A good read - "An Ordinary Soldier" by Doug Beattie

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Tonanti216, Jul 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Went along to the local Waterstones for a ticket only night to hear Doug Beattie talk about his book and about his time in Afghanistan, particularly the battle for Garmsir. He gave what I thought was an honest and forthright account of what is happening in Helmand and beyond. It was a good night both for his talk and for the signed copy of his book. I understand another book is on the way from him.

£7.99 well spent.

(Sorry, I cross posted this!!)

2. I too, have read his book. Infact i bought it as soon as it came out. It really is a brilliant read and well worth the money if you ask me! A must read.

3. Glad you liked his book. I couldn't get along with it myself, it frustrates me that I couldnt put my finger on what i ddidnt like about it becasue it had all the makings of a good book. A small point, criticising a person who I'm sure is a better man than me, but I hated how he so often referred to himself in the third person. Ie. "Beattie is not going to stand for that...." etc etc.

4. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I enjoyed the book and if you can find a copy online of Fighting the Taleban, from Channel 4's Despatches, it was filmed at the same time and place.

5. Well if he can't write, at least he can fight! Fair play to him and the others in Afghan then and now. There is another book coming out soon - in October. Task Force Helmand. Lets see if that one is any good...

6. Thought he came across as a t*~t. Shame as he's actually a good bloke.

7. I hated how he so often referred to himself in the third person. Ie. "Beattie is not going to stand for that...." etc etc.[/quote]

That's invariably the sign of an insufferable egotist (gnash, grind) Good book otherwise tho'

8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhjP-VQcyoU

Youtube HTH.

9. Just watched that documentary on youtube, got the book now ready to go !!

10. Completely agree.

MB

11. In the book or the documentary?

12. In the book. I can't put my finger on it (and no it's not talking in the third person) but he just does not come across well at all.

MB

13. Give the bloke a break. It was his first book, it told a story honestly and in more or less his own words. I expect Task Force Helmand will be an improvement on the literary front.

14. Give the bloke a break, he probably used a ghost writer so the "feel" of the account may differ from his personality. And don't forget that military operations are fractured and difficult to convey in the written word. They do not flow like a well planned novel and agents/publishers sometimes do not understand this, so they prefer that authors/ghost writers to stick to traditional layouts and styles, messing about with the flow and timelines in the misguided belief that it will make the book reader friendly (yes - publishers do think that the book buying public are un-educated fools and need their guidance).

So again, give Doug a break.

(disclaimer - I am not Doug, his father, brother or any member of his immediate family, neither a friend or former comrade in arms nor his agent or publisher 8) )

15. Just finished it, Good read.