A Great Recipe for All You Cannibals Out There

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Cholmondley-Warner, Jun 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Marinated Leg of Person

1 human leg, about 3 kilos
    6 cups dry cider
    1 kilo carrots, sliced thinly
    8 medium onions, sliced thinly
    16 juniper berries
    8 leaves sage, chopped
    1/2 cup butter
    2 whole nutmegs, grated
    salt and pepper to taste

Combine half each of the cider, nutmeg and sage with 2 of the onions, the juniper berries and salt and pepper to taste. Cut the leg into slices about 1 cm. thick and over these pour the marinade. Refrigerate, covered, for 36 - 48 hours, turning the meat occasionally.

Remove the meat from the marinade and dry with toweling. Strain the marinade and to this add the remaining cider.

In a large flameproof casserole melt the butter and, over a high flame, brown the meat slices on both sides. Remove the slices, lower the flame and add the remaining onions and the carrots, cooking until the onions are softened. Pour in the marinade and bring to a boil. Add the remaining seasonings, replace the leg, cover and place in a medium oven for 1 1/2 hours. Serve hot directly from the casserole. Serves 6 - 8.

My mouth is watering already. :D
  2. Sounds fantastic - I assume the recipe is for a leg with the bone in?
  3. A simpler and tasty alternative.

Preheat oven to 160C. (325F.)
    Skin leg and trim off excess fat if needed.

Total roasting time should be about 25-30 minutes per pound or 55-65 minutes per kilogram.

Place in oven and roast for 30 minutes.
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
    Remove from oven, brush with sauce and return for balance of time

Very tasty served with rice pilaf

About the Marinated Leg described above, it would be fine for an older gamier cut but I would tend to halve the juniper and nutmeg for a younger cut.