A Good news Story ?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Okay, doing my best here:
A Christmas "Thank You" to our Forces
14/12/2005

More than 19,000 boxes packed full of gifts are being sent to service personnel deployed on operations this Christmas.

The last few boxes - or 'square stockings'- will leave RAF Fairford tomorrow, and will be distributed to British bases in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Balkans as a way of saying thanks to service personnel for their hard work and commitment.

Don Touhig, Under Secretary of State for Defence was at Wellington Barracks in London this morning where he helped load the last the boxes into a truck bound for the airport.

He wanted to thank the sponsors and trustees of charity UK4UThanks! for donating the boxes and the Defence Logistics Organisation for transporting them all over the world in time for Christmas.

Mr Touhig said:

"Christmas can be a difficult and lonely time for our personnel away from home at Christmas. They are doing an important and often dangerous job on our behalf. We want to make their Christmas as festive as possible.

"Following the very positive feedback we received from many of those who received a Christmas Box last year, we were delighted when UK4UThanks! were able to repeat a similar venture this year. I am pleased that our Armed Forces have been able to facilitate their production and delivery of the boxes."

The boxes, which were also delivered last year, recall the gesture of the 17 year old Princess Mary, daughter of King George V and Queen Mary in 1914 when she introduced the idea that everyone wearing the King's uniform and serving overseas on Christmas day should receive 'a gift from the nation'.

The charity, UK4UThanks!, was established earlier this year after last year's box was so well received by British troops. Everyone receiving one of the boxes also has the chance this year of winning prizes through a draw that will take place in the New Year.

A box has been sent to every location where there are Armed Forces currently serving on operational tours of duty overseas; these include current theatres such as Iraq and Afghanistan and other locations such as the Falkland Islands, Ascension Islands and Diego Garcia. Each individual member of the military and MoD civil servants serving in these locations will be provided with a box. The Defence Logistics Organisation has transported the boxes, which are the same dimensions as the standard daily Ration Pack, within the existing logistics supply chain using irreducible spare capacity.

The Armed Forces Christmas Box augments the Operational Welfare Package (OWP) provided by the MoD. The OWP is provided to members of the Armed Forces deployed to operational theatre or exercises of two months duration or more. It includes free phone calls, postal services, Internet access and a range of other benefits. An extra 20 minutes of publicly funded phone calls and a free postal packet service are provided for those deployed over Christmas, as well as a number of additional food lines and other items of Christmas cheer.

The Armed Forces Christmas Box 2005 is sponsored by (Snip various industrial hoods of variable character, the biggest of which has ripped MoD off for forty years...), The Worshipful Company of Carmen, The Worshipful Company of Cooks of London, and Parcel Force.
ahhhhh......warm fuzzy feelings yet?

Anyway, a Merry Christmas and a Peaceful New Year to all those rough types (male and female) standing by in furrin parts to do violence on my behalf, that I may sleep peacefully in my little scratcher...thanks people! :)

Goatman

Kitmarlowe said:
Can't be Good news story...Tony Bliar's not in the story
I wish you hadn't posted that. The next thing you know there will be a photo shoot in the Mi**or with all the happy family packing little treats in boxes....

The boxes, which were also delivered last year, recall the gesture of the 17 year old Princess Mary, daughter of King George V and Queen Mary in 1914 when she introduced the idea that everyone wearing the King's uniform and serving overseas on Christmas day should receive 'a gift from the nation'.
Not really. The boxes and their contents are provided by corporate sponsors and charity. A gift from the nation would be organised and paid for by the government. Still, if the disgraceful medals fiasco is anything to go by it's probably just as well - 2005 Christmas box in July 09, anyone?

One of the older, more sarky, lads in Iraq did a Donar card expressing who you didn't want to visit you in Hospital if you were injured. Top choices were Tony Blair and Geoff Hoon. Oddly enough, quite a few of the more adult senior Officers took a copy when they saw one.