A guide to berets.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Aggernon, Oct 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They do look as large as the old Tam O' Shanters, you're right.

They almost put the Swiss Guard to shame.

All that's missing from that photo are bicycles and strings of onions.

Are those berets multi function and intended to replace the 58 Poncho?...
  2. From memory I think they are Chasseurs Alpins
  3. Oui, c'est vrai.
  4. Oui, ces soldats sont le Chasseurs Alpins, porteurs homosexuels de béret d'élite célèbre les grands de l'armée française.
  5. Les Chasseurs Alpins, qui par tradition dormaient avec leurs pieds enveloppés dans leurs bérets ... donc un béret que la taille est normale!
  6. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Bollocks <- that's about as good as my french gets.

As for the pic of the berets, I have seen worse in the RLC.
  7. Ca, je savais pas. Fantassin, c'est vrais?
  8. Having pulled that up from the bowels of my military memory, I am now searching for a citation or reference. I'll take a flying punt and say it was in Geoffrey Keyes biography that this factoid was revealed. Keyes trained with the Chasseurs Alpins in the French alps during the phoney war, in ski and mountain warfare. Typical cavalry swan course - you or I would have been on Service Funds Accounting in Rhyll or at the Army School of Cess-pit Maintenance, Blyth.
  9. Ok, now you made me look: "...un beret tres large, porte incline et bientot surnomme 'la tarte', qui permet de s'abriter du vent, de la neige ou du soleil." Chasseurs et Alpins, Eric Baschet, 1982
    So it's to protect from wind, snow and sun and called la tarte. How apt.
    I still liked your story better though.
  10. Similar beret, the Chasseurs Ardennais, Belgian, huge green job with a boar's head in the front. Traded one on the march there.
  11. So, it's not cos they're gay then? My research is as rubbish as my French.
  12. And there's me thinking that they were a couple of Household Cavalry officers on attachment to the Ministère de la Défense.

Definitely cavalry officer type berets.

Speaking of nice Alpine courses, I was attached to the extremely well equipped Swiss Army for a couple of weeks. Their berets were almost as good as mine, and they really were terribly concerned about stray rounds in their very casually layed out ranges.
  13. Only to be expected eh ? B-)
  14. All he needs is a white "H" on top... (can also double as a daysack or emergency sleeping bag)

Attached Files:

• 03.jpg
      File size:
      139.8 KB