A good reason for new Police Commissioners?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by TheIronDuke, Oct 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 2
  2. If the former head of the Met , Lord (or is he only Sir) Ian Blair is against it there has got to be something in it worth having.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I think they will be wonderful for us, especially if they are as good as that nice Tom Selleck,
    • Like Like x 1

4. I will be boycotting the vote as I am 300 mile from my home town on polling day.
  5. Andrew Mitchell for police commissioner! He should get agate.
  6. Probably? I believe it's a given that it will.

Watch the increase in bugets for public-friendly anti-social and burglary crime stuff, but you won't see the decrease in departments investigating non-public facing criminality. If the public can't see it, they won't acknowledge it when the vote time comes around again.

How much power will these commissioners have? Will they have the ability to say whether crimes go to the CPS or not? Will we see a rise in high-powered types not being charged as it's 'not in the public's interest'?
  7. I shan't be voting - the failure to provide assistance, mailshots etc has rigged the vote so that only the big parties stand a chance. As it's them that have fucked up the situation in the first place....
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Another happy hunting ground for rewarding the party faithful.
    Isn't MiLord Prescott standing for one?
    Will there be any independent candidates, or has it already been sewn up by the major parties?
    What's the going rate, £80,000 or thereabouts, for another tier of failed ex politicos, who are too stupid to get onto the EU gravy train.

And the powers that be wonder at voter apathy?
    Ban ANY professional politico, or party member (anyone who has EVER been in a political party) from standing. Then maybe we'll see something other than the usual suspects crawl out of the wood work.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Agreed. if ACPO don't like them there's got to be some mileage in it. I shall definitely be voting
    • Like Like x 2
  10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

In part, that's my problem. Nobody I have spoken to has a scoobie about how the job will work, what are their powers and above all, how they will improve policing. Our Chief Constable Sue Simms seems to be doing a canny job without CivPop interference.
  11. The trouble I can see with PCC is that they are only going to get elected on local issues that effect local people on a daily basis. Such as speeding, ASB, late night drinking licences and the like, these are fine and do need to be dealt with.

No one is going to get elected on the issues of terrorism, corporate fraud and organised crime groups, these things generally do not affect people on a day to day basis.

The majority of the candidates will be driven by a Political Agenda because of their funding and affiliations further politicising the Criminal Justice System, whether you welcome this or not I do not know.

Give them a chance and see how it goes.

As a matter of interest The Police Authorities are all elected as well.
  12. You just have to examine Blair's past to see why he doesn't like the idea. Both you and I live not far (possibly even in the same region) to Forces which have been headed by corrupt Chief Constables and other senior officers. The Police Authorities in those same areas have been involved or at least complacent in some of those activities. We are now at a point where we do not know who to trust. I certainly wouldn't be trusting Blair. The worst thing about this Police & Crime Commissioner malarky is that they have made it difficult for independents to stand and many of the candidates will be from political backgrounds. They won't be reeasing the names of the candidates until 25 Oct. The good things to come from this is that the elected individual won't have any say on how your county is policed, but they will have the power to control expenditure and to sack the Chief Constable if he or she is not performing. People like Blair can complain all they like, but if it wasn't for bent coppers and police authorities, we wouldn't be needing a Police and Crime Commissioner. Somebody, somewhere had to do something about the state of police management in some areas as the police were unwilling to do it themselves. Why should the tax payer keep footing the bill for people who plainly lack integrity and are committing more serious criminal offences than those that they are paid to police. I can only speak for where I live and the surrounding areas, but one corrupt Chief Officer is too much in my books. On saying that though, I'm not even in aposition to tell you whether I will vote or not, as I haven't seen the names of the candidates, which I'm sure will include some unsavoury former councillors looking for a better paid job.
  13. I think Khan Juna sums it all up very nicely as he withdraws in the race for the Thames Valley PC

BBC News - Khan Juna out of Thames Valley police commissioner election
  14. The trouble with not voting is that when you don't like the result, it is difficult to complain about it.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. I know that some candidates have put themselves forward for Manchester, but to date, we've not received a single piece of info regarding policy so haven't a clue what any candidates stance is.

It's all a load of bollocks any ways, haven't we got enough on our plates in the UK without farting around with this, it feels like a case of fiddling whilst Rome burns to be frank (where's that windsurfer).
    • Like Like x 1