A good landing...

Travelgall

LE
Kit Reviewer
I suspect he isn't going to get his first choice of Fast Jet post Commissioning.

Not necessarily a crab.

What is it with these crap airfix kit plastic 1:1 scale Grob Tutors? Props falling off, crashing into each other, other tech problems and several fleet groundings? What a shit aeroplane. Or is it the shit PFI contractor (VT Aerospace?) looking after them?

I don't ever recall an accident or fleet grounding with the Chipmunk when I was an air cadet and CI. And they were mostly 30 to 35 years old when I was flying in them as a teenager.

It is the fact they are flown by the Royal Air Farce that makes them crash.

How hard is it?

Start engine, use engine to move, take off, stick forward, cows bigger etc...It ain't hard.

G

I saw at one place:

'Take-off optional...landing compulsory!'

Anyway, we all hate Crabs so that is alright.

G

In my flying school there was a notice "Learn to fly for £50, learn to land for £2,950
Even cheper at the Al qaeda kamikazi school of flying.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What is it with these crap airfix kit plastic 1:1 scale Grob Tutors? Props falling off, crashing into each other, other tech problems and several fleet groundings? What a shit aeroplane. Or is it the shit PFI contractor (VT Aerospace?) looking after them?

I don't ever recall an accident or fleet grounding with the Chipmunk when I was an air cadet and CI. And they were mostly 30 to 35 years old when I was flying in them as a teenager.

That's because all the crap ones had already crashed leaving only good ones!

Well..... It's the right way up, three black bits are touching the ground, all the major bits still seem to be attached and it looks like they just had to pop the lid and hop out. If it was an engine failure I'd say job well done to the crabling/instructor!

F

fozzy

That's because all the crap ones had already crashed leaving only good ones!
To be honest, the Chippie was essentially as about a complex as a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower! Not much to go wrong and pretty agricultural. Which is why it was so good!

it doesn't follow that he did something wrong - far from it. Maybe he lost the engine at low altitude, couldn't make it back to the runway, and had to force-land. As far as I can see, the plane appears to be intact and they walked away. That's a good landing.

Do my eyes deceive me or has he lost a big chunk off the top of the tail?

Well..... It's the right way up, three black bits are touching the ground, all the major bits still seem to be attached and it looks like they just had to pop the lid and hop out. If it was an engine failure I'd say job well done to the crabling/instructor!
Fair comment, but it's the BBC so it has to be crash landing due to pilot error, poor weather, heavy lifting gear required etc. etc.

How far was it from the nearest junior school?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Current Affairs, News and Analysis 36
L Infantry 1
TheWarden Aviation 5