonations.
Someone thinking it was some sort of expensive coathanger, threw it out in the rubbish. (My Mum).
I think that the count is up to three or four times now that he has drunkenly ordered the standard ones off of ebay, only to find that they don't fit as the thread is reversed.
His classical , jazz and flamenco has come on leaps and bounds but the Micheal Schekner not so much.

Edit to add. The strat plus is a lovely guitar. and has a free flowing nut and wonderfully engineered floating bridge that in my bros case have never been used as intended.

Last edited:
This costs £140 to £150 but it's a future classic. Utterly lush reverbs and endless editing editing capabilities with a built in express pedal.

This is my 4th TC Electronic stomp box and they are all good but the HOF 2 is special.

Got one of these recently:
RVJT (Vibrant Series) - Revelation Guitars

And one of these too:

Oh, and I also bought a P-Bass as well:

The Precision cost about 150 quid and for the same price you can get a Jazz Bass version.

I bought a Tortoiseshell pick-guard to go on it and it looks superb. It sounds great, plays great.

The Revelation guitars are also pretty cool. Made in China by Alan Entwistle of 'Hohner' fame. He's been in the game years. You can get cheaper guitars from China, but he lives there now and oversees quality control and makes sure the factory workers are happy. So you pay a little more, but you get a much better quality product. Still got a few flaws, but really...

Everyone should have a Jazzmaster and a 335 in their collection. Amazing guitars.

Right. Update on the Godin.

Not only was the thread for the trem arm fooked, but after 2 weeks of play it went from having absolutely zero fret buzz to having it atrociously. Since I was playing a lot with the piezo pickups, it was coming through the amp. Unplayable.

So I sent it in for warranty repair. "Yeah, bridge needs to be replaced. It's got to come from Canada".

1.5 months later still nothing, so I e-mail them and tell them I want my money back, cos I'm not spending CHF 1,200 on a guitar a) for it to have 2 distinct problems, and b) it take an age to fix.

"OK sir, but since we may need to assess a restocking fee, you can't have your money back until it's repaired".

Grrrr.

I was about to tap another angry e-mail 3 months after sending it in when I got one saying I could have the full whack back. Which was nice.

In the meantime I'd bought a Line6 Variax Standard (which I'd have bought in the first place if I'd known about it) modelling guitar, which is superb. And half the price of the Godin, and does exactly what I want. I also got a line6 Pod HD500x second hand for about CHF 100 off the new price, and it's brilliant.

You can tell it's a 600 guitar and not a 1200 guitar, but it works and being able to select voices and tunings etc. is brilliant. Once I've stopped being crap I'll maybe film a demo.

Last edited:
TC Electronic Sentry arrived eventually, it was out of stock surprise, surprise.

Worked great for about eight hours and then it decided to work as a noise enhancer & then the switch decided to give up switching!

I've sent it back and still haven't heard anything in over two weeks.

I love good service.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
******* gutted.

I had a bloke round at my flat today fitting blinds and he managed to knock my Crafter over.

I bought this guitar with my first ever pay cheque from the Navy when I was 16. It’s been around the world with me but somehow I’ve managed to keep it in pretty much pristine condition. There wasn’t a scratch on it.

A new one is 468 quid, assuming this guy’s insurance coughs up and I don’t end up with a fight on my hands, I’ll probably just buy a like for like replacement. It really was a beautiful guitar and it played and sounded like something twice the price.

B3FDD44C-3911-405D-967E-6F751CFF3ED0.jpeg
15F1610E-F56F-4470-98D4-E964275E65FE.jpeg

Alternatively, any other recommendations for an electro acoustic around the 500 quid mark?

I've seen headstock repairs to Gibsons - with your guitar, it would effectively form a scarf joint. Get the insurance dosh, then see if it can be done.

******* gutted.

I had a bloke round at my flat today fitting blinds and he managed to knock my Crafter over.

I bought this guitar with my first ever pay cheque from the Navy when I was 16. It’s been around the world with me but somehow I’ve managed to keep it in pretty much pristine condition. There wasn’t a scratch on it.

A new one is 468 quid, assuming this guy’s insurance coughs up and I don’t end up with a fight on my hands, I’ll probably just buy a like for like replacement. It really was a beautiful guitar and it played and sounded like something twice the price.

View attachment 327545 View attachment 327546

Alternatively, any other recommendations for an electro acoustic around the 500 quid mark?
It's not the end of the world. On the upside the break looks pretty clean. Wood glue, clamps and a bit of patience should do the trick.

There is a wealth of information at: Search Results for Query: headstock breaks | My Les Paul Forum

Here's an example

1522023884386.png

1522023906018.png

1522023934252.png

Last edited: